• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape power usage

How Do You Shut Down a Kaleidescape System

Hi,

I'm sure that it isn't good to just cut power to the system, as mentioned. But is there an 'elegant' way to do so?

Does the system have to be rebooted periodically, like a PC?

Thanks, Steven

I've had to reboot my server VERY rarely, maybe once a year, if that. When I go on vacation, I shut down the servers... the "elegant" way simply involves pressing the power button behind the front panel on a 5U and 3U, or on the front panel on the 1U. Pressing this button makes sure the disks aren't writing and the disk heads get parked... pulling the plug, or using a home automation system to cut the power does NOT park the heads (I think) and therefore is much more dangerous.

There are power options in the system already. Here is some information from the AMX interface:

Movie Player (KPLAYER-2000, KPLAYER-2500) Power Control
These Movie Players cannot be powered‐on over a TCP/IP connection. When these Movie Players are turned off, the Ethernet Port shuts down and they cannot receive any TCP/IP communications. Movie Players connected directly to the controller via the RS‐232 Control Port can be powered on remotely.
Using Command Routing, it?s possible to make a serial connection to one Player and issue commands that route to a second Player. Those routed commands travel over the network to the second Player. If the second Player is powered off in this scenario, power‐on commands routed through the first Player will not power on the second Player.
In some situations, this limitation is not an issue. The Player remembers its power state, and resumes its last power state after a power outage. For example, if the Player is on when the power is lost, the Player automatically powers back on when the power is restored. Additionally, the Player is very quiet (not completely silent ? the fan runs as needed) and the noise is usually not noticeable when the Player is in a cabinet. In many installations, the Player is left powered‐on continuously.
If you must power cycle the Player from the AMX controller, you have two options:
► Use RS‐232 control without Command Routing (cable directly connected to the Player).
► Use an infrared (IR) emitter to send the IR Power On command, but use TCP/IP for all other commands.
Power Control for All Other Kaleidescape Players
The Network port of Kaleidescape Players, other than the KPLAYER‐2000 and KPLAYER‐2500, is powered while it is in standby?but in a limited mode.
If you send the Power Off command to the Player over TCP/IP, initially there is no response. After a moment, the network connection drops, and is then re‐established. The Player is now in limited mode and responds only to the Power On command. When a Power On command is received, the Player powers on. The network connection drops momentarily and then reconnects. The Player is now ready to respond to commands normally. You cannot use Command Routing to power‐on a Player. When using TCP/IP, you must make a direct connection to the Player to turn it on.

So if you follow these procedures and power down the device and the drives have stopped you could then put the AC on a relay and turn off all power.

Gary

The section of the control protocol document you are quoting only applies to players not servers. So while you can remotely place a player into standby, you *cannot* remotely control the power state of a server.

Hi,

So I was searching and just wanted to be clear...from a longevity standpoint, the server should always be powered up unless there is an extended absence. Should the players always stay on in that same way, or are they o.k. to shut off after each use?

Thanks, Steven

As Bartok stated, no problem shutting down after use, but I've been told by K's tech folks that leaving them on is not a problem either, and when using some control systems (not all) there are fewer issues when the players remain "on."

Jim

Back