• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K120 Horizontal Lines and Snow

Mudbone

I have a fully loaded K120 that has developed horizontal lines and snow. I am told the HDMI card is the problem and Kaleidescape will not repair. I don't want to lose all the movies and audio files that have been transferred onto the system. Is there a replacement system that will take the drives? Alternatively any independent repair shops that could effect the repairs?

The easiest solution (though not cheap... $3-4K) would be to purchase a used 1U server; one with 4 750GB or 1TB drives should be relatively inexpensive on the used market. Since it's a K120, you can get by with a K5000 or K6000 player (no Bluray capability).

Or, just keep a lookout for another used K120, though I don't recommend this as there is more to go wrong in an all-in-one unit, and as you have found, there is little to no option on repair.

Doubt there are any independent repair shops, they would need the same board K uses, and I'm not sure that's even available anymore.

I want to check something with support, I'll PM you as soon as I have an answer.

Jim

Just confirmed with K that that a failed HDMI board will not affect the ability to replicate your content (obviously HDMI is not part of replication, just wanted to be sure that the HDMI board was not somehow involved in the process).

So....as smiley stated above, find another working 120, or find another Premiere Server to replicate to, keeping in mind that the new Server must have enough storage space to accept your content, and it must be capable of importing your content (i.e. has DVD import rights if DVD content is being replicated). You must still have access to your web utility in order to setup replication, and Replication needs to be enabled. (Your dealer can enable, or email K Support)

Jim

So....as smiley stated above, find another working 120, or find another Premiere Server to replicate to, keeping in mind that the new Server must have enough storage space to accept your content, and it must be capable of importing your content (i.e. has DVD import rights if DVD content is being replicated). You must still have access to your web utility in order to setup replication, and Replication needs to be enabled. (Your dealer can enable, or email K Support)

The glimmer of good news is that if you do end up finding another working K120 Cinema One chassis to replace yours, there is no need to replicate at all. You can simply remove the four disk cartridges from your old K120, put them in the new chassis and boot it up.

Of course, if the new K120 came with larger disks then you would want to replicate to the new disks in order to gain the extra space.

Can you add a used M300 or older player to the network and just use the K120 as a server?

Back