• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape's Appeal Denied

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Well, the California Supreme Court is not going to take up Kaleidescape's appeal on the recent appellate court decision. Now it's back in the hands of the Santa Clara County Court to determine what happens next.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354821,00.asp

Lawyers here on the forum please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that what the courts have now determined is that the General Specifications WERE a part of the contract that Kaleidescape signed. Kaleidescape has maintained that they were never a part of the contract. This supreme court denial probably now establishes for good that those specs WERE a part of the contract. There has not yet been a finding of a breach of that contract yet, and my guess is that will now be the next step for the DVD-CCA... to prove that in court, which may still not be so easy to show.

Remains to be seen if DVD-CCA can now go forward and prove that there's been breach of the contract, prove harm, if they'll seek an injunction, etc. Each of those steps has its own hurdles and challenges for the plaintiff.

So, this isn't good news, but I imagine there are many more steps to go in this process before there's a resolution. So I'll resist taking the alarmist view this time and will be eager to hear what some of my more legally-informed colleagues here have to say about the likely path going forward...

--josh

I would like to see the decision.

I am not so sure the conclusion you are drawing is correct: that the provisions are a part of the contract. There is a chance there is some wiggle room in there. I would have to really review all the decisions to know for sure.

On a practical level, I think they will find a way to get things worked out.

After having read the appellate court decision again, now for the 5th time, the trial court and the parties have some work to do.

The concurring opinion has many gems, but the more interesting issue is presented at the end, where the concurrence notes:

"This suggests that, in some cases at least, a belatedly disclosed restriction may lose some or all of its contractual force because there was no reason it could not be disclosed prior to the promisor‟s entry into the agreement. The restriction should also be required to fall within the zone of reasonable expectation from the perspective of the licensee. This criterion might be implicated by an undisclosed restriction unrelated to the subject matter of the agreement, or one that unexpectedly impaired the economic value of the licensed information or technology.
These criteria will have to be fine-tuned, and others may have to be articulated, as this area of the law evolves in light of commercial practice and judicial experience. In my view, however, they or something like them should determine whether the General Specifications were contractually binding on Kaleidescape. I would remand the matter to the trial court to consider that question in light of these and similar considerations."

CCA argued that K breached sections 1.5 and 2.1.2. Section 1.5 states that CSS is concerned with preventing casual users from unauthorized copying. I think breach of section 1.5 is tough to prove, as it does appear to relate to the purpose of the agreement, not a restriction on activities of the licensee. K has also taken steps to comply with section 1.5 by having all owners agree to not copying content not owned, as well as other steps to prevent serial copying by owners. Section 1.5 will not likely be the crux of the disputes when this case returns to the trial court.

The real issue is breach of section 2.1.2, which apparently requires disc in tray for playback. The interesting point here is that CCA could have disclosed this requirement (and other similar requirements of a very low technical level) before K agreed to the contract. If that's true, the trial court could rule that K is not bound by 2.1.2 and therefore there is no breach. Such a ruling preserves the rule of law stated by the appellate court that certain contractual provisions can bind the parties without being disclosed before contract formation, yet those undisclosed provisions are part of the agreement. Other items that "unexpectedly impaired the economic value of the licensed information or technology" must be disclosed if there is not a valid basis for the belated disclosure. It's hard to imagine a valid basis for not disclosing that all licensed equipment using CSS requires the disc to be in the tray prior to playback.

This follows the example of the franchisee and secret recipes in the opinion. The franchisor can rightfully withhold secret recipes that need to be followed by a franchisee, but must disclose that secret recipes are being withheld, and if those recipes are not followed, there will be a breach. This would prevent the franchisor from not disclosing some other hidden gem like "franchisee is required to buy uber-expensive mixing machine from franchisor in order to implement required secret recipes." For something like this to be enforceable, even if not disclosed upfront, the franchisor would be required to initially disclose that 1) secret recipes are being withheld and 2) machine of $X cost must be purchased by franchisee before the franchisee entered into the agreement.

