• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape's Appeal Denied

Just some random thoughts........ On the one hand the CCA will have changed their agreements as you point out. So the door K went through is likely closed.

If memory serves we pay a licensing fee to use the K system. That alone was a fairly substantial amount of money and if anyone were to adopt a server system they would have to use such an agreement.

I have been told by several industry people that the studios all want to go to streaming/ DLs not physical discs.

But supposing companies could get around the purported CCA restrictions... Seems to me we are in a transition period from physical media to downloads/ streaming and if I were a studio or even a consumer electronics company, I would want people to be streaming everything, giving me a little bite of the apple each time content is used. To build on your idea, I bet many people would be lazy enough to repurchase content if it were seemingly inexpensive enough, rather than deal with the hassle of putting discs in a tray. But if they did have the cheap and simple server that was cheap enough they might warehouse the content and then that would harm a nascent streaming/ DL market.... I know many people who have a ton of CDs yet they repurchased the same content via iTunes.

Back