• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How much for Day and Date?

Here are the results of my survey with nearly 350 responses:
http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...tch-first-run-movies-home#dI1I6PJZy8jEtGKp.97
Thanks for everyone that took the time to answer the questions!
Best,
John Sciacca
Not too surprising, 50% of survey respondents said they’d pay less than $500 for this hardware. However, considering what this hardware would need to do—and the security safeguards it would have to employ to appease Hollywood’s piracy concerns—this seems unrealistically low for the foreseeable future. However, 50 respondents (14%) said they would pay a premium price of more than $2,000. This seems like a far more realistic amount for this hardware, especially considering that the current option is more than 15-times this price.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...tch-first-run-movies-home#kl11vIkQm4xdKTYX.99

What do you think this hardware has to do that is so expensive.

I see this as a glorified ATV1 with better (more current) video and audio capabilities.

Probably referring to the content security requirements, driven obviously by the studios, these requirements contribute significantly to the overall cost, as does all of the R&D. The Prima Cinema box ($35K) has a biometric security device built-in to their box, not sure if something like that would be required going forward, but apparently it was when PC entered the business.

Jim

Probably referring to the content security requirements, driven obviously by the studios, these requirements contribute significantly to the overall cost, as does all of the R&D. The Prima Cinema box ($35K) has a biometric security device built-in to their box, not sure if something like that would be required going forward, but apparently it was when PC entered the business.

Jim
I get that but still high expense. Fingerprint readers are cheap and in most cell phones now.

Encryption is what encryption standards are. Limit the local storage. A SD sized memory in a secure / fragile container.

Output is already hdmi secured.

Understood (except I don't think HDMI is all that secure).

I guess it comes down to some folks will buy-in and some will folks will not. Frankly I found Prima Cinema's solution to be very pricey, but they still signed a bunch of clients.

Jim

Understood (except I don't think HDMI is all that secure).

I guess it comes down to some folks will buy-in and some will folks will not. Frankly I found Prima Cinema's solution to be very pricey, but they still signed a bunch of clients.

Jim
Pricey, some might say!

Hdcp 2.2 is secure for now.

Well I'm one of those "some.":)

About as secure as it can be I guess, especially against the average hacker, but with the right skills and time, anything can be breached.

Jim

I'm just going to repeat this- if Kaleidescape were to offer theater-window movies that were only available to watch one time, without any guarantee of future ownership of the bluray copy, I would pay $500 for the opportunity to watch a theater release in my home.
These would be special viewing sessions, not for every movie, just for those times when I want to watch something that I would be forced to watch at a movie theater.
To me, to have "opening night" of some blockbuster in my own home represents something cooler than a sports car...

I've found my interest levels have changed over the years. I was one of those that had to see certain films immediately upon release to theaters, but the in-theater experience declined in value for me as cell phones were added to the usual talking, dirty floors, take-out-a-loan to pay for popcorn, lines, and general rudeness of some viewers.

Fortunately, movies started to become available rather quickly after the theater runs, so waiting a couple/few months was a better option for me. The strange thing is that I now find that I'm fine with the wait to see new movies. In fact, in some cases the wait actually provided more content as extended editions were made available for purchase, and I'm not paying twice (theater/disc) for the same film. (I know some of my friends here will point out that I waste $$$ every year keeping my theaters current, but my popcorn is much cheaper.:D)

Jim

Last edited:
Your home setup is also much closer to a commercial theatre setup anyway. I still like to go when there is something special provided by the theatre experience (huge screen, 3D, or avoiding beltway traffic.) With all the wiz-bang kit you are running, there's not much you are missing (at least until your kids get better at talking all the time.)

Ha! the kids are already talking during movies, it's just slightly more acceptable when they're yours....:D

Jim

Jim thats almost exactly how I feel. Its just the exceptional movie where I feel I need to see it in the theater. For example, I just saw Rogue One- I loved it!

I'm not surprised PC signed some people, as the old saying goes theres someone for every seat. But the key to just about any business I've ever seen is repetition. The question is will PC keep adding new clients or sources of revenue?

This would really make sense for Kaleidescape if they could get it. The studios/ content owners could add some kind of unobtrusive watermark so they could trace it if the video got out. I don't know that many other Kaleidescape owners, but of the ones I do know of, I would be surprised if any one would engage in piracy.

Thanks for posting John, I've been keeping up with these services, but you did a great job providing more detail, as you always do!

There is certainly a market for Day and Date, in fact several markets. At first I questioned why those with the ability to play in the luxury market would continue to do so once these much more realistically priced companies become available. Most of the folks I hang with buy luxury because of the exclusivity factor (ego driven), and that disappears when these cheaper companies provide the same thing to the masses, so while the exclusivity factor may disappear, they will likely use the privacy component (no sensor in their theater) to justify remaining with the higher priced providers.

The K owners I've spoken with on this subject, that want to participate in Day/Date, are generally divided into two groups, those willing to pay no more than $200 per movie, and those willing to go up to $400. The caveat with most of them is that they expect to OWN the title, although some said they were willing to wait 30 to 60 days before it permanently showed up in their systems (or Store account).

Interesting topic, we'll see where this all goes, but would certainly like to see it available to K owners at some point, although I can see more challenges in making that happen given the security concerns, and pricing models based on viewership, and described in your articles.

Thanks again John!

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for posting John, I've been keeping up with these services, but you did a great job providing more detail, as you always do!

There is certainly a market for Day and Date, in fact several markets. At first I questioned why those with the ability to play in the luxury market would continue to do so once these much more realistically priced companies become available. Most of the folks I hang with buy luxury because of the exclusivity factor (ego driven), and that disappears when these cheaper companies provide the same thing to the masses, so while the exclusivity factor may disappear, they will likely use the privacy component (no camera in their theater) to justify remaining with the higher priced providers.

The K owners I've spoken with on this subject, that want to participate in Day/Date, are generally divided into two groups, those willing to pay no more than $200 per movie, and those willing to go up to $400. The caveat with most of them is that they expect to OWN the title, although some said they were willing to wait 30 to 60 days before it permanently showed up in their systems (or Store account).

Interesting topic, we'll see where this all goes, but would certainly like to see it available to K owners at some point, although I can see more challenges in making that happen given the security concerns, and pricing models based on viewership, and described in your articles.

Thanks again John!

Jim

If they priced the movies at $200 to even $400, with the knowledge that it will remain in the library and owned, I could see more people going for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but unfortunately I think the current model with day and date vendors is more of a rental based, per viewing system, dictated I'm sure by the Studios.

Jim

Day and date viewing with those prices would require having the ownership rights in my library upon full release in addition to early access limited viewing to entice me to buy. I think it was ridiculous to pay hundred to rent and then be asking to spend $30 more to buy it later. Just bake it in.

You're not alone in that thinking. The current offerings to the public (not the Bel-Air Digital Circuit folks) in day/date, as noted by John's post are per viewing rentals. Not sure what it will take to get the Studios to allow K to participate, and whether they would allow ownership as part of the package. A couple of my Hollywood friends are part the Bel-Air Digital Circuit, but they don't get to keep their copy.

On occasion I get pre-release copies on disc that cannot be copied and always have to be returned. Many are long versions viewed before editing and contain the timing numbers in the lower corner, fun, but can be distracting. I'd pay for that if I had to, but currently not even an offered service, it's more about producers sharing content (but they have to own the content, otherwise Studio has to approve).

Jim

It looks that’s a fact that will come soon hope K will be in the same train as I see K system is one of the best if not the best to provide such this type of service with it’s loyal customer Hope it’s matter of time only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back