• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

I want to be able to rate my own collection

Mossback

Its a bit annoying that movies on the store have ratings: Rotten and User ratings, but after I purchase, that often disappears, and it’s not available offline in my collection. I would love to be able to rate my collection after I have viewed it; as the group grows, this becomes a more significant issue. Does that make sense? Even if it’s just a thumbs up, down the system. I’d love to have a notes section or something somewhere that I can add info about movies I own and have watched.

Not sure how much work would be involved in supporting that on K's end, but I'm sure others would agree with your thoughts. I considered a separate sticky thread in the Store sub-forum for folks to make comments about movies they've watched.

Jim

I requested this as part of the iPhone app but it didn’t make the cut. So I would be interested in something like this. My desire is to also see input from other Forum members too.

John

When browsing with friends for something to watch or re-watch, it would be great to read what you thought or even or a star rating; that would be the best of the simple solutions. I imagine it could be a note icon in the title that shows you have comments. This sounds like a "third-party app" and use an API to overlay the library. We use API all the time to bridge disparate systems in IT> But as far as I can tell, Kscape is a tightly closed loop.

Not a perfect solution, but if thumbs-up/down is adequate, couldn't you make a pair of collections for that (at least until you accept an improvement update for the title?)

a 1-5 star rating would be nice, with higher stars receiving more priority on the movie collage and 1 star movies not showing up. (for those that keep it around because they have the space and can't seem to delete it, even though they likely won't watch again)

I would also love the capability to provide my own rating with a 1-5 scale.

Mossback’s suggestion for a Notes field is great. I would extend this by having the possibility to specify my own tags for each movie. This would allow search or group automatically by tag with more flexibility than with Collections.

When it comes to Collections, I am trying to find a way to rename them. I have a collection with 392 titles in it for which I want to change the name of the collection. Apparently, the only way to do that is to create a new collection and re-add all these titles one by one, then delete the old collection. Not practical!

I would also love the capability to provide my own rating with a 1-5 scale.

Mossback’s suggestion for a Notes field is great. I would extend this by having the possibility to specify my own tags for each movie. This would allow search or group automatically by tag with more flexibility than with Collections.

When it comes to Collections, I am trying to find a way to rename them. I have a collection with 392 titles in it for which I want to change the name of the collection. Apparently, the only way to do that is to create a new collection and re-add all these titles one by one, then delete the old collection. Not practical!
Go to the web browser for your system. Pick the collection you want to Rename in the Movies tab. Pick rename collection and type in new name.

John

Re ratings, it’s not the same thing but couldn't you just create 5 (or more) new collections named 1 star etc etc etc and then add the movies to each one of those as you assess them? I guess it depends what it is that you intend to do with that rating. If you want it to find a good movie that you enjoy it probably works better than searching through every title and then looking at your rating which seems tedious. Just go to the collection.

Not sure what else you would use it for but I am sure there are other reasons. Most of those that I can think of might be better served outside of K though I suspect and likely niche.

Re ratings, it’s not the same thing but couldn't you just create 5 (or more) new collections named 1 star etc etc etc and then add the movies to each one of those as you assess them? I guess it depends what it is that you intend to do with that rating. If you want it to find a good movie that you enjoy it probably works better than searching through every title and then looking at your rating which seems tedious. Just go to the collection.

Not sure what else you would use it for but I am sure there are other reasons. Most of those that I can think of might be better served outside of K though I suspect and likely niche.

Good idea. The limitation is that collections are only useful for the movies actually downloaded to your local K storage. You can't put movies, in general, from your library into collections, and the built collections are only relevant to one specific storage set. They really need to be cloud-based and account-wide. That would help your suggestion of using collections to bin rate content to work.

Good idea. The limitation is that collections are only useful for the movies actually downloaded to your local K storage. You can't put movies, in general, from your library into collections, and the built collections are only relevant to one specific storage set. They really need to be cloud-based and account-wide. That would help your suggestion of using collections to bin rate content to work.
Ahh didn't know that. I have downloaded all of our movies so far and bought more storage but it's good to know. Thanks

Ahh didn't know that. I have downloaded all of our movies so far and bought more storage but it's good to know. Thanks

Yeah, K really works better in many regards if you keep your entire movie library downloaded locally. There are definite limitations to owning less storage and cycling content; however, they could make the latter experience better with software features should they choose to develop them. That's why we keep asking for the devices to show us our entire collection, not just the downloaded ones. :)

I'd need an 88TB Terra though to hold all my stuff...

As JohnJ already noted, you can rename your collections either in the onscreen display or in the browser interface, but you can only rename collections that you created. System collections can't be renamed.

If you ever want to put all of the movies from one collection into some other collection, that can be done in a couple of steps in the browser interface:
  1. Create the new collection
  2. Then switch to the collection whose contents you want to move
  3. Select all (tick the check box at the very top of the list, above all of the per-movie check boxes
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and you'll see a popup menu next to an "Add to Collection" button
  5. Change the popup to your desired target collection
  6. Click the Add to Collection button

Back