• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Kaleidescape Expands Into Cinema Business With Service to Bring Library Titles to Theaters

Funny, I was just thinking about this recently, I wondered if some theaters had a KScape system to use for showing movies instead of using a BD player etc.

But good news nonetheless

Everybody gets a few extra bucks and K picks up some major mass-market cred (something like "Quality good enough for the movie theatre, available within minutes to your home theatre") and exposure via placement in the pre-showing roll. Win-win-win.

Hopefully the extra exposure may encourage some of the more boutique and niche labels to distribute via the platform not to mention the availability of alternative cuts and special features that are currently missing from existing titles.

I believe this is the driving force for the major amount of UHD updates we've been seeing on titles that didn't have them before. Theaters can show 4K UHD titles whereas they cannot playback 4K HDR. K has been doing a lot of UHD updates to previously HDR only titles, this move gives a lot of reason as to why.

I believe this is the driving force for the major amount of UHD updates we've been seeing on titles that didn't have them before. Theaters can show 4K UHD titles whereas they cannot playback 4K HDR. K has been doing a lot of UHD updates to previously HDR only titles, this move gives a lot of reason as to why.
Why can’t the theater play the HDR version?

Why can’t the theater play the HDR version?

Chris will likely answer with more technical details, but the short answer (as I understand it) is most theater projection systems and the content format they receive are not setup for HDR. I know Barco commercial has been working on an equipment solution, but I think the content has to be adjusted as well. Not sure about current status.

Jim

Chris will likely answer with more technical details, but the short answer (as I understand it) is most theater projection systems and the content format they receive are not setup for HDR. I know Barco commercial has been working on an equipment solution, but I think the content has to be adjusted as well. Not sure about current status.

Jim
How would the Kaleidescape interface with a movie theater projection system? Don’t theater projectors lack HDMI?

How would the Kaleidescape interface with a movie theater projection system? Don’t theater projectors lack HDMI?
I don´t think it will be implemented the way we know it from our consumer installs, connecting a Strato-player to the system.
Content for commercial theaters is delivered via download or via harddisk. It´s all encrypted and a closed system. I would expect it to be a (separate) download service from Kaleidescape.

Some of the smaller theaters that I know of in the NYC area are capable of hdmi players. Some of them have only 20-30 seats I think this is perfect for them.

The problem is, the standard K-content is not licenced for public screening. It´s only a residential/private license.
So there needs to be a completely different license framework in place for commercial cinema use.

The article says, "Per the plan, Mountain View, Calif.-based Kaleidescape would sell its hardware to theater owners, prep and supply the encrypted content."

So there must be someway they're going to connect existing hardware to projectors. Unless there will be some special new hardware or adapters.

Ah, that´s interesting. Unfortunately not easy to get information about it for us. All i get is "it will not effect your residential and marine business".
Perhaps @cinelife can get a bit more insight?

Frankly I haven't looked into it in detail, heard it mentioned a couple of times, with the same comments regarding it having no effect on current owners. Not sure why we think HDMI somehow limits where this service can be used, I don't think they're limited to very small theaters. As one example, among Christie's offerings there are several models that can easily handle large screens, in 4K, that also have HDMI as one of the connection choices. Not sure what would prevent a Terra/Strato from being used in those setups. I'll see what more I can learn from K, or maybe someone from K can educate us all on this subject.

Jim

As one example, among Christie's offerings there are several models that can easily handle large screens, in 4K, that also have HDMI as one of the connection choices. Not sure what would prevent a Terra/Strato from being used in those setups. I'll see what more I can learn from K, or maybe someone from K can educate us all on this subject.
Sure they can also be fed via HDMI. My issue is more around the whole encryption thing. DCI is putting a lot of effort to creating a safe environment how the content is fed into the playback system. As mentioned before, the content is usually fed directly into the DCI-compliant projector via download or via pluggable encrypted HD. And the audio is then output from the projector to an external audio processor.

But probably this is only required for current content that is new to the cinema.
The other thing is also still the license side. Legally, you´re just not allowed to put a K-player into a public cinema and play the consumer content the consumer receives on their players.
That´s the piece i´m interested in.

So who's going to try to integrate with the TMS (Theater Management Software) first?

(and it's well known that projectors are physically limited with the bulb/laser and screen system)

I've love to know when these showing are so I could check some of these out at the theater and see how everything looks and sounds
Brendan Theaters Showcase

They did a demo recently here in Las Vegas at the Brendan Theaters at The Palms . Wondering if this is going to be a permanent fixture or temporary. Would definitely go there if that's the case. This city lacks luxury theaters similar to CMX Cinebistro in various cities and IPIC Theater in Houston.

New revenue stream opportunity hopefully means more profits hopefully means more development and innovation. Love it.
It won't actually be much direct revenue, if you read the release, Kaleidescape is staying out of the content licensing and leaving that a direct transaction between theater and studio. Direct revenue will be strictly hardware.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing a "powered by Kaleidescape" trailer and other co-marketing value for Kaleidescape that will hopefully drive additional home adoption.

Back