• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Impact of changing DVD region code (Cinema One) on current and future D2D offers

rydiger

When having imported a number of DVDs on a Cinema One (grandfathered), and then changing the DVD region code:

1. What happens to D2D offers already generated from the "old" region content - do they still remain available, or do they disappear from the account?

2. What happens to the ability of imported content to generate future D2D offers?

My case: I have several TV series on DVD not available in the store, some in region 1 and some in region 2. I can use one region change to get them all imported. If future D2Ds are generated from all imported content you have, regardless of the active region, everything will work out fine. (Assuming the TV series become available in the store over time - hopefully).

But if D2Ds are only generated/refreshed from the active region code, I don't see how I can ever get this content fully converted to digital. Unless I get very lucky in the order in which Kaleidescape adds content to the store. (I'm importing as this is the only mechanism I know of to get D2Ds for DVDs, as opposed to Blu-rays, which I can catalog.)

Kind regards.

I wouldn't think the optical drive region setting have anything to do with the D2D offers available once the content is in.

The only real concern would be future use, as it charges against the number of times it can be switched. DVDs check region on import, BDs on playback. If you flip back & forth, you will burn-out changes.

The drive region code has no effect on Disc to Digital offers, and any DVD content that you import will remain playable even if you change the region of the drive. As Transepoch correctly noted, with DVD, region limitations are enforced by the drive when it reads the disc. Blu-ray region is enforced at playback time, and it's the player (not the drive) that has a region.

I honestly can't remember right now whether the player will show you the movie details sheet or if the drive punts it before it gets to that point. You could test this easily enough yourself. If it would get as far as showing you the details, you could potentially catalog the disc. I suspect that the drive will reject the disc before it gets to that point but I may be wrong.

That's great to hear. I'm assuming I won't get any more DVDs in the future, so in theory a single switch should be enough.

As for inserting a DVD with a different region code than the player, just tested it and the movie details sheet does pop up. While there is no catalog option on it, sometimes there is a "digital offer" option. It doesn't always appear, even with the same disc, so not sure what is going on there. When I inserted the first disc of a TV series, I had the option for a little while (10 seconds?), offering me an upgrade for the whole season before it disappeared right before my eyes.

So some digital offers are possible for content from an inactive region, but seemingly an unstable feature.

Still, I should be able to get everything imported or cataloged, and get D2Ds, so I count this as a win.

Thanks for the help!

Huh. That behavior with the Digital Offer item disappearing is strange. I will mention that to the team.

Back