• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How long until we get these in a 1U/3U chassis?

HiFiGuy1

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
How long until [ame="http://smile.amazon.com/Archive-3-5-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B00QX0ZGO6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430060080&sr=8-5&keywords=6TB"]this Seagate 8TB internal drive[/ame], or an equivalent, is available for K servers? With the advent of UHD content, and hopefully a player before the end of 2015, can this be far off?

9723af777b12f1536a79c7519a72a9f7_XL.jpg

Heck yeah!! 96TB, baby!! That's a lot of movies, UHD or not.

In the meantime just buy four full 3U's!:eek::D

Jim

I have the feeling that K is skipping the 6TB drives and will go straight to 8TB -which is good for me.

John

Based on a conversation I had with a tech, there doesn't seem much on the horizon for larger drives at all. Don't hear much about enterprise servers using drives this size. I hope I hope I am incorrect, as I would like to avoid multiple 3 u servers...

I would be surprised if it doesn't happen eventually. May not be a priority now, but seriously, with UHD content around the corner, I think it'll be important to have larger drives in all servers. I know the codec for the video is more efficient, and we won't need 4x the space for 4x the resolution, but we WILL need more space per movie, especially with HDR, 10 or 12 bit/color depth, and wider color space P3 and/or REC.2020 on the horizon. All those bits need a big bucket, and I don't think that we are going to want to reduce the sizes of our collections just to accommodate better image quality, even with the K Store as our library.

There are very few at K that ever know about larger drives being tested, and those that do will never comment. (All drives are tested for general reliability before being released.) If history is any indication, larger drives will eventually be offered........until then, we live with 4TB's. (I remember 300GB drives! What is that, 6 BR's?:eek:)

Jim

There are very few at K that ever know about larger drives being tested, and those that do will never comment. (All drives are tested for general reliability before being released.) If history is any indication, larger drives will eventually be offered........until then, we live with 4TB's. (I remember 300GB drives! What is that, 6 BR's?:eek:)

Jim

Hey!! My server resents that, since it currently has 10 of them installed. Maybe nine, and a 400, plus the new 1TB, which is currently wasted on parity/OS. Anyway, I envy all you guys with SATA stuff. Oh, to have the option of a 4TB drive!!

Hey!! My server resents that, since it currently has 10 of them installed. Maybe nine, and a 400, plus the new 1TB, which is currently wasted on parity/OS. Anyway, I envy all you guys with SATA stuff. Oh, to have the option of a 4TB drive!!

Hey! trade up! you're a dealer! :D

Jim

Yeah, a dealer who's trying to put a kid through private school at Spring Hill College!!! I do need to trade my 5U in for a 1U, though. First, actually, I think I am going to buy a demo Alto, since that's something I think the clients will appreciate being able to try in their homes before they buy it.

Newbie question while we're on the subject of larger drives :)
Are all 1U & 3U servers compatible with larger drives? For example would a used 3Uin the marketplace with 14 x 2TB be able to accept 4TB, or is there a limit for some servers?

Newbie question while we're on the subject of larger drives :)
Are all 1U & 3U servers compatible with larger drives? For example would a used 3Uin the marketplace with 14 x 2TB be able to accept 4TB, or is there a limit for some servers?

Yes, all 1U and 3U Servers use the same drives regardless of Server age. The drives circulating in the used marketplace tend to be 750GB, 1TB, 2TB, and on occasion 3TB. The newest drive available at K is the 4TB (but K also has a few 2TB drives, probably leftover from a high volume purchase, but not sure). Any size drive made for a 1U or 3U will work, but keep in mind the following info:

1. If it's a 750 or 1TB being discussed, be sure the drive was actually made for the 1U/3U (there are other Server's (i.e. 5U, CinemaOne, etc) that use same size drives, but different case that will not work in a 1U/3U chassis).

2. If buying used, be sure the used drives have been "reinitialized" by K before installing in your Server, or they will not work (when drives are first placed in a Server the file system attaches those drives to THAT Server and will not work in a different Server until reinitialized (basically put back into a virgin status). K charges a fee for this Service. The only exception to having to reinitialize used drives is when you place ALL of the used drive from one Server into another EMPTY Server. In that situation, the drives do not need to be reinitialized.

3. In a 1U, the FIRST larger drive you place in the 1U will not result in additional storage because that drives capacity will be allocated to KRAID. In a 3U, this happens to the FIRST TWO larger drives you install (allocated to KRAID and Hot Spare). There are factors that can affect the net storage result, but this is normally determined by how many drives are already in the Server receiving the larger drives (i.e. if the Server is already full of drives, then there is no gain in capacity when you swap drives, as noted above. If the drives are being added to a Server with empty slots, then you do at least "free up" the capacity of the drive that was the Hot Spare, and the previous KRAID allocation. Hope that's clear.

Jim

Larger drives would be good but I wonder if there will also need to be a server upgrade (memory at least) as both my 3U's have 14 off 4Tb drives in each with a remaining space for 150 BR's and now they often display the message "Working" for a few seconds on the screen when selecting films to play.

New 3U servers are now rated at 15 zones of BR.

When I first checked bandwidth they were rated at 5 zones (if my memory is correct) later it was 9 zones and now 15. I suspect something has changed in those servers but its probably a secret. More oomph and memory?

Back