• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Video Quality Not Always The Best… I found

In case of transfer like The Thin Red Line... can K not fix the glaring issues such as horrible fuzzy grain before publishing it ? I am not saying to make it like a Stellar Criterion Look as they dont have the best file... but just refine it some..
The partnership would be awesome and I will pay a premium - Criterion List price every time
I'm sure it's possible, I was speaking in a more general request tone, in that these are two companies that were founded on a love of movies, and good movies, and could potentially bring some new titles to the K store. Sure there's the added benefit that sometimes Criterion has access to higher quality masters, but just for the selection alone, I love Criterion and their taste in film. Would love to see them curate a special collection on K.

Great opinions and ideas. Just to add a few minor details..

In the case of the Thin Red Line, there might be an encoding error on the Kaleidescape master. So far all disc releases in all territories got the same master Criterion used. All the reviews I read and the comparison shots I saw suggest that there are very minor differences (if any) between the Criterion release and other Blu-ray releases. It is curious why Kaleidescape version is significantly behind. I suspect it is some encoding artifact that adds the grain and makes the image soft.

In the case of adding Criterion to Kaleidescape, the physical disc and digital rights are not the same. Some of the Criterion releases are public domain (no owner), some are licensed by Criterion and some are on special permits from major studios to Criterion. If Kaleidescape added Criterion to the store, you can expect most the of the public domain and Criterion owned titles appear in the store but I highly doubt those which are under special permit from the major studios will appear under Criterion. I am pretty sure, we wouldn’t get the Criterion version the Thin Red Line for instance. It’s not that Criterion wouldn’t welcome more revenue coming from the Kaleidescape store but they are not the owner of the property to publish it in digital in the first place. They are simply under contract with Fox to release their property in disc media only in the US for 10 years (or whatever the contract duration is).

In the case of different cuts, typically, the theatrical cut is the director’s cut. When television was much more relevant, before the streaming and DVD days, they would make special broadcast versions of blockbusters so that they would fit into a 2 or 3 hour block perfectly with TV commercials inserted in. Superman The Movie, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Godfather Epic 1901-1959 are a few that comes to mind. Later in the DVD era, they also created extended editions but without a true purpose other than double dipping on sales. There are exceptions where the director returned for the new version and ended up preferring the new cut. In the case of Terrence Malick films, the Theatrical cuts are the Director’s Cuts. James Cameron, Ridley Scott, and Francis For Coppola are some of the few directors who return for extended or different cuts of their previous films. I believe Ridley Scott prefers the theatrical cut of Alien but he was forced by the studio to add additional scenes for the sake of a Director’s Cut. James Cameron was even more enthusiastic about his films showing later in the television, he created full screen versions from the Super35 film negatives for Terminator 2, The Abyss, True Lies and Titanic. These broadcast versions, Director‘s Pan & Scan Edition, are open matte in most scenes where you can see more in the upper and lower sides of the frame. So this is not an easy answer whether one should always chose the extended version over the theatrical. I guess it is safer to pick the theatrical cuts, especially for movies made in the 2000s and later.

I'm sure it's possible, I was speaking in a more general request tone, in that these are two companies that were founded on a love of movies, and good movies, and could potentially bring some new titles to the K store. Sure there's the added benefit that sometimes Criterion has access to higher quality masters, but just for the selection alone, I love Criterion and their taste in film. Would love to see them curate a special collection on K.
I definitely think K-store needs a wider selection of foreign films: Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Fellini, Kieslowski, etc. etc. etc. This would likely require a deal with the studios that own the copyright though (Too, Mosfilm, Canal+), as Criterion licenses most of their releases.

