• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Home video player history

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
You have seen my previous posts mentioning Laserdiscs time to time. It was a fantastic format for home video. Many of the current standard home video features such as anamorphic widescreen video, commentary tracks, special features, Dolby Surround AC-3*, DTS, THX and many others were first implemented on Laserdiscs.

Linus made a video about this format. I think he covers it pretty well except they picked a pretty mediocre Laserdisc player. Laserