• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Import Rights / Grandfather Status "transfer" options?

Can anyone tell me please if it's possible to transfer the import rights for a 5U (has three failed drives, so basically a boat-anchor) to a Cinema One (latest version)?

If so, is this just an email exchange with K, or does one need to send the beast in to K? With the lack of support for the 5U Servers, I'm wondering what other options are possible (besides an upgrade to a new 1U which is out my budget now and probably anytime soon).

I'm a former employee of a now-defunct dealer, so obviously, I don't have a dealer to ask.

Thanks, Cameron

Normally you can just group the server into your existing system and it would inherit those rights, but since you cannot boot your old server, my guess is you might need to talk to Kaleidescape's tech support. I would suggest sending them an email with both server serial numbers.

Yes, the right's existing for grandfathered systems can be transferred from one grandfathered Server to another, but K does not do this as a service (meaning they will not allow back and forth swapping of the status between servers). The original intent was to support grandfathered systems that were being upgraded from one Server to another, and in cases where an owner was purchasing a new Server because an old Server had failed.

Your situation would likely qualify based on your description, BUT, you would need to get K Support's approval (email them with the details: support@kaleidescape.com) AND, you would be required to return the 5U to K for verification that it is no longer in use (basically they discard the Server after transferring the status). There may or may not be a small fee associated with the process, Support will provide the exact details.

Jim

Thank you Mike and Jim for responding; I appreciate it!

I sent an email to K yesterday AM after reading your posts, but other than an automated response-email, I haven't heard back yet. I'll post again once I hear back.

Thanks again,
Cameron

Back