• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Limited Edition Cinema One Media Server Comes with 50 Movies

I suppose that would be a good question to ask the folks at Kaleidescape. Of course, this is yet one more thing for them to develop and comes out of the same R&D pool of both money and time/talent.

On a side note, WOW, BlackBerry is getting crushed.

I agree that anything they do will come out of the R&D pool...my argument is that they should be doing something. If all they had to do is wait for someone else to figure it out we'd all be driving black on black model T's.

and another side note....Blackberry Who??

Peter

Peter, your argument assumes they are doing nothing, which is highly unlikely to be the case. What they are not doing is focusing on development for things that might not survive, like HD-DVD or 3D (one completely dead, the other not looking healthy).

What they are working on is not being shared with the members of this forum. That is just how they operate.

Peter, your argument assumes they are doing nothing, which is highly unlikely to be the case. What they are not doing is focusing on development for things that might not survive, like HD-DVD or 3D (one completely dead, the other not looking healthy).

What they are working on is not being shared with the members of this forum. That is just how they operate.

That's my point exactly. I want more than simple survival expectations for Kaleidescape, I want them to thrive. And thriving in this business is as much about imagineering and communicating that vision regardless as to whether its UHD, 3D or mobile access. I am safe in assuming they are doing nothing because they are saying nothing. There is nothing from the company to challenge that notion. I grant you that CEDIA is an appropriate platform but the CES has a superior global audience that ought to be leveraged and in my mind they failed miserably to take advantage of that. Effective brand management is about confidence and commitment and I am not seeing either. It is time and there is a terrific opportunity to change the corporate culture to the benefit of the company and most important the relationship to the customer. I am not saying that the past was wrong in context to the historical threats and challenges facing the company, I am saying that the threat landscape is changing quickly and corporate behaviour has to morph to a more appropriate positioning. The notion that size, in terms of limited resources to fight a battle, is a valid excuse for limiting vision is a weak principle on which to build a company. You don't start thinking and acting like a billion dollar company after the fact, you start growing those values long before you get there. It should be part of your DNA. Now is the time for Kaleidescape to demonstrate that. They have a fantastic brand that needs to demonstrate leadership in this market otherwise the Apple/Google/Microsoft commodities elephant is going to eat their lunch. Personally I don't think they can best Kaleidescape but I do believe that Kaleidescape can only be hurt from within.

I think that the poll that was just started however small is a wonderful sentiment that needs to grow into a full conversation. There is only one obvious voice missing to that end...............

Peter

That's my point exactly. I want more than simple survival expectations for Kaleidescape, I want them to thrive. And thriving in this business is as much about imagineering and communicating that vision regardless as to whether its UHD, 3D or mobile access. I am safe in assuming they are doing nothing because they are saying nothing. There is nothing from the company to challenge that notion.

So since Apple is not announcing what their next projects are, is it also safe to assume that they are not working on anything?

I suspect that as soon as they share their intent, they will have to be the parents in the front of the car with all us kids asking "are we there yet?" every 2 weeks.

You think the time is ripe for the company to change, but other competitors who did what you are asking them to do all died while they did not. What they have is working and profitable.

K is always working on something to add function and value to the K experience, but they do not normally discuss these improvements in advance. The one time they broke that rule, because of non-stop outside pressure, was to announce Blu-ray was being developed. While that announcement might have had some small benefit, the negative comments and constant harassment that ensued after a couple of release delays (not K's fault) probably reminded K that early announcements can be more trouble than they're worth.

I could name some other companies/brands (Theta, etc.) that announced product improvements ahead of release and got hammered when there were delays. Better to design, build, test, and produce before making announcements IMO. (In a perfect world, you could make such announcements confident that all parties involved in production and release would meet the stated deadline, but that's just not possible given all the inputs required these days.)

Jim

Back