In the case of different cuts, typically, the theatrical cut is the director’s cut.
I would argue with this one point. The theatrical releases are not always director's preferred versions. Most directors do not have final cut on their films, they are bound by contracts to fulfill certain obligations to the studio, and often the ratings board demands that content be removed to get a desired rating. So most directors do not have complete control over what version of the film is released in theaters. In some cases studios have allowed directors to go back and create a new version of the film that, presumably, they would have preferred in the first place. That may include restoring content that was removed to accommodate the ratings board or to accommodate an annoying studio executive, or just having second thoughts about something. Peter Jackson shots hours of additional footage to create his Extended Editions of LOTR - even though he says he prefers the Theatrical Cuts (I think he's wrong about that!) As you point out, Ridley Scott prefers the Theatrical cut of "Alien," but not "Blade Runner." (Incidentally, the two cuts of "Alien" are nearly identical in length, so he not only inserted that missing scene of Ridley discovering the hive into the extended version, but removed content as well.) So which is the "definitive" version really depends on each individual case. Worth paying attention, I suppose, to whether it's called a Director's Cut or an Extended Cut. That may give us a clue as to the director's preferences. But sometimes directors are wrong!

I would argue with this one point. The theatrical releases are not always director's preferred versions. Most directors do not have final cut on their films, they are bound by contracts to fulfill certain obligations to the studio, and often the ratings board demands that content be removed to get a desired rating. So most directors do not have complete control over what version of the film is released in theaters. In some cases studios have allowed directors to go back and create a new version of the film that, presumably, they would have preferred in the first place. That may include restoring content that was removed to accommodate the ratings board or to accommodate an annoying studio executive, or just having second thoughts about something. Peter Jackson shots hours of additional footage to create his Extended Editions of LOTR - even though he says he prefers the Theatrical Cuts (I think he's wrong about that!) As you point out, Ridley Scott prefers the Theatrical cut of "Alien," but not "Blade Runner." (Incidentally, the two cuts of "Alien" are nearly identical in length, so he not only inserted that missing scene of Ridley discovering the hive into the extended version, but removed content as well.) So which is the "definitive" version really depends on each individual case. Worth paying attention, I suppose, to whether it's called a Director's Cut or an Extended Cut. That may give us a clue as to the director's preferences. But sometimes directors are wrong!
My point was if the theatrical cut is the last version the director worked on therefore that is the director’s cut. All later versions the director is not involved in can not qualify as the director’s cut. We just made it very clear it is very complicated and worth paying attention to as in some case’s like in Alien and Lotr, the director may prefer the theatrical cut. Lucas cuts and edits all his films on every few years. SW has a 1977 theatrical cut, a 1981 cut, 1997 special editions, 2004 DVD cut, 2011 Blu-ray cut and 2017 cuts. A lot of fans including me likes the theatrical cut as most of the new CGI elements don’t add much to the story but stand in the way of the beautiful practical and optical effects. Lucas says the final version is closer to what he envisioned in his mind back in 1977 but couldn’t make it with the technology at the time. I respect this. I watch all versions, my favorites are the 1977 theatrical, 1997 special editions and the final 4K cuts.

For me, this is why it's disappointing to see Kaleidescape drop support for discs (no 4k Blu-ray player). I have many of my favorite movies that are not available in the K store. I can play my regular Blu-rays through my Alto, but how much longer will K be providing metadata support for new physical discs? I can't help but feel it's going to get worse. I want K to be the eco-system where I have access to all of my movies, whether digital or on disc.

The funny thing is I've actually started buying more discs the last few years because of the amount of awesome small-label releases with an amazing treatment of special features. I find myself using my 4K Blu-ray player as much as my K system.

My point was if the theatrical cut is the last version the director worked on therefore that is the director’s cut. All later versions the director is not involved in can not qualify as the director’s cut. We just made it very clear it is very complicated and worth paying attention to as in some case’s like in Alien and Lotr, the director may prefer the theatrical cut. Lucas cuts and edits all his films on every few years. SW has a 1977 theatrical cut, a 1981 cut, 1997 special editions, 2004 DVD cut, 2011 Blu-ray cut and 2017 cuts. A lot of fans including me likes the theatrical cut as most of the new CGI elements don’t add much to the story but stand in the way of the beautiful practical and optical effects. Lucas says the final version is closer to what he envisioned in his mind back in 1977 but couldn’t make it with the technology at the time. I respect this. I watch all versions, my favorites are the 1977 theatrical, 1997 special editions and the final 4K cuts.
I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying the version released in theaters is not necessarily the director's version of the movie. It's not even always the last version the director worked on. For example, at the end of the most recent "Thor: Love and Thunder" movie, director Taika Waititi was surprised to find out that "Thor will return" when he saw the movie at the premiere.

Back