• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

i need to learn

nenetech

lets start by saying i am new to kaleidescape. i know nothing. i saw the system on mtv cribs and fell in love with the look. so lets get to how dumb i am. :confused:
1. how many part are there. and what are they. please explain each part and what it does
2. do you need a computer for this system
3. if a computer is needed what are the requirements
4. is it really the best system for the money
i realize this is a lot for one post but i am eager to learn
bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

OK, I'll take a shot...

1. how many part are there. and what are they. please explain each part and what it does
The basic parts are the Kaleidescape Server, and the combination reader/player ("Movie Player 2"). You can have many players that all can play movies stored on your server. There's no (practical) limit to the number of players you can have, it depends how many rooms you want operational. But for the basics, let's assume you'll have a single Movie Player and a single server loaded up with some storage discs.​
2. do you need a computer for this system
You could use the system for its basic functionality without a computer (Playing movies and music). Technically speaking, a computer IS required during initial setup, but I imagine it's possible a dealer could come out and use his computer to get you set up and then he could disconnect his computer and you could happily use the system to load, store, and watch movies without a PC.

That said, I can't imagine anyone who was putting in a Kaleidescape who would NOT have a computer in the home. Having a computer on the same network lets you do a lot more organizing and is helpful in many ways... so I'd say it's highly recommended if not technically required.​
3. if a computer is needed what are the requirements
You don't need anything fancy, just a computer with a web browser on it, as the interface to Kaleidescape is done through web pages. If you want to do the synchronization of your Kaleidescape music library with iTunes, then the computer should be a PC, not a Mac (for now).​
4. is it really the best system for the money
Ah... well, there's the tough one. Hard to really justify this kind of $$ to play movies and music, and of course the people on this forum are pretty biased, but do your own research and I think you'll find most Home Theater industry experts agree that it's the best PERFORMING system out there. Whether or not that means it's the best system "for the money" depends on your own needs and budget. We've all had people scoff at the thought of paying this much for a "fancy DVD player". Many will claim that you can do 80% of a Kaleidescape for 20% of the cost with some Windows Media Center solutions... (many of us might dispute that 80% claim, but that's another topic)... so if you're on a budget, then you should look into those systems. Many are happy with them.

For what it's worth, if you can afford a Kaleidescape, I don't think you'll regret it. On these forums, I've interacted with hundreds of owners and I've yet to find a single one who had buyers' remorse or found the system anything less than astounding and completely worth the money. I HAVE heard of owners of competing lower-priced systems that will admit to "Kaleidescape Envy" but take comfort in having spent so much less than did we. There's merit to that also.

I guess it's like asking if an Aston Martin or a Ferrari is "worth the money" when a Lexus or even a Toyota can do 80% (?) of the same thing for a tiny fraction of the cost. Many will scoff at a $200k-$300k car purchase, others will justify it as buying a finely engineered machine that performs at the top of what the industry can create. Both are probably right.
Hope that's helpful, good luck with your decisions. Feel free to post any follow-up questions for which we can be helpful.

--josh

you make a lot of sense on many different levels. you seem like the type of person that is straight to the point. i like that. thank you
i have a budget of about 10000 is that enough for this system. i need it for about 3 rooms

Happy to help. Unfortunately, $10k won't get you 3 rooms of playback... in fact it probably won't get you 1 room of playback even on the cheapest server unless you find a heck of a deal from someone upgrading from a 1U Kaleidescape server to a 3U server.

I forget the pricing- sorry- but youd need a server and a player. The 1u server I think- my apologies if Im very wrong on this- is around 12k and a player is like 2500. Also K is saying they will roll out blu ray ability in 2009. Does that mean early 09 or late? I dont know. The server will be compatible but the player will need to be replaced. So maybe its worth while to wait if that matters to you. I also think the 3U server is like 18k but offers you so much better expandability that I really have a hard time recommending the 1U because IMHO if youre going to spend the money you might as well not be left feeling like you cheeped out when you fill up the server (btw this "U" refers to how high in rack spaces the given unit is- so 1u is not too tall- maybe like 2" or so- and 3U is 3x that) . JMHO

Think about!

Nenetech,

Actually, just for $2000 you can built a state-of-the-art media center that would fulfill 99% of all your needs.
The most simple configuration would cost you even less and consist of the media player (say, DLink520) and Media Server software installed on your computer. If you want something similar to the kaleidescape interface install Windows Media Center (now part of the Vista Premium) and MyMovies, excellent free application that supports cover art, access to the actors/directors biographies etc.

Unfortunately, this remaining 1% is crucial because kaleidescape is the only known system that allows you to store DVD rips on your server legally in USA. It's a different story in UK because draconian EU Copyright Directive has yet to be implemented. So, all alternatives to kaleidescape imply using so called "third party software" which is illegal under DMCA.

Actually, effective April 1st, K has changed their pricing. All new systems will include the Lifetime movie guide and software upgrade service as well as BOTH movie and music licenses.

The MSRP is now:

1U Server System (with the minimum 2 disks) is: $13,900 (Approx.)
3U Server System (with the minimum 3 disks) is: $23,800 (Approx.)

The pricing above includes all licenses and one movie player. Additional Movie Players are $3,995 (They've never been $2,500). Additional 1 TB storage disks are $1,245.

Keep in mind that these are MSRP prices (which is all we post on the forum).

Jim

i can do the 1u i guess, but i have more questions like
can you turn a 1u into a 3u over time or or you stuck with just one rack.
what do you mean 1u system with minimum of 2 disk
how much storage comes with the 1u
i have seen movie players on ebay would they work with a 1u

You cannot "turn a 1U into a 3U," but you can add a 3U server to your system when you need additional storage space.

The 3U Server can hold 14 disks. At a minimum, 3 disks are required for the server. One disk is the RAID back-up disk, one disk is the "blank" hot swap disk (used only if a disk fails), and the third disk is for actual storage.

The 1U Server can hold a maximum of 4 disks. The 1TB disks are the largest capacity currently available. The 1U Server does not have the "hot swap" capability of the 3U Server and therefore does not need a hot swap disk, which is why you only need a minimum of 2 disks with a 1U.

Each 1TB disk can store approximately 150 DVDs or 1600 CDs. A 1U Server with the minimum 2 disks will store approx. 150 DVDs. With 4 disks, the 1U can store approx. 450 DVDs. The 3 disk 3U stores the same as the 2 disk 1U (150 DVD's). Each additional disk increases storage by 150 DVD's.

The most basic 1U system includes the Server (with 2 disks), one Movie Player, all licenses, and lifetime subscription to the Movie Guide and Software Upgrade Service. The 3U System would be the same, but includes that additional "hot swap" disk for a total of 3 disks.

K is a custom order product so there is no "standard" system. You can configure your K system to accommodate any size DVD/CD collection. However, each server must have the minimum number of disks indicated above to function properly.

Yes, assuming the Ebay player you mentioned is working properly, it will work with a new K System.:)

Jim

i can do the 1u i guess, but i have more questions like
can you turn a 1u into a 3u over time or or you stuck with just one rack.

Kaleidescape was and likely still is offering a 1u to 3u upgrade. You receive a credit for your 1u chassis that is applied to the price of the new 3u chassis. The drives from your 1u would plug right into the new 3u chassis with all content, preferences and settings intact. You will need to purchase an additional K-DISK that will act as the Hot Spare, a feature that the 3u has but the 1u does not.

A Kaleidescape dealer can give you all the details:
http://kaleidescape.com/buy/

Back