• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

It's the little things...

djb_rh

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Scored a very cheap K-reader on eBay a few days ago. Got one from Cinelife a few months back as well. The new one showed up today and I got them both setup on my K vpn in my office so I can more easily rip DVD sets. I'm too cheap to buy a speed reader (I mean had I known what I know now I would have bought one way back when, but NOW I don't need one as much), but I like having a couple rippers available. Right outside my office is a TV system with an M500, so I can get three disks going at a time pretty easily if I have a bunch to rip.

And for Christmas I got the Hogan's Heroes complete set, which ended up being a LOT more DVDs than I expected. So now I'm ripping them finally. Woot.

Might add one more reader if I find another one at a good enough deal.

--Donnie

Oh, and a couple days ago I took my second server to my vacation house and set it up finally. I bought a 1U a while back and Cinelife hooked me up with some 4TB drives to fill it up. Then I ripped my DVD collection to it using the two players I got for it (a 5000 and a 6000) and the one reader I had (which is now on the main system). Just seemed easier than trying to replicate somehow since I didn't really want EVERYTHING I had on my main system and didn't want ANY of the Blu-Rays to move over.

Took it and got it all setup on the two systems in that house. Love how easy the K stuff is to setup and maintain. Now when I buy something via download I can just get the HD version here and send the DVD version there. Neither of the systems up there are used enough to care much about the difference between HD and DVD, and I just didn't want to spend that kind of money yet. Once the store finally fills out with most studios I may start looking for deals on M300 players and go to HD content up there, but there was no way I cared enough to put a vault up there or bother with any of that nonsense.

But when 4K stuff comes out, I may upgrade a player or two at my main house, freeing M series players for up there. I got the DVD players so cheap that I doubt I lose much on them if I sell them later, too. And it'll be a LONG time before I care about 4k at the vacation house...

But hey, I've got K at my vacation place finally. Happy happy.

--Donnie

Yup. Those speed readers sure are noisy, spew a ton of hot air, and are loud... but they are great for making a stack of DVDs disappear without having to deal with them until the whole process is over (and make a racket.)

Nowadays, I just use a vault for bulk importing of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs. Sure, you don't get the concurrent activity a speed reader or multiple readers but it's pretty much fire-and-forget; insert the discs, press the "OK" button (to skip the 2 minute wait after the last disc insert before processing starts), and walk away. Next time I get a new batch of discs, I just perform an "Eject all discs not needed for playback" prior to inserting the next batch of discs.

Nowadays, I just use a vault for bulk importing of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs. Sure, you don't get the concurrent activity a speed reader or multiple readers but it's pretty much fire-and-forget; insert the discs, press the "OK" button (to skip the 2 minute wait after the last disc insert before processing starts), and walk away. Next time I get a new batch of discs, I just perform an "Eject all discs not needed for playback" prior to inserting the next batch of discs.

Maybe it's irrational, but the price is *so* low on K2000 readers that I'd rather have a few of those than put that extra wear and tear on my vault. Also, in my case, my vault is in another building a half mile away. So while it would be okay for big batches, for small ones it would be annoying. Oh, and I can't move the vault to a better location because it's the player for the area where it's sitting, too.

And if I get a batch of DVDs I want to take to my mountain house to rip, I can pretty easily take the stack of K2000's with me and run them there. Definitely not doing that with the vault.

So each has their pros and cons...

--Donnie

I tried just using a vault, but found my biggest problem to be ordering. Either delay any BD imports to bring in DVDs one at a time or have it take longer until the DVDs can be finished. But with a separate reader, the BDs can plod along at their own pace, while still being able to quickly tear through that pile of DVDs so they can be properly taken care of that much sooner (multi-import-stream penalties not withstanding.)

...press the "OK" button (to skip the 2 minute wait after the last disc insert before processing starts)...
Cool. Never knew that little trick!

Back