• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How is everyone enjoying the M-700 Vault

I will not buy an M700 or another M-player until it can decode to LPCM 7.1

Now that the M700 is out and they have a Blu-Ray system they can market, it seems that the two biggest items that K* should add to the M series players is LPCM 7.1 and 3D capability.

I think those 2 features would give virtually everyone what they want for a system that stores all DVDs & Blu-Rays.

I only partially agree. I completely agree with you Igimene when it comes to DVDs, but I'm NOT at all impressed with the implementation of BluRay on Kaleidescape.

biggest complaint: I love to watch the bonus materials for movies... why on earth do I need to go to "play disc" to access blu-ray bonus materials, sitting through all the locked-down, remote-disabling junk and trailers and FBI warnings, just to get to the disc menu to get to the blu-ray bonus stuff? For DVDs, you can go to the elegant, junk-skipping "play movie", then press "disc menu" and boom, you're ready to watch bonus materials. Frustrates me to no end now that I'm watching more BluRay on Kaleidescape. Very NON-Kaleidescape in my mind.

Would've sworn I did that over the weekend to get into the extras. Then again, I also recall staring at the options in wonder at not seeing an option for the top menu. (It was still present in the web interface, but why should I have to fire that up?) Maybe I am thinking of how you cannot jump between discs unless you ran it by disc (and possibly also why they don't enable the disc menu if it "doesn't know what disc you are on.")

My biggest irritation is that when moving between episodes of a series, it always goes back to the top menu for... some reason. Having a 3 +/-1 second break and removing any audio/sub tweaks made manually is a pain. At least with DVDs there was the option to skip ahead, without re-caching the content as if a new movie.

Good question. The only nit Id pick with you Josh is how you said you're not at all impressed with the BR implementation on Kscape. There are a few things, like you mentioned and also the lack of internal decoding of the high res audio formats, that are annoyances, but overall I AM impressed with the fact that they made BR work. I should say Im not the biggest extras watcher, but every now and then I watch them.

Understandable... maybe I was slightly harsh, but it's overall a step backwards in utility for a step forwards in resolution & sound. I'm not that happy with it, but sounds like I'm unusual in that I usually watch ALL the bonus materials for any decent movie, so this really drives me crazy. Yes, blu-ray works, yes the limitations were probably driven by studio requirements, but it is still harder to use than it was in the past. YMMV

Now that the M700 is out and they have a Blu-Ray system they can market, it seems that the two biggest items that K* should add to the M series players is LPCM 7.1 and 3D capability.

I think those 2 features would give virtually everyone what they want for a system that stores all DVDs & Blu-Rays.

I agree. Even though I personally haven't been all that excited about 3D, I might get excited if the feature was there and done right. I enjoy all of my content so much more, now that's it's all on tap via the kscape. So I could well imagine gettng into the excitement of 3D ay time I want.

I wonder whether the M700 LPCM 7.1 "issue" ..could also be fixed with a KEAOS upgrade? or it would require upgrading chips on the M700 Motherboard? Does anybody know?
I agree with Josh that is a nuisance to have to go through unwanted material when watching blue ray's special features....

It's a hardware limitation, there is no prospect of LPCM until the next player (if at all!)

Back