• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

FOR SALE: Kaleidescape Set of ( 3 ) 4TB. KDISK-4000-L With WARRANTY!! RARE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1highvelocity

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
PLEASE READ:
Excellent Working Condition-Mostly Clean Looking
Very Minor Scuffs Here and There
Recently Upgraded With the Latest Software Version
No Other Parts or Accessories Included
Shipping Cost Includes Special Care And Handling With Insurance
Local Pick-Up OK

This is a Set of Three Kaleidescape KDISK-4000-L Drives that Work great! SUPER RARE ITEM!!!

WARRANTY:
KDISK-4000-L---PK2334PBGS1ULT--Expires on 2/21/2018
KDISK-4000-L---PK2334PBGS1UYT--Expires on 3/16/2018
KDISK-4000-L---PK2334PCKLZNHB--Expires on 9/1/2018

NOTE:
For an additional cost you can add up to two additional years of extended warranty on all the drives because there still in warranty.
The cost would be $ 95.00 per Drive per year.
Then the warranty’s would expire in 2020

IMPORTANT NOTE:
These drives were just Reinitialize to fit a 3U Server K-5000 Server
They will only work in a 3U server.
You can not separate them.
All three drives must be used in the 3U Server.
If you separate them they will not work.

STORAGE CAPACITY:
As configured now these three 4TB. Drive will hold about 105 Bluray’s or 581 Dvd’s or 6,498 Cd’s
Each additional 4TB. Drive you add will hold about 134 Bluray’s or 600 Dvd’s or 7,000 Cd’s

No Other Parts or Accessories Included.

Asking $ 1,650.00

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The Seller has indicated they will only work in a 3U Server, but you might want to verify that with Seller because the listing also indicates they have been "reinitialized," and normally reinitialized drives can be placed in ANY server, and can even be separated (i.e. they are treated as separate individual drives just as if they came from K). While I suppose it's possible, I'm unaware of a "partial" reinitialization process that only allows them to work in a 3U, and only together as a group. That limitation usually only applies to drives that have NOT been reinitialized, and then they can only work if you keep the drives together and place them in an empty Server (either 1U or 3U). I'd clarify the actual status with the Seller.

Jim

4TB drives

These drives were just Reinitialize to fit a 3U Server K-5000 Server
They will only work in a 3U server.
They are set up as a new 3U File system.
you can send them back to Kaleidescape to have them Reinitialize to fit a 1U
Server.

Just for clarity, my comment was made because there was no mention of the "3U File System" being installed in the drives in the original listing above, however.......

If drives are only "Reinitialized," you can add them to any Server (1U or 3U, assuming they are 1U/3U drives), and you can separate them as needed. Once you add a designated (1U/3U) File System to the drives, then the drives SHOULD be used with the appropriate 1U or 3U Server, BUT, the drives will in fact work in either Server. The only issue that can arise is control of the Hot Spare. If placing a 1U file system drive in a 3U, there is no control of the hot spare, and if placing the 3U file system drive in a 1U (as is possible with this listing), then the ability to ever move back to a 3U is lost because the file system will conform to the 1U.
Just to be sure about this info, it was confirmed by K Support.

Jim

Jim, are you sure on that last point? I was told you can take a drive set from a 1U and run them in a 3U but you would just need to add an additional drive to create the hot spare. Maybe the tech I spoke with had it backwards.

Yes, as I understand it, a disk set with 4 or less 'active' disks (4 disk 1U set, 5 disk 3U set) can be used in either 1U or 3U.

If you insert a 1U disk set into a 3U, it will require 1 extra spare disk for a hot spare to make the set complete.

If you insert a 3U disk set into a 1U, the hot spare will become an additional disk in the set. If you have a 5 disk set from a 3U, you would have to exclude the 1 hot spare and insert the other 4 'active' disks into the 1U.

Any more than a 5 disk set from a 3U obviously can't be transferred to a 1U.

A 3U hot spare remains factory initialized and can be inserted/added to any 1U or 3U as long as it has 'hot spare' status.

Last edited:
4TB drives

Just checked with Rusty.
and that's correct as long as the 3u file system is not larger then 4 drives that will work.
I was miss informed before:)

Well now that all of that is clear to everyone...:confused::confused::D

Personally, I thinks it's best to just reinitialize drives and not include a file system unless you know for sure it is needed. Most folks are looking for one or two drives at a time. (That said, we are seeing a few more empty servers showing up in the marketplace, and those of course would require a file system.)

Jim

So, if I have a 3U with three empty slots, I could just plug these straight in and be good to go? I'm using 4TBs.

Last edited:
No you would need to install add on drives.
Those are the only dives you can add on to any server.
These three drive are set up as a new file system for a 3U server.
So they will not work.
Unless you take out all your other drives.
Then in that case it will work.

So, if I have a 3U with three empty slots, I could just plug these straight in and be good to go? I'm using 4TBs.

As noted above, that set for sale will not work as you intend, for the reason stated. Based on your description, you would need one of the following types of drives:

1. A new 4TB or 6TB (those are the only sizes still available new) standalone drive (meaning no file system included, and that's required because it will be joining an existing file system when added to the server).

2. A used drive compatible with a 3U Server (work in 1U as well) that has been "Reinitialized" by K, but does not contain a file system). These would likely be 2TB, 3TB, or 4TB drives, mainly because K will NOT reinitialize any drive that is out of warranty and unlikely you would find any 750GB or 1TB's (unless they had been reinitialized long ago). Like the 750GB and 1TB, there are probably not many 2TB's that have been reinitialized, but there might be some with extended (out to 5 years) warranties so it's possible.

3. A Remanufactured (used) standalone drive purchased from K as part of an out-of-warranty purchase of a remanufactured drive in exchange for a defective drive of the same size (subject to availability). An RMA is required.

4. It "might" be possible to locate a new drive for sale from a private individual that had previously purchased the new drive but never installed it, not many of these for sure, but I know of at least two of those for sale over the years.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back