• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How many DVD/SD quality titles do you own?

How many DVD/SD quality titles do you own?

• None

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 1-5

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 5-10

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 10-50

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 50+

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
There is a decent amount of titles from the back catalog waiting to be upgraded to HD or higher. There are still some new titles added to the store in DVD/SD quality only. I wonder if Kaleidescape is wasting resources if such titles in DVD/SD quality have very minimal sales.

Update: Some of us have legacy Kaleidescape equipment which can import(rip) DVDs. Please include only store bought DVD quality content in your vote.

Last edited:
Probably well over a 1000, just for imported DVDs. Slowly upgrading when available and the price is right, but many will never find their way to HD/Blu-Ray. I don't know why new releases are in SD, especially (like PBS), when they are only available in SD. We all know they were not shot in that resolution. Some very old titles I can understand, but new TV series shot in HD (or higher) and only available in SD is a pet peeve.

There is a decent amount of titles from the back catalog waiting to be upgraded to HD or higher. There are still some new titles added to the store in DVD/SD quality only. I wonder if Kaleidescape is wasting resources if such titles in DVD/SD quality have very minimal sales.
As a rule I do not buy SD titles. Only exception I made was when "Veronica Mars" was on sale as a bundle, and some of that was in HD, so I got the set. Otherwise I consider it clutter.

I have a couple hundred SD-quality titles that are from the early days of the Store, but in probably the last 6–7 years, I don’t even consider purchasing new content if it is not at least available in HD (and preferably UHD/HDR).

To clarify, a good number of these SD titles have an upgrade offer, but for a variety of reasons (e.g., not worth a rewatch, too much $$, etc.), I’ve chosen not to participate.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD: 184; DVD: 878. I've upgraded almost all of my titles available, except for ones that are $20 or more (typically MGM), or TV series.

Dave

not many: really don’t enjoy watching something rhats not in HD. I’m 46, so a lot/most of the “older” movies from my youth are now in HD.

Last week I picked up Beverly Hills Cop I & 2 (number 3 sucked), and both were HDR

I usually don't buy SD but made a few exceptions. Stargate SG-1 is one of them. There is a couple of really "great" movies only available in SD so bought these two (and accidently bought The Last Boy Scout as well. Why is this not in HD?)

Around 7000 DVD titles, 100 Blu Ray ones and 2700 CD's on my Premier system of which the majority are not in the store so will stay on the Premier system. Going back to the question around 20 SD disks on my Terra system from the store which are mainly TV series where there is no HD version available.

Is there a way to export those metrics or did you manually count them?
I created an XLS where I enter movies on my wishlist, and then change the status to owned. I can track various metrics (spending, savings, era, average duration, etc), as well as which movies I've watched. Makes it easy to pick a movie I haven't watched, and within a certain length (e.g. less than 90min long).

As I started before I got my first component, adding movies one by one isn't a big deal. But if you have 500 movies already, it might take some time to complete.

Happy to share a blank version if there's interest.

I created an XLS where I enter movies on my wishlist, and then change the status to owned. I can track various metrics (spending, savings, era, average duration, etc), as well as which movies I've watched. Makes it easy to pick a movie I haven't watched, and within a certain length (e.g. less than 90min long).

As I started before I got my first component, adding movies one by one isn't a big deal. But if you have 500 movies already, it might take some time to complete.

Happy to share a blank version if there's interest.

As I got the question, here's the link to a blank version:

K Store Tracker - Google Drive Download Link

Let me know if the download works for you.

Any suggestions on improvements welcome.

For now, enter things manually. I add the link to the K-store so I know which version I've bought.
When you've purchased, change status to OWNED, and enter the price you paid in the price paid column, otherwise leave it blank if you haven't purchased it yet.
I also track D2D savings (as I was trying to track if buying an Alto to do D2D was worth it (it is)). If you don't do D2D, just leave the column blank.

When you've watched a movie, put X in the Watched column.

On the top of the Excel window, you should see a button to activate 2 filters: "Owned - Not Seen" and "No Filters". Switch between them to update the sheet, and then to filter the movies you haven't watched yet.

Happy to develop it further with input from the group. Wish I could pull some data directly from the K website based on the movie URL, but I'm not a software developer, so I don't know how to code in Excel to do API calls and such.

Back