• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape Launches New Version of Cinema One

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
K officially launched the latest version of the Cinema One (named "Alto"). This new C1 is designed to take advantage of the K Store and the growing inventory of movies at the Store. I had the opportunity to work with this in Beta over the past several weeks and came away with a very positive experience. Here is the link to the official press release:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/media/pr/PR-20141204-Kaleidescape-Alto.php

Jim

Interesting... This looks to be the same as the C1 from the outside. Do you know if there were any hardware changes internally?

Four zones instead of two is a nice benefit, but it's not currently compatible with a disc vault. Do you know if the 1H 2015 means that it will be compatible with the DV700 at that time, or if they will be releasing a new vault?

The note at the bottom of the Alto vs. Premiere comparison is encouraging: "External storage available first half of 2015". Hopefully they bring that option to the C1.

The lack of CD playback is surprising.

Is this basically a revised model of the c1 without the ability to store dvd movies? I assume it is as it ties in with the recent court case.

Although this is essentially a C1 in most respects, there are a few changes, including the ability to link up to four of these, versus two with the current C1. It does not import DVD's, but does download DVD and BR quality from the K Store. It will also "Catalogue" a person's collection (meaning inserting a disc will cause the title to be added to the on screen displays so that you know what movies you already own, and this will also allow any available "Digital Offers" to be displayed on screen). Storage capability is the same as current C1. Suggested retail price is $2,495.

There is a plan to be able to add a Vault (DV700) to the system at some point in the first half of 2015.

Jim

For people that have the C1, I could see wanting to have the capability of expanding to four units like the Alto will do. Will the C1 and Alto work together to allow this? If not, is there an upgrade path?

John

For people that have the C1, I could see wanting to have the capability of expanding to four units like the Alto will do. Will the C1 and Alto work together to allow this? If not, is there an upgrade path?

John

C1 and Alto will not be able to co-mingle. I don't know whether or not there are any plans for C1 to be able to handle 4-zones or not. The upcoming storage expansion module will be designed to serve either system.

John

Am I reading the article correct in that basically the drive is used exclusively for cataloging and playback, no imports? Ick.

At least this time they gave it a different name.

Keep in mind that to date these announcements only come after content is available in the Store, and making that content available takes time, not to mention that contracts need to be in place for any of this to happen, so I think it's safe to assume additional studios are already onboard.

Jim

Hello All

I am very interested in the new player and looking for a good dealer in Northern California to demo this unit and buy. I live in Santa Clara and not a fan of two shops close to me. I essentially have few questions around this:

I just have few questions or rather clarification of my understanding:

1. If I have a movie like say Lone Survivor (I have blu ray) and assume its also in the store, this can be downloaded for x dollars upgrade fee. At this point I can store my blu ray and don't have to ever take it out.

2. If movie is not in store, I still have to keep till they come with the vault solution for the same.

3. If they ever come with new Altos that is 4K capable or 3D capable, do they have an upgrade path. If yes, how do I get that advantage - directly via KScape or through the dealer?

Cheers

Rajesh

In answering your questions:

1. Correct (and Lone Survivor is in the Store). After placing your copy of the BR disc into the Alto, it will be "Cataloged" (and appear in your On Screen Display) after which you will also receive any eligible "Digital Offers" from K. It is at that point you can select the digital offer, download the HD version into your Alto, and put your physical disc in storage. Alternatively, once the Vault is available to link with the Alto, you could place the disc in the Vault for playback, and not purchase the HD download.

2. Correct, but Cataloging (see above) allows that disc's metadata to appear in your OSD.

3. There is no discussion at this point about upgrade paths for the Alto (it was just released), BUT, over the years K has consistently supported all of it's products with upgrade paths, so it's safe to assume the same will hold true for the Alto. When such an upgrade becomes available, you can either purchase thru your dealer, or K directly, that's your call.

Hope that helps.

Jim

I just sent you a PM as well, to help with buying.

Jim

In answering your questions:

1. Correct (and Lone Survivor is in the Store). After placing your copy of the BR disc into the Alto, it will be "Cataloged" (and appear in your On Screen Display) after which you will also receive any eligible "Digital Offers" from K. It is at that point you can select the digital offer, download the HD version into your Alto, and put your physical disc in storage. Alternatively, once the Vault is available to link with the Alto, you could place the disc in the Vault for playback, and not purchase the HD download.

2. Correct, but Cataloging (see above) allows that disc's metadata to appear in your OSD.

3. There is no discussion at this point about upgrade paths for the Alto (it was just released), BUT, over the years K has consistently supported all of it's products with upgrade paths, so it's safe to assume the same will hold true for the Alto. When such an upgrade becomes available, you can either purchase thru your dealer, or K directly, that's your call.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I sincerely appreciate your reply and help. I also read if my disc's are not recognized like movies from Bollywood, we have an option to pay $10 and have them add all relevant meta data. I don't mind paying for the same as it will give me complete K experience. I again appreciate your help.

Sincerely

Rajesh

An update as relates specifically to Lone Survivor. There are a few movies that do not have "disc-to-digital" updates. Usually because they are new releases. Lone Survivor is one that does have the upgrade available. However, if you received the uv rights with the disc and entered the code so uvvu.com (or the movie studio) knows you own the rights then this title should show up as a free download.

Most of the titles are available for upgrade but there are a few that are not. I just didn't want you to be surprised by this especially since you mention a particular title.

John

Edit; you can still purchase at the normal price and download just not the lower upgrade price.

Thanks John. I understood that. I am also sure most of the foreign movies (Bollywood) will be missing and I still have to hold on to disc to play.

I am only hoping they have those movies in their database or else I may end up sending them on loan program to add the data.

I hope they release vault next year and then i can have those discs in vault for playback.

I am also going to keep my Oppo 105D still in the movie room, so i can play back SACD and regular audio CD's. I also use Oppo as DAC to play my FLAC files stored on Bluesound Vault.

Cheers

Raj

Sounds like you have a handle on everything. I use my Oppo for SACD. I use the K system for CD's and it sounds surprisingly good.

John

I hope they release vault next year and then i can have those discs in vault for playback.
Raj

The Vault is already part of the plan, and is expected to be available to link with the Alto at some point in the first half of 2015.

Jim

Back