• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Store Interesting Finds including Exclusives

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Some of the Kaleidescape content gets overlooked because they aren’t in 4K or they aren’t recent releases. I came across some content on the store which are somewhat unique, either because of their technical specifications, or the content itself or the version of the content is exclusive to the Kaleidescape Store.

Titan A.E. (2000) was one of my first purchases on the store. It is an excellent sci-fi film with very good animation. It is available only on DVD on the physical media side. The store has it in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 which makes it the definitive version on the planet.

The Alamo (1962) is available on Blu-ray disc in Germany and France but the US market got only a DVD release.

The first 3 seasons of SG-1 were shot on 16mm film and edited on D-3 composite digital tape (480i). There is a Blu-ray disc release which uses the 480i master up-converted to HD. It has a Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtracks. The Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is up-mixed poorly from the 2ch master. The Kaleidescape versions are in SD however they are 70GB to 80GB in size. The previously released DVDs were approximately 40GB per season. Kaleidescape versios are true to the 480i masters with the highest bitrates therefore the definitive home video versions on the planet.

As far as I know Stargate Origins: Catherine (2018) did not get any physical media release anywhere. The K store has the definitive version for the planet.

The Kstore version is the new remastered version. The Blu-ray disc version is bundled on a single disc with Sherlock Jr.

There is an Australian Blu-ray disc release bundled with 2 other Jesse Stone movies with Dolby Digital audio soundtrack. The Kstore version has DTS-HD MA 5.1 (and English subtitles).

Disney Movie Club Exclusives:
These are Blu-ray discs that Disney released exclusive to the Disney Movie Club members. Most of them are already Out of Print and very difficult to find.

Idiocracy is not released on Blu-ray discs anywhere.

Ember is not released on Blu-ray discs anywhere.

Not Available on Blu-ray disc for the US market:

Not sure why, but Flight of the Navigator, included in you Disney list above shows as unavailable currently. Is this one that you bought previously and perhaps now been removed. I did pick it up on apple not so long back for nostalgia reasons (along with a last Starfighter).

Not sure why, but Flight of the Navigator, included in you Disney list above shows as unavailable currently. Is this one that you bought previously and perhaps now been removed. I did pick it up on apple not so long back for nostalgia reasons (along with a last Starfighter).
Flight of the Navigator is currently available on the Canadian store.

Flight of the Navigator is currently available on the Canadian store.
Ahhhh. Shame. I don’t have a Canadian account and TBH had assumed naively that the US and Canadian movie stores were likely the same. I know the uk store has a far smaller range. Thanks for the clarification.

Not available on Blu-ray discs in the US. There is a German Blu-ray disc release.

Titan A.E. (2000) was one of my first purchases on the store. It is an excellent sci-fi film with very good animation. It is available only on DVD on the physical media side. The store has it in HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 which makes it the definitive version on the planet.
Unless you count all the extras on DVD, not on K...
As far as I know Stargate Origins: Catherine (2018) did not get any physical media release anywhere. The K store has the definitive version for the planet.
While we may remember when K did discs, haven't they pivoted to be more of a digital retailer now? You can find SG: Catherine (series or movie) digitally in multiple places, so how you are defining "definitive"? (Being limited to movie-form only could be considered a strike against.)

Unless you count all the extras on DVD, not on K...

While we may remember when K did discs, haven't they pivoted to be more of a digital retailer now? You can find SG: Catherine (series or movie) digitally in multiple places, so how you are defining "definitive"? (Being limited to movie-form only could be considered a strike against.)
Definitive in terms of offering the best presentation for the original content itself. Since none of the other digital retailers offer lossless audio and Blu-ray disc like video bitrates, they don’t compare to Kaleidescape. In the absence of a disc release, Kaleidescape store offers the best video and audio presentation of these original contents.

We have the extended version of Dune (1984) on the store.

The extended version is 2 hours 57 mins whereas the theatrical version is 2 hours 17 mins.

You can access the extended version by downloading the SD version. Your system will start downloading SD versions of both theatrical and extended versions as separate download streams. You can immediately cancel the theatrical version download as you can get this version in HD (or UHD from the UK store).

The extended version has some nice moments. For example the longer opening prologue gives you a lot more information about the Dune timeline. I wouldn’t call this a better version though. Extra scenes are poorly put together and they removed some great scenes from the theatrical version. David Lynch has no involvement with this version (He asked the producers to remove his name). Nevertheless, if you are fan of Dune (1984) as I am, you need this version in your library.

The extended version has been available on DVD for many years. The picture quality is surprisingly good for a DVD. I don’t believe there has been any HD release besides the German Blu-ray disc release from a few years ago (up-converted from SD source).

IMG_0419.jpeg

Disney Movie Club Exclusives:
These are Blu-ray discs that Disney released exclusive to the Disney Movie Club members. Most of them are already Out of Print and very difficult to find.

Many of these Disney Movie Club exclusives have been on sale on the store.

You need to become the Disney Movie Club member to be able to buy these titles in Blu-ray discs. They aren’t available from other vendors. Disney prints a limited number of them in Blu-ray discs and no reprints. Most of the above titles are already out of print. You can still watch these titles on Disney Plus however in low bitrate streaming quality.

Idiocracy is not released on Blu-ray discs anywhere.

Ember is not released on Blu-ray discs anywhere.

Not Available on Blu-ray disc for the US market:
Idiocracy was one of my first purchases on K. Always liked that movie and was happy to upgrade my DVD copy

Open Range in HD and DTS-HD MA on K, only available on DVD in US.

This is a great western! If you have missed it, check it out!

...and if you want a blu that will play on an (unmodified) US player, it's currently going for $104.99 on eBay.
Thats's one for K...

One of my favorite westerns, along with Unforgiven (the best IMO).

Jim

Stumbled upon The Guest (HDR/UHD) last night for $14.99. Believe that one is just a disc in Europe region. It's got cheesy action that feels like a horror movie at times. Fun popcorn flick.

...and if you want a blu that will play on an (unmodified) US player, it's currently going for $104.99 on eBay.
Thats's one for K...
50 Euros on Amazon France.

I haven't seen this before but I will based on the recommendations here. I believe it was on sale on the K store a couple of months ago. I will get it on the next sale.

Have you seen the HBO movie "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"? I heard it is very good. We don't have it on the K store yet.

I didn't know about this movie before then I came across this short clip by chance. 4 minutes of dialog which is very powerful and educational. The cast of the film seems magnificent too.

Back