• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Kaleidescape 1U-to-3U Tradeup Program

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Just noticed this on Kaleidescape's corporate site:

1u-tradeup-overview-top.jpg

The Kaleidescape 1U to 3U Server Trade-up Program
Receive an 85% credit when you trade-in your 1U Server for a 3U Server *

Why trade-up to a new Kaleidescape 3U Server?

• More capacity for DVDs and CDs and better storage density (600 vs. 450 DVDs per 1U of rack space)
  • A Hot Spare Disk Cartridge for greater storage reliability
  • Upgrading is easy; your existing Disk Cartridges are simply installed in the 3U Server along with a Hot Spare Disk Cartridge.
  • Includes a standard two-year limited warranty, extendable to five years (unexpired portions of 1U Server and Disk Cartridge extended limited warranties are transferable)
Contact your Kaleidescape Dealer today to learn more about this limited-time offer!

Hey, Jim/Cinelife must be on vacation somewhere, he seems to always know about these things and post them before they make it to Kaleidescape's website! ;)

Makes sense considering they are pretty close to the capacity of a new mini-system, so little reason to keep them around.

Sounds like a good deal unless I am missing something. Any catch to this program?

I should have gotten a 3U originally...I knew it was the right thing to do and the most "economical", but I couldn't swing it as I was already over budget with the whole project (surprising how that happens).

I thought it would take me a year to get to capacity since my existing collection got me about 70% full, but instead it took about a month (went on a DVD buying rampage apparently - and those darn TV series just eat up space... 6.5 seasons of Sopranos anyone?)

Now with Blu-Laser player on the horizon and importing of said Blu-rays hopefully shortly thereafter, this seems like the right move. Again - am I missing something obvious as to why this is not a good deal?

Josh beat me to it!:D (I was in Indiana for a couple of weeks working out the details for a new home theatre, and supervising the concrete pours for a new garage, driveway, sidewalks and patios. The HT is my idea, the concrete work was the "trade-off" with the "opposition.":D)

Yes, the program is in place, began July 1st and is scheduled to end December 31, 2009.

Just to clarify, the 85% credit is based on THE DEALER's COST, not what the buyer paid, and the dealer cost is variable based on your dealer's cost structure with K.

When I ran the numbers here, this is still an excellent upgrade for current 1U Owners, so if you're a 1U Owner GET ON IT!!:):)

Jim

Can I ask what might sound like a silly question?:

I have a 1U, 4 disks...3 storage, 1 backup (terminology may be wrong but you get it)

The 3U has 14 disks...12 storage, 1 backup, 1 hot spare.

Here comes the question: Is the hot spare, just that, a hot spare as in that as long as all is well, it does nothing except remain blank and presumably initialized and ready to go. and if something does fail, does it automatically rebuild the failed drive?

Is this optional? in other words, I am looking to upgrade to 3U from a 1U but it sounds like I would need to purchase 2 disks before I get any more storage.

I know this may sound silly in the realm of the cost of the system, but I would rather not front for a drive that I may never need or may need 1,2 or 3 years down the road. I assume this is to make it seamless, but wouldn't it just be a matter of waiting a couple days for the new drive to be delivered? and then I would need to purchase a new hot spare at that point anyway.

I know I am oversimplifying, so that's why I'm asking.

Please enlighten me! Thanks!

Oh and when I upgrade, should I just start buying the 2TB disks (is that all that is available now anyway?)

Can I ask what might sound like a silly question?:

I have a 1U, 4 disks...3 storage, 1 backup (terminology may be wrong but you get it)

The 3U has 14 disks...12 storage, 1 backup, 1 hot spare.

Here comes the question: Is the hot spare, just that, a hot spare as in that as long as all is well, it does nothing except remain blank and presumably initialized and ready to go. and if something does fail, does it automatically rebuild the failed drive?

Is this optional? in other words, I am looking to upgrade to 3U from a 1U but it sounds like I would need to purchase 2 disks before I get any more storage.

I know this may sound silly in the realm of the cost of the system, but I would rather not front for a drive that I may never need or may need 1,2 or 3 years down the road. I assume this is to make it seamless, but wouldn't it just be a matter of waiting a couple days for the new drive to be delivered? and then I would need to purchase a new hot spare at that point anyway.

I know I am oversimplifying, so that's why I'm asking.

Please enlighten me! Thanks!

Oh and when I upgrade, should I just start buying the 2TB disks (is that all that is available now anyway?)

Yes, the "Hot Spare" remains empty and is utilized in the event of a content disk failure. You do not have an option, it MUST be installed in the 3U. It must be at least as large as the largest content disk because it could be called upon to replace it in the event of a failure.

1TB disks "may" still be available, not sure, have not inquired lately. K indicated they had a "few" 1TB that they would sell until sold out, after which only 2TB disks would be sold. Again, although I'm not sure, I wouldn't be surprised if all the 1TB's are now sold, meaning you would have to buy 2TB disks.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy 1TB disks at this point anyway. For $250 more you get an extra TB of storage ($995 for 1TB, or $1,245 for 2TB). Just based on storage economics it makes sense to stick with 2TB disks going forward.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the info...I actually didn't know that the price difference was that small (or I probably did and just didn't remember) between the 2TB and 1TB.

I think I've got it. I'll need to purchase 1 disk minimum to act as hot spare and that gains me no extra storage.

I think this may have been answered in another post but, if I already have 4 (four) 1 TB disks in my 1U and I purchase 2 (two) 2TB disk when I upgrade, will 1 be the hot spare and 1 be the back up (being the two largest capacity HDD's), therefore leaving me with 4 (four) 1TB disks or 4TB total storage (compared to the 3TB of storage that I currently have)?......and then all future 2TB disks will go right to storage?

thanks again!

The RAID disk needs to be as large as the largest disk in your system. Likewise, the Hot Spare also needs to be as large as the largest disk in your system.

If you keep all of your 1TB disks and transfer them to a 3U you will need at least 1TB additional "blank disk" to act as hot spare. Your original 4 disks would transfer just as they are now with the RAID being covered within those 4 disks. (Although there is an allocation of space for RAID equivalent to the largest disk in your system, it is not on ONE disk, it is spread out amongst the 4 disks).

Jim

Back