• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

iPad app can't link to C1

Chris-T

I have a Cinema One which in all respects works fine (i.e. downloads from the store and finds metadata on imported disks) other than the link to the iPad app and my iMac (through the IP address in the Safari browser). It was working on Friday and stopped on Saturday. On the iPad, the app fails to connect and even entering the IP address as stated by the C1 manually does not work. On the computer, the IP address in browser didn't work until I plugged the computer into the same switch as the C1. This leads me to think there is something up with the wireless network but I have no idea what. I use a Netgear Gigabit switch into a Devolo power line network expander. The other end of the Devolo is plugged into an Apple TimeCapsule (for the wireless) which is then plugged into my modem/router. Somewhat complicated but that's the geography! The iMac links fine with the Meridian Sooloos system that is on the same switch as the C1, as does Meridian's own control app for the iPad which means that the wireless link to the switch is working.

As it is on both the iPad and the iMac, I can't see how traditional problems like a firewall would cause an issue and the fact that the Meridian system works fine would suggest there isn't any problem with the wireless/wired network side.

Anyone have any out-of-the-box ideas as to how to get the system talking again?

Do you have your Apple Timecapsule in bridge mode? Your wireless devices are probably going through a dual NAT and aren't on the same subnet as the C1.

Thanks Baltz - it is in bridge mode so the router provide the IP address through DHCP. They should all be on the same subnet as they are all 192.168.1.xxx (unless I am missing something)?

That sounds correct. As long as you have a separate router acting as the DHCP server, your Timecapsule should be in bridge mode.

What is the model of your modem/router?

It is a Motorola "Centro Grande Analog Standard" as provided by my ISP. Fairly ancient but normally quite reliable.

So you have Router > Timecapsule > Powerline > Netgear Switch > C1/Sooloos?

I am assuming that your iMac is normally plugged into the Timecapsule?

If the only thing plugged directly into the router is your Timecapsule, it might be possible to put the router in bridge mode (it depends on what settings are available) and use the Timecapsule as the router. This probably isn't the source of your problem, but would be another option for setup.

Generally, I would suspect the power line adapter, but your Sooloos is working. Can you temporarily run a long ethernet cable to bypass the powerline adapters?

Now that I think about it, the fact that your C1 has internet access means that the powerline is working. It seems like your network setup is working ok.

FYI, I have noticed that the browser interface of the C1 is slow at times, but the iPad app always works flawlessly.

I'm kind of out of ideas at this point.

I'll try the long ethernet cable (it's in a holiday home so won't be there till the weekend) but like you, the fact that some bits on the switch work and the C1 connects to the internet has me stumped too. Anyone from the Mother Ship got any ideas?

See if you can ping your C1 from a device on your wireless network. That should confirm if your network has connectivity.

On your iMac, open terminal and type "ping 192.168.1.xxx"

There is an update to the iPad app that just went live on the iTunes App Store yesterday. I'm not claiming that it will fix your problem but updating to the latest version of the app can't hurt.

Testing with the Cinema One connected to a wired ethernet connection is a very good idea. That will at least help to isolate the problem a bit more.

If all else fails, I recommend contacting Kaleidescape Tech Support. They will be able to look for telltale signs of problems in the system logs.

Now back at the home with the troublesome Cinema One - ping does not work from the computer but the CI does connect to the internet. The computer connected wired to the same switch works fine. Looks like something with the wireless network but no idea what - I'll ask Tech Support. I'll also try the new app and see what happens...

Back