• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape's New iPad App!

Actually it's very easy. Composite A/V out from the player to an Axis 241Q/2191 encoder and you can view Kaleidescape (or any other composite video source) at 576i/25 on an iPad. It works for me....

I'm forgetting - does the M class K player output a composite video out even when watching a blu-ray?

Yes, M-Class outputs 480/576i on the composite output for BR content. This can be a very handy "fail safe" feature. If your HDMI link goes all whacky for some reason you can always see what the M-Class player is doing by plugging it into a composite monitor.

...there are a number of ways you can watch it on iPad. Web browser works, just point it at the IP of the encoder.

Also worthy of mention. I can also check in real time what the kids are watching on the Kaleidescape system at home from anywhere in the world (I've set up port forwarding rules for the encoder in the router). Not only that, I have the capability to operate the Kalediescape system remotely as well (this is easy to do, with my Wiser home automation controller, only I haven't set it up yet). So I'd be able to watch any movie from my Kaleidescape system on my iPad anywhere in the world that I have an internet connection.

Anyways, my original point still stands. It would be nice if this functionality were integrated into the kaleidescape iPad app.

Anyways, my original point still stands. It would be nice if this functionality were integrated into the kaleidescape iPad app.
Agreed,
And I also have my kaleidescape output to AXIS encoders. I have all of the sources including video cameras sent to the encoders as well. I can view all of these on the ipad. The only issue here is there is no sound and the video is not fluid by any means. Its good enough to browse and select movies but thats about it.

I have my K player streaming component video to my ipad via a Monsoon Vulkano on an app provided for that.. Hi def content streams around 4mps which is hectic, and in order to control you have to switch between the Vulkano app and the KS app.. it would be so nice if the KS app could stream direct from the K server, and i've no doubt its possible.. there must be some reason why they don't do this?

.. it would be so nice if the KS app could stream direct from the K server, and i've no doubt its possible.. there must be some reason why they don't do this?

Pure speculation, but maybe they haven't done it yet because nobody has asked for it? I too would like to be able to stream content from the server to the iPad, particularly to the WAN side. But my internet maxes out at 0.4Mbps upload so that will probably be a limiting factor here. But from the LAN side my wireless can do 300 Mbps which is more than enough bandwidth for streaming several BR movies simultaneously.

Tom Barnett follows the forum discussion from time-to-time. Maybe he can comment whether it's on their radar as a new feature...I'd certainly like to see it happen.

I have my K player streaming component video to my ipad via a Monsoon Vulkano on an app provided for that.. Hi def content streams around 4mps which is hectic, and in order to control you have to switch between the Vulkano app and the KS app.. it would be so nice if the KS app could stream direct from the K server, and i've no doubt its possible.. there must be some reason why they don't do this?

I don't have a Volkano, but it has an IR blaster and in theory should have codes for one of the DVD players that the Kscape client will emulate. So why can't you setup the blaster so that the Volkano app will control the Kscape player directly instead of having to switch apps?

--Donnie

I have my K player streaming component video to my ipad via a Monsoon Vulkano on an app provided for that..

Never heard of Monsoon Multimedia before so just checked out their website and bought a Vulkano Lava. Regular $199, on sale today only $139. And the shipping rate to Australia was a pretty good deal as well :)

Never heard of Monsoon Multimedia before so just checked out their website and bought a Vulkano Lava. Regular $199, on sale today only $139. And the shipping rate to Australia was a pretty good deal as well :)

I'm curious what people here think of them. They don't seem to get great reviews...not horrible, mind you, but not great. Sounds like the codecs might just be okay and the setup not terribly refined...

--Donnie

it would be so nice if the KS app could stream direct from the K server, and i've no doubt its possible.. there must be some reason why they don't do this?

That would move content outside their black-box, while still in a pure/digital-form, wouldn't it? My guess would be that's where the hiccup falls.

The update is now on the Apple App Store. There is also an icon link to the the new Store.

Ptrubey's ipad streaming request moved here

Back