In this case, CCA could rightfully withhold the decryption keys and other truly confidential information that needs to be both protected from disclosure to the public and also implemented by a licensed device. K would be bound by those confidential techical specifications withheld, but later disclosed. CCA, however, could not withhold important information from a licensee where the non-disclosure is not justified on confidential grounds. With that understanding, CCA cannot enforce section 2.1.2 (disc in tray requirement) against K because CCA could have, and should have, disclosed 2.1.2 at the outset of the agreement, but withheld that disclosure without an adequate justification.

Maybe this is wishful thinking and a hyper-technical point, but it seems fairly logical. What if, as part of the later technical requirements, CCA now wants to require all licensed devices to become inoperable after 500 DVDs are played?

The appellate court suggests that type of later-disclosed restriction may be a valid post-agreement restriction that can be incorporated and enforced, if one accepts the proposition that ALL later-disclosed terms are enforceable.

It seems the concurrence recognizes that there needs to be some boundary as to what must be disclosed upfront for enforceability purposes, or a licensee may not receive the bargained-for exchange because the actual exchange (license) might not be commercially reasonable, had the licensee understood the restriction at the contract formation stage.

K will likely press the position that "a belatedly disclosed restriction may lose some or all of its contractual force because there was no reason it [section 2.1.2] could not be disclosed prior to the promisor's entry into the agreement." From what is stated in the opinion, CCA is going to have address this in a very creative way.

Although I am an IP lawyer, none of this constitutes legal advice, just my humble opinion as a Kscape owner.

Jay

Last edited:
Very well discussed Jay, and I'm in agreement with your statement of the facts presented to date. That said, this will likely drag on for years unless the parties decide to settle.

Jim

Nice summary of the meat of the case, Jay, thanks. If K does a good job arguing what you pointed out, I would hope the court rules in K's favor.

Thanks Jay. Really appreciate the insightful post. I think K also has the benefit of common sense- the CCA position is that they can change the rules of the game after the game begins. No one appreciates that.

Wow... ok so what if K started selling carousels that held 400 discs each, copied the discs, and held them in there- all playback was done through the hard drive system with all the speed and convenience, but removing a disc from the carousel automatically deleted it from your library?

I envision OS upgrades, firmware updates, and at-cost selling of the carousel hardware- they do not have to be expensive- K would not need to make a profit of it.

I could see this being a workable settlement. As if it drags on for years, this can only be bad for K, even if the educated consumer does not think it is a big deal.

While having a seperate unit house discs could be a workaround, it certainly isn't elegant and would take more space than the server. A 3U server with 1TB drives can hold 1800 titles. How many rack spaces would one need to hold 1800 discs even if they were spindle loaded and not random access? This really would skyrocket the cost and space requirements of a Kaleidescape system and for the boating market space certainly is a premium. When 2TB drives come out, how much space will one need? My carousel is 5U and at 400 discs per, that would be 45U to hold the discs for a fully loaded 3U server.

With regards to selling hardware for no profit, a sale with no profit is a favor with risk.

Kaleidescape should still have a real hard arguement for the CSS to defeat: Why was "the disc must be present in the tray for playback" such a trade secret that it couldn't be disclosed until somebody paid a substantial sum of money to find that out?

Can We Do Anything?

Why was "the disc must be present in the tray for playback" such a trade secret that it couldn't be disclosed until somebody paid a substantial sum of money to find that out?

That is a really good question...

This may be naive, but why is this lawsuit in existence? Does the CSS not want people to buy more DVDs? I am not familiar with how (or if, for that matter) Kaleidescape may compensate owners of content with the sale of systems, but again, I really do believe that people buy more DVDs when they can use them in this fashion. There are people all over the place using services like Blockbuster or Netflix to rip DVDs into iTunes illegally. I'm not sure what percentage of the subscription the owners of the content get on a Netflix subscription, but for $9/month, I bet it ain't much. On the other hand, I just bought 24 more DVDs the other day (granted, a great deal on woot.com), and I probably buy 25-50 each time I walk into Sam's Club, never mind new releases when they come out. Personally, I never bought anywhere near what I do now. So I just wonder, 'why?'

