• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

If I buy a Kaliedescape 1080P Player

1080 p player

You would need a server to utilize it. The new mini system is a great entry into kaleidescape, but review your needs as you could quickly fill a mini system. Not sure of the current 1u system price but there are some dealers on the forum that can post msrp. The 1080p player will work with any server so you could explore a used server there are several posted for sale here on the forum.

Agree with John. Sounds like Mini System is right for your needs. It includes the 1080p player and the server in one box. From there, you could add a second 1080p player to another room in your house, then add more servers (or minisystems) for more storage as needed.
--josh

You would not only need a K-Server, but also the licenses required operate a K System (Movies, Music, KEAOS use and updates, Metadata).

All owners start with at least a basic system. There are 3 basic systems, any of which provide the minimum necessary equipment and licenses to get started using a K System:

Mini-System (Newest addition to K) (Mini-Server and one 1080p Player)
1U System (1U Server and one 1080p Player)
3U System (3U Server and one 1080p Player)

As mentioned by John, buying a Player alone will not work, just as buying a Server alone will not work, and buying a Player alone, and a separate Server alone will also not work unless the Server you are buying has it's own licenses attached. If it does not, you would also need to purchase the appropriate licenses from K. (This could happen if someone was selling a Server from their system to add a different Server. They would need to keep their license, so the "sold" Server would not have a license).

More info on systems can be found on K's website (www.kaleidescape.com), including how to find a dealer in your area. There is also a lot of info on this Owner's Forum, and members are always happy to help with advice.

Although we dealers can sell anywhere, unrestricted, I highly recommend you contact a dealer in your area to provide more info, and pricing.

Thanks for posting your question!!:)

Jim

Well I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy a server oh well there are no dealers within 100 miles of my location anyways so even if I did decide to get one it's still too far away for me to drive.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Near,

Give me a call, I'll put you in touch with someone that may be able to help, or I'll see what we can do here.

Jim

Last edited:
I'd rather not call someone who gave their number online. Thanks anyways.

Huh??

Not sure I understand why, but no problem, (I was going to give you a name and number to call for someone looking to sell and doesn't want it posted on this forum.) NOT ME.:)

Jim

Looking to Sell

Jim,

I'd be happy to take that number :> I bought a Mini System, and it is full. I'm not even close to being done importing.

You know, I loved the mini to get into Kaleidescape, but I really underestimated what I have. I didn't do a physical count, but I thought I was close. I was wrong....

Thanks, Steven

Jeez... Jim's a moderator here, a Kaleidescape dealer, he's posted 400+ messages, every one of which was purely helpful to owners, curious people, and other members of the community, even other dealers. You make it sound like he's out to do something bad to you when he was only offering his help and advice.

I understand your reluctance to call someone from the online world. I realize in this context this will carry less weight than Id like but Jim is a good guy who I highly recommend and hes just trying to help. If calling him is too much of a leap for you- why not just call up Kaleidescape themselves and ask for the closest dealer. If its something you want to acquire, the Kaleidescape system is truly wonderful and is so easy to install you could do it yourself. Its so easy, an adult could do it! :)

[this message brought to you by an actual adult!]

Ermmm.. not quite sure where that idea comes from mate... surely the idea of a forum is so that we can all help each other. the dealers here don't expect to make money from the help we give, just to help the brand develop (it is after all the best system available today)

Steven, it's the biggest problem with the mini system, I had a discussion with technical as to if they could develop a disk expansion tray for the miniplayer, which may be an idea, however for the time being you either have to buy another system and daisy chain them together, or buy a server and add that to the network, we have sold a small amount of the minisystem but when we get a client to do a physical count of DVD and CD's then invariably we end up supplying a 3u server...

Back