• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Install Extra HD in Strato

lesliew

A few questions

Is it possible to install an extra HD in the Strato, I can see from the motherboard that there is a spare power connector and SATA connector so it was certainly designed to support 2 drives.

It is using the WD Purple Surveillance Drives so my plan would be to install the identical drive. Anything special that needs to be done to get the strato to recognize the extra HD.

Is 10TB * 1 the maximum the Original Strato supports or does 6TB * 2 drives work to bring it up to the same capacity as the Strato S.

I understand the warranty risks.
I understand that the above actions my be frowned upon by some people.

A few questions

Is it possible to install an extra HD in the Strato, I can see from the motherboard that there is a spare power connector and SATA connector so it was certainly designed to support 2 drives.

It is using the WD Purple Surveillance Drives so my plan would be to install the identical drive. Anything special that needs to be done to get the strato to recognize the extra HD.

Is 10TB * 1 the maximum the Original Strato supports or does 6TB * 2 drives work to bring it up to the same capacity as the Strato S.

I understand the warranty risks.
I understand that the above actions my be frowned upon by some people.

I seriously doubt that this will work. Just because the hardware connections are there, doesn't mean that the Kscape software will actually use it. Also, K has a particular way that they format the drives to prevent this sort of thing.

As far as I know, all Strato hardware (Strato, Strato C, and Strato S) is the same. The only difference is case size and hard drive size. The motherboard is the same.

I seriously doubt that this will work. Just because the hardware connections are there, doesn't mean that the Kscape software will actually use it. Also, K has a particular way that they format the drives to prevent this sort of thing.

As far as I know, all Strato hardware (Strato, Strato C, and Strato S) is the same. The only difference is case size and hard drive size. The motherboard is the same.

Thanks for the info, yes I guess the HD format could be an issue. dd might come in useful there. Interesting what you said about the motherboard though. If that is the case then the second SATA connector must be active in the Strato S 12Tb model as WD don't make 12TB surveillance drives.

Neither the Strato nor the Strato S supports 2 HDDs. The Strato S uses a single 12TB HDD.

I know you mentioned understanding the loss of warranty risk by modifying the Strato, but it's more than that, K can rescind your license to use the K System, and this means no Support, including software updates, and also the loss of access to the K Store. Obviously given that the Strato is Store dependent, probably not a good idea. All of this is part of the Kaleidescape Service and License Agreement.

(Not trying to be the K Police here, just reminding people there are limits imposed by the license to use these systems.)

Jim

(Not trying to be the K Police here, just reminding people there are limits imposed by the license to use these systems.)

Jim

That’s ok, I’m trying to understand so any input positive or negative is good.

Just testing this. If I replace a faulty HD with a brand identical to the original. Would that be classed as a modification. Is it any different than replacing a faulty remote or Power brick. Hard drives are consumable items after all. A manufacturer is no longer able to refuse service/warranty if an owner decides that they want to open the unit up.

Given that K doesn't repair any out-of-warranty components, and only provides a replacement option for some out-of-warranty components, I can't see any reason an owner would be prevented from repairing the unit themselves, it's been done many, many times over the years and K has never objected. There's a difference between a "repair" replacing like items, and a modification that changes the original design.

Jim

The only obvious caveat is that I have no authority to speak for Kaleidescape, so their views on this subject may be different, but as I noted, many folks repair OOW components on their own and it's never been a problem to my knowledge.

Jim

There's a difference between a "repair" replacing like items, and a modification that changes the original design.

Jim

Never really was talking about a modification that changes the original design.

Not planning on testing this in court but I don’t think it would be difficult to argue that if the spare SATA connector is there and functional and simply plugging a HD in makes it usable; again that would not be a modification. Of course I’m not ignoring the fact that the port could be disabled through the service menu and any attempt to enable it could then actually be considered a modification. That would be harder to argue given the proprietary nature of software code.

All good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That comment wasn't aimed at you, just a general comment (but your original question regarding adding a second drive would fall into the "change of design" category).

I agree, good conversation, and certainly NOT questioning your intentions, you're just asking about what is permitted. All good!:)

Jim

Just testing this. If I replace a faulty HD with a brand identical to the original. Would that be classed as a modification. Is it any different than replacing a faulty remote or Power brick. Hard drives are consumable items after all. A manufacturer is no longer able to refuse service/warranty if an owner decides that they want to open the unit up.

I'm not going to comment on what constitutes a modification vs a repair as that's not my area of expertise. I will say, however, that simply replacing the HDD that is installed in a Strato/Alto/Terra with a new one "off the shelf" will not work. The system will not recognise the new hard drive as being valid.

The tinkerer in me wonders if it's easy to pull the HD from the Strato, buy a 12TB drive, use some cloning software, then drop the 12TB back into the Strato and have it work. Used to do stuff like in my TiVos.

I'd wait until you're out of warranty to try that.:)

Jim

The tinkerer in me wonders if it's easy to pull the HD from the Strato, buy a 12TB drive, use some cloning software, then drop the 12TB back into the Strato and have it work. Used to do stuff like in my TiVos.

I'll save you the trouble of trying it and let you know right up front that it will not work.

One possibility

The HD logic board may carry some custom firmware which is identified during the boot process. Would be interesting to see if simply swapping the board onto an off the shelf HD of the same model would work.

Anyone have a dead Strato HD they want to donate to science !!!

One possibility

The HD logic board may carry some custom firmware which is identified during the boot process. Would be interesting to see if simply swapping the board onto an off the shelf HD of the same model would work.

Anyone have a dead Strato HD they want to donate to science !!!

I rarely see as is Strato units come up for sale, or parted out units but they do come up. Mostly on eBay. Create a notification email. Still not cheap even for parts.

Back