Would it help to write letters of support, or anything like that?

Thanks, Steven

No it wouldn't help. The CCA is an organization that is composed not only of hollywood studios, but also large CE equipment vendors (like Sony, Panasonic, etc.). Sony will sell a lot more DVD changers if Kaleidescape goes under. My suspicion is that the studios are absolutely clueless when it comes to playback technology and copy control mechanisms leaving the equipment manufacturers to run the show.

Well, then there is the theory that the DVD CCA lawyers are running their own show with no adult supervision...

I buy that more. How many clients does Kaleidescape have? I have no idea but lets take a wild guess- lets say its 10,000. How many of those would have bought a changer instead of a big dollar server? I dont know how to measure that but lets be generous and say its 50%. So thats 5,000 potential sales- and how long as K been selling to the market, since 2003? Thats like 6 years so, lets make it easy and just say its 1,000 potential changers that could have been sold that weren't. While that number is not insubstantial, whats the profit margin on a DVD changer? It can't be more than $100. So thats $100,000 a year, I am guessing at a maximum. And I am skeptical of this because changers are more apt to be under threat from the streaming devices than a system like K. Im just playing with numbers here but my point is K really can't be hurting the DVD changer market too badly- so what is their beef? My guess is they would like K's interface and control and maybe parts of that are copyrighted or trademarked or otherwise protected. So if you force the company into capitulation then you can get your hands on that which you want. Just my 2 cents.

Big picture approach - just a thought. The CCA does not care about Kaleidescape. It is fearful of what the technology represents. K was essentially first to market with what the CCA considers the nuclear bomb - a system that destroys the DVD consumer market. The CCA knows and understands that K owners, on the whole, don't rent and import DVDs. K owners buy DVDs and/or already have a substantial DVD collection. My collection is greater than 1400 titles and I can't store everything I have on my 2 5U servers. The CCA is concerned about some company coming out with a $300 2TB server that allows imports to the masses, impacting sales because those individuals will seek to rent and import. This case is 5 years old. CCA will be relevant for another 7-12 years and they'd like nothing better than to thwart the company selling the $300 2TB server. This was a shot across the bow by the CCA, and guess what, it worked. Only RealNetworks has stepped into the fray and they were slapped back. The K owners, from the perspective of the CCA, are just collateral damage for the moment.

Now consider that the CCA could amend the agreement with tiers of persistent storage for equipment sellers based on a licensing fee of $100 for less than 500 GB, $300 for 1TB and $500 for greater than 1TB. Figure in actual component costs and it may be more difficult for a seller to break into the sub-$300 market for a device that really concerns the CCA.

Just my 2 cents.
Jay

Well, all BluRays sold after 12/4/09 are required to conform to managed copy specs, even without any equipment ready to actually manage the copies. So could K lose to the DVD CCA and just stop allowing the import of DVDs or something, and switch over to BluRay exclusively?

........So could K lose to the DVD CCA and just stop allowing the import of DVDs or something, and switch over to BluRay exclusively?

I would think they could.

Jim

Big picture approach - just a thought. The CCA does not care about Kaleidescape. It is fearful of what the technology represents. K was essentially first to market with what the CCA considers the nuclear bomb - a system that destroys the DVD consumer market. [...]/quote]

ding ding ding! we have a winner!

spot-on.

I wonder how much the bottom-line is being impacted by legal costs at K. I think it might partly explain why the HD costs are still being held so high. If K prevail though, it really doesn't bode particularly well for low-cost media servers in the future since the CCA can just tinker with future contracts. Would K pass on the savings of legal expenses at that point (assuming they've recouped them) or just go into "gouge mode" to exploit an effective monopoly. What we really need to drive competition, and the accompanying reduction in prices and innovation in features, is for the RealNetworks case to succeed for RN. However, it looks like Patel was hand-picked by the media companies and she is acting like a very compliant lap-dog.

Back