• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

I have beaten the Kaleidescape Kobayashi Maru! Full High Res BluRay Audio on Meridian Systems is possible!!!

Do you mean Dune player as a decoder?

You are correct. That did not work.

Instead I used a receiver (see post 1 in this thread). We modified it so it sends out the decoded PCM over 3 coax wires which is what Meridian used to use for their 800 upsampling player. I just tell my 861 to use the 3 coax input and it works fine. No 621 required in this example. I still use it as an HDMI switch because there are other sources that can decode.

Ahhhh, sorry I didn't realize that the initial post was updated.

Very creative solution! However, I'm hesitant to do likewise without 7.1.

Yes that was the only downside and I have a 7.0 system. However, the result even when its 5.1 played back as 7.0 is impressive- Meridian does a good job of creating the extra channels and there (at the time- several years now) were not that many native 7.1 soundtracks.

Bottom line for me Im locked into this because I have the Meridian speakers. For most others they can get a new processor etc.

I hope Meridian will one day do an upgraded 621 with decoding on board but Im not holding my breath...

I hear ya Jerry...Thanks for the creative solution. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest heavily into Kscape without the best in sound quality.

I think I'm actually going to deal with the headache of an HTPC. If it's too frustrating, maybe I'll reconsider. Ugh.

I wonder if its possible to get a HTPC to input a HDMI signal, decode it, output it as PCM.......

I would say it is possible. Whether it would require custom coding or if an off the shelf product can do it is what would be important to me.

Maybe I'll ask around on the JRiver forums. Their software is pretty robust.

Please let me know as I really have retired from all that kind of thing. But it might be worth it if I could just use it simply as a decoder. I would probably have to make an effort to get high quality components as I understand it, high quality audio and PCs dont always mix well.

Please let me know as I really have retired from all that kind of thing. But it might be worth it if I could just use it simply as a decoder. I would probably have to make an effort to get high quality components as I understand it, high quality audio and PCs dont always mix well.

You're talking about going from one digital audio format to another, right? If so, can't see how a PC could noise that up in the typical PC manner.

--Donnie

I think you are likely right- just thinking about jitter. But if this was possible the Meridian 621 can help with that.

Back