• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

K at CEDIA 2016?

From what I understand they are on display on other vendors booths and do not have their own booth.

You are right they were used in a majority of vender booths, wisdom, alcons, rbh, datasat, mse audio booths, pro audio tech, as well as a bunch of others! Would you expect anything else, k is a great product and the scrips on the premier side were used as well as a few strato players. They had great representation but no booth as was expected!

I had cappuccinos and a terrific chat with Cheena. There is definitely a roadmap for the future and it looks REALLY bright!
John Sciacca

I had cappuccinos and a terrific chat with Cheena. There is definitely a roadmap for the future and it looks REALLY bright!
John Sciacca
Do you think he should elaborate more to his dealers and general public? I had an order in place just before the closing down announcement, I cancelled and am looking for reasons to buy again.

But the single announcement to date hasn't provided much clarity in regards to road maps or longevity of the company. I've also spoken to 2 dealers, both of whom have stopped recommending Kscape to clients. They haven't even got an alternative to try and sell me!

As near as I can tell, it's like this: You want bit-for-bit movies you have two options...K and Plex. With K you pay a good bit of money and it's VERY VERY nice and easy after that. With Plex, you pay a lot less and it's very hard to do and STILL has questionable legality.

So for most people, you have only one real option if you want the highest quality experience possible, and that's K.

If you're fine with lower quality streaming and downloads all locked into some kind of other proprietary environment, then there are loads of options. But I don't think any are even TRYING to be of the quality that K is.

--Donnie

If you are looking for bit-for-bit disc management option, you should also check out Fusion Research (http://www.fusionrd.com/movie-solutions). They have actually been making movie servers for 10 years and have a pretty compelling storage model where you purchase a license for adding storage and then provide whatever drive solution you like. The GUI is also quite well designed.

When it comes to downloading content in true disc-quality, especially UHD, Kaleidescape is truly the only game in town.

Unless you are Premiere owner with a grandfathered system, the disc management solution for Kaleidescape isn't the best option right now and Fusion might be an option worth exploring.
John Sciacca

If a studio guy I was speaking with recently is accurate, then we can expect additional lawsuits against some of these companies. A couple have already been mentioned here. Not saying this will affect the longevity of those other businesses, it might not even happen, but big expenses for them if it does (just ask K).

Jim

Yeah, FusionRD was news to me, but when I looked at it I can't see how they're doing what they claim to do legally at all. It's actually kind of funny that they show a 3U K server on their web pages (logo removed) with a circle around it and a line through it.

As for Plex, just to be clear, Plex is completely legal by itself. That's because by itself it won't rip anything, really. It just plays movies that you drop into it, and those have to be free of any copy protection already. If you want to rip your own, you have to go find third party software yourself to do that, and the only things I know of you can do that with are things you get from other countries that don't police such things.

So Plex has plenty of perfectly legal uses, and doesn't rely on ANYTHING illegal. But users *can* do things that the movie industry would say aren't legal. The rest of us would say we have a right to backup our media if we want. :) But at best it's a gray area to use Plex to serve commercial content.

--Donnie

If you are looking for bit-for-bit disc management option, you should also check out Fusion Research (http://www.fusionrd.com/movie-solutions). They have actually been making movie servers for 10 years and have a pretty compelling storage model where you purchase a license for adding storage and then provide whatever drive solution you like. The GUI is also quite well designed.

When it comes to downloading content in true disc-quality, especially UHD, Kaleidescape is truly the only game in town.

Unless you are Premiere owner with a grandfathered system, the disc management solution for Kaleidescape isn't the best option right now and Fusion might be an option worth exploring.
John Sciacca

Seriously?!? They put a K system on their website with a lined circle over it? That's pretty gutsy. So... they obviously did not invent a legal means to rip Blurays... anydvd it is huh? I love how they act like they invented this stuff. And what's with the video- could they only afford one take? I have a perpetual anydvd license and I haven't used it for years- not since I got K.

So yeah- I wonder how long this operation is going to last before it is sued out of existence...

I can't even remember the name of this one system we tried (think they had a Tritan server, etc), but it essentially was our system cannot rip commercial DVDs, but I heard if you point the update URL to this place on Russia it might...

Then Request some how gets around it by offering a ripper that has no storage, and a music server that has storage but can't play movies. Join the two together and...

What I don't get is Helix. They're actually offering players, branded with the dealer's logo/info, that include their "proprietary one steam tv" which is free access to over 100 live TV stations. Essentially those Plex/Kodi/Nvidia boxes you see all over Craigslist, but branded with your logo!

Yet kscape, which from my experience is owned by more well off individuals who actually purchase all their movies, gets sued.

Kevin D.

John Sciacca

Thanks for sharing John. Any chance you could elaborate a bit and provide high level details?

John Sciacca

How is the playback quality (1080p) of the Fusion Research compared to blu-ray/Kaleidescape?

Back