• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is it possible for Kaleidescape to get a virus?

skunk-punk

I appreciate that the operating system KEAOS is purpose built for Kaleidescape, therefore any potential virus threats would intentionally be targeted at the product. I have read through clause 9 of the service & license agreement with out mention of virus'. Is this because the potential of a virus is inconceivable?

I appreciate that the operating system KEAOS is purpose built for Kaleidescape, therefore any potential virus threats would intentionally be targeted at the product. I have read through clause 9 of the service & license agreement with out mention of virus'. Is this because the potential of a virus is inconceivable?

I would say that the chances of a Kaleidescape system getting a virus is 0%. The reason I say this is due to the following.
1) The only thing that Kaleidescape accepts are AV DVD's and CD's these are VERY low candidates for virus transmission.

2) Since the OS is 1) Closed and 2) No one outside of the engineers who wrote it have seen the actual OS and no one knows much about it (the os). Since we have been told that KEAOS is not Windows or *nix based, neither Windows virus's nor *nix based Unix, Linux and for that matter OS X virus's will run.

Is there a potential for a virus? Sure. A virus can be written for any computer system if you know the OS and how to access. Since this is not true for Kaleidescape the chance are VERY VERY VERY slim that you will see a virus.

My 2 cents.

I agree with James, in theory it is possible, but not anything to be concerned about with K.

Jim

Couple all of the above to the fact that the Kaleidescape system's communications to the outside world operate in a walled garden (ie. the server only communicates with specific servers in the outside world) result in a fairly secure system.

Kind of like asking if the "bubble boy" can get herpes. While I am sure we can dream up a scenerio that can make it happen, it will only be a reality if Michael Bay is involved and it involves aliens, conspiricies and a ton of expensive and beautiful things blowing up.

Thanks for your response Digital Studio Werks, much obliged.

^^^that's got to be a typo right, or was the works url taken?

Back