• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Import HD Material via AVCHD DVD?

Joe

I was wondering if the Kaleidescape would allow me to import HD material from an AVCHD DVD. I have been shooting HD material for years on a tape-based, HDV camcorders. However, I recently purchased a new AVCHD camcorder and noticed that I can render and burn HD material onto regular DVDs (as long as the content fits). It would be great to import all of my daughter's school plays and family events in HD.

Thanks,

Joe

If the resuting DVD plays in a regular DVD player, it will probably load fine into Kaleidescape. We do it all the time (but for standard-def home movies on DVD). You can create your own cover art, descriptions, etc. via the web interface. Then your daughter's name can show up in the actors' names in the description which is neat to see.

Probably no. The reason is that while the DVD itself would be compatible with the K reader and system the format of the data in AVCHD as opposed to MPEG2 (the format of DVD) would not. It might actually be read if the formatting of the disc is the same as DVD-Video but I dont think it can play back without the ability of the player to decode that format.

I was wondering if the Kaleidescape would allow me to import HD material from an AVCHD DVD. I have been shooting HD material for years on a tape-based, HDV camcorders. However, I recently purchased a new AVCHD camcorder and noticed that I can render and burn HD material onto regular DVDs (as long as the content fits). It would be great to import all of my daughter's school plays and family events in HD.

Thanks,

Joe

You can import DVD-Video format from DVD (-R, -RW, +R, +RW). You would be able to import content converted to MPEG-2 (Video Rez needs to be "Full D1" (720/480, I'm assuming NTSC here). The frame rate needs to be 29.97 and audio should be 48 kHz 16 Bit (DTS, DD, MP2).

There are several programs available to convert to MPEG-2 (Pinnacle 11, Nero Vision, etc.). I'm asuming you will use one of those, and if so, shouldn't be a problem.

You could always burn one and try it. You cannot hurt the K system and then you would know for sure.:)

(If you do not own a K system and want me to test one of your DVD's, PM me for an address and I'll test it for you.)

Jim

Jim, I tried to play around with this and I found I could not get 1080i or P MPEG2 on a properly authored DVD-Video disc. It wants to see 480i but Id love to hear if anyone has success with it.

That's interesting Jerry. The K can handle it as described above, but obviously that assumes you have been able to get the content on the disk. I'll ask K about this as I'm curious as well. I would also like to know more about the "HD" content that K put onto our servers.

Jim

Maybe its possible but I am not using the right tools... There are many moving parts here. There is no way they got that content in there using a regular DVD as a carrier though because HD content, even on a dual layer DVD, would max out to something like 9 minutes using MPEG-2 encoding. My guess is they just dumped it from their servers.

Good points.

Jim

Can you import via USB? I mean you can buy USB keys that are 16 gigs. That way your not limited to getting HD content on a DVD. You might (WARNING: DANGER WILL ROBINSON) be able to remove the reader from the player and replace it with a blu-ray player. Or better yet if there is a USB port hook up an external blu-ray drive. Hey this brings up another question? Why does K not have a upload screen via an IP like they use when importing via a speed reader?

I dont think so. It comes down to the players ability to decode a video format- they can decode MPEG2 right now.

It can be done but you have to use a transport disk to load the content into the system and I do not know if Kaleidescape is going to be offering that service to all their owners. I just know it has the capability to be done.

Right- but that video is in the MPEG2 format. If you could send K video in that format and then if they would load a transport disc, then yes, it would work.

Back