• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Incorporating DVD movie intros

sshearer

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I previously purchased a custom DVD movie intro from customht.com and have been very happy with it. Is there any easy way to set up the system to play this intro before the actual movie is played? Right now, I pick the intro from the movie list, play the intro, then go back into the movie list and choose the actual movie and then play that movie. Does anyone know any way to automate this process?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott

You want to set up a script.

The script would play the intro then play your movie. You then play the script. It is easy to do and lots of steps can be added in to make a whole elaborate chain of events

Exactly right - many people do exactly what you're asking for Scott. You use your web interface to your Kaleidescape, go to the Scripts tab, and you should be able to easily set up your first script to play your intro and then the movie.

BUT, you have to customize the script to explicitly reference the movie you want, and then change it for your next movie night. The script will say:
PLAY "Scott's Movie Intro #1"
PLAY "Iron Man"
(and you can of course add trailers, trivia questions (if you have the right content), a DTS or THX intro, etc.)

Here's an example of a script I've used to automate an entire movie night, with an intro, short feature, trivia questions, trailers, DTS intro, and the feature.
script2.jpg

BUT, scripts can't have variables... nor can they jump in and automatically change for any movie you pick, by forcing the playing of your intro before any movie selected.

So you need to plan ahead a bit and make a script for your particular selected movie for that night, then edit the script for the next night.

That, in my mind, is a huge bummer and why I've stopped using scripts. Without variables, they're pretty useless in most situations. I've asked Kaleidescape for years to give us some more programming flexibility with scripts, but no response and no changes to script commands or editing in many many years. Oh well, it was something that held great potential and then was flawed in its execution (IMO) and kind of abandoned by their software teams as far as I can tell.

We can continue to hope... and if you agree that it should do more, let them know. I'm probably the only one who ever asked. At the very least, add your voice to this thread here.

--josh

I think there is a way it could be done easily without too many programming changes.

1. Allow there to be a default script
2. Allow the default script to have "play selected feature" put in to the script.
3. Allow script play to as one of the movie options
4. Allow the owner to choose "script play" or play movie as the default play mode for each player.

That would allow one to write a script for their theater that includes the dimming of the lights, concession trailer, their custom intro, then play their movie with a set intermission script as part of the main script.

For people in other rooms, they are not tied in to the default scripting so the kids won't watch all your stuff when they want to put on Sponge Bob, season 7.

Another cool option would be for each player to have a default script. That would allow for different scripts based on which room somebody is in although I don't know how many people would take advantage of that.

What Id like to see is a simple play script before movie added to the options when you select a movie. You could designate a default script else where. So lets say you select Iron Man, the options would be:
Return
Play Movie
Play Disc
Add to Collection
Play Script with Movie

Put it down so it doesn't freak out the newbies.

What Id like to see is a simple play script before movie added to the options when you select a movie. You could designate a default script else where. So lets say you select Iron Man, the options would be:
Return
Play Movie
Play Disc
Add to Collection
Play Script with Movie

Put it down so it doesn't freak out the newbies.

Jerry:

I an insulted that you think that I would be freaked out as I am actually rather technically competent... :mad:

Joel

PS. For those that do not know, I am yanking Jerry's chain as I know him well from elsewhere and nothing negative is implied...

Last edited:
Good thing you added the P.S..:D

Jim

Funny Joel. I dont mean newbie as in you are new to the K experience, I really meant there are some people who don't want to get too technical. Maybe I should have said luddites.

Funny Joel. I dont mean newbie as in you are new to the K experience, I really meant there are some people who don't want to get too technical. Maybe I should have said luddites.

Noted...anyways, a fun and good exchange...

Joel

I think there is a way it could be done easily without too many programming changes.

1. Allow there to be a default script
2. Allow the default script to have "play selected feature" put in to the script.
3. Allow script play to as one of the movie options
4. Allow the owner to choose "script play" or play movie as the default play mode for each player.

That would allow one to write a script for their theater that includes the dimming of the lights, concession trailer, their custom intro, then play their movie with a set intermission script as part of the main script.

For people in other rooms, they are not tied in to the default scripting so the kids won't watch all your stuff when they want to put on Sponge Bob, season 7.

Another cool option would be for each player to have a default script. That would allow for different scripts based on which room somebody is in although I don't know how many people would take advantage of that.

Thanks everyone for your great comments. I would really like the ability to do what was suggested above. If I am having other people over to the theatre, I usually don't know what movie they want to watch (or even if they ask for a specific movie, that choice can often change at the last minute), so doing a script ahead of time with the specific movie chosen is usually not a realistic option.

Josh, I will add my voice to the thread you referenced. I would not think it would be too difficult for K to do and I think it would really add another WOW feature to their already great software.

Scott

If I am having other people over to the theatre, I usually don't know what movie they want to watch (or even if they ask for a specific movie, that choice can often change at the last minute), so doing a script ahead of time with the specific movie chosen is usually not a realistic option.
Wouldn't this work?

1. Write script.
  2. Export to file.
  3. Replicate & edit for each movie (mail merge from an export of your movie list?)
  4. Import script files.
  5. If there are too many movies, and there is no easy way to automate the changes, then move them into a collection titled "Movie Night Masterpieces" as completed. Because there is no way you are really just trying to railroad their selections for your convenience, right?

Last edited:
I think that could work and once upon a time I was thinking about doing that but I never got around to it. I actually have a script that plays a few previews of other movies and then it plays the "welcome to our theater" custom introduction and then it goes on to play the designated movie. I don't think it would be too difficult for K to add a "play script before movie" function to the menu. Please Please K? We've been good for 2010- well, mostly ;)

Back