• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K6000 possibly dead, ideas?

appliedautomation

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi,
Have a couple of K6000's here, when they power on the blue front lights are on and both NIC leds are on solid. Nothing else seems to happen.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

Hi,
Have a couple of K6000's here, when they power on the blue front lights are on and both NIC leds are on solid. Nothing else seems to happen.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

If they boot to a bright blue (The initial blue is the bright blue) and never resolve to a dim blue or amber color then they are failing to boot. It is likely a mainboard failure of some sort.
They could be saved for an upgrade provided that Kaleidescape reopens or if the upgrade is available on the extranet which should still be accessible (Though per Jim orders are not being processed, just being received)

One has come alive and seems to be working fine, not sure how long it will last. Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough for it to boot.

The other is stuck on full brightness, after awhile it goes out and comes back on again. Its picking up an IP and I can ping it on the network. The DVD draw can also be opened from the K front button too.

It also listens and returns info using telnet too.

Most answers result in "Device is in Standby"

The rebooting is either a mainboard failure or a power supply failure. Without back-up information (i.e. logs) it would be hard to confirm.

The first one may also be the same but a mainboard failure of the type that causes a reboot can allow it to stay active for a period of time.

You can try sending a LEAVE_STANDBY command as an attempt to wake it.

The rebooting is either a mainboard failure or a power supply failure. Without back-up information (i.e. logs) it would be hard to confirm.

The first one may also be the same but a mainboard failure of the type that causes a reboot can allow it to stay active for a period of time.

You can try sending a LEAVE_STANDBY command as an attempt to wake it.

Thanks for your help. I have swapped power supplies and the 2nd player is still having issues.

If I turn it off using the front panel I can use telnet to 'leave standby' and the lights come on. It will eventually reboot. Noticed the fans sometimes come on and sometimes only one.

Unplugging the network cable sees the lights go amber straight away and it also doesn't reboot with the network unplugged.

A brand new power supply is being delivered tomorrow so I will see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
New power supply didn't fix it.

Are the fans speed controlled by varying the voltage? They only seem to come on after its been powered up for a while and the heatsinks are warm, but there is only 6v at the fan plug.

If any one has any other ideas that would be great, looks like we'll have to give up on this one though.

Thanks

Are the fans speed controlled by varying the voltage? They only seem to come on after its been powered up for a while and the heatsinks are warm, but there is only 6v at the fan plug.

From observing (listening) as a user, I'm pretty sure the fan is variable speed. Assuming it is, I don't know what K used in the -6000 player for speed control, but PWM (pulse width modulation) is typically easier than variable voltage, especially if you've already got mostly digital stuff on the board. So you'd need a scope, or a resistor in parallel with a voltmeter, so see what sort of input power the fan is getting.

I wouldn't think a 6000 would be worth a lot of time to troubleshoot.

Back