• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape HTTP Control Protocol

livitup

Hello all,

I am trying to build a software application to display movie posters on a monitor outside the theater, as well as showing the specific poster and progress details for the movie that is currently playing on my Strato (if any). There are similar products available for Kodi/Plex/etc. but I don't use any of those systems, so I am trying to write my own application for this (I am an experienced software developer).

My goal is to have an application that will download a list of movies currently on a K Player and then go find movie posters on the Internet for the loaded movies and cycle through them. I am struggling to get the list of available movies off the player.

I checked the published documentation about the telnet-based control protocol and I do not see a way to get the information I want via that protocol. However, I feel it must be possible to get the list somehow, as the official K apps on my phone talk to my player and get the list of installed movies, as does Alan Chow's Control4 driver. I suspect both tools are doing it all over an HTTP API to the player.

Before I go down the rabbit hole of sniffing the network traffic and trying to reverse engineer it, does anyone know if that documentation is available anywhere?

If I recall, Alan said he had to sell his soul to be allowed that information. 😁 I don't believe it's readily available.

Why don't you parse the Excell export daily to get the list? Should be easier than sniffing API commands.

Kevin D.

Yeah, that or I could simply scrape the local players html page that’s exposed to users, but I was trying to do things the “right” way. @MikeKobb maybe you can chime in... is this interface not available to mere mortals?

There is a private API that is used by our Second Screen application and certain control systems that allows you to fully enumerate the library. I know that there was a process that developers could go through to obtain access to it. I'm not sure what the current status if that is, but drop me a note via private message and I will check into it.

Back