• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Is Disney the Death Blow to Blu Ray - Does This Bode Well for Kaleidescape?

Steve Bruzonsky

Will Disney stream their content ONLY to their streaming service in the future and leave us at Kscape out of it? Or more likely they will sell downloads through Apple, Vudu, etc and yes Kaleidescape. Won't this only hasten the demise of blu ray and 4k discs, at least to a tiny niche format perhaps like SACD on the audio side, but improve the appeal of Kaleidescape among home theater buffs?

Only Disney knows and it likely be based upon making the most $$$$…. I think most of the processes to distribute content get very automated and therefore require less resources to execute (with the exception of Blu-ray which will likely kill it)…

Disney will do whatever drives their stock price the highest. If that is restricting content exclusively to Disney+ to drive subscriber numbers, then that's what they'll do. My personal hypothesis is they'll restrict content to Disney+ for 3-12 months then allow digital sales on Apple, Prime, Kscape. No content on other streaming platforms. Who knows though, it is all just a guess until they publicize their strategy.

The only thing that is for certain is that Bob Iger is all about stock price/shareholder returns and exec comp. All decisions made are focused on maximizing those.

My only real concern with physical media going away is studios finding a way to save $0.43/month by providing lower quality mezzanine files to all the digital distribution channels. With physical media and Kaleidescape being the only two channels using the full quality, will K’s market share be enough to justify the extra $0.43/month?

Is the mezzanine file K receives, similar to what they send to theaters?
Not likely. My assumption is that it's the same file sent to all home release formats, which will be quite different than the theatrical DCP file. I don't believe the mezzanine file sent to home release distribution has any real relation to the DCP.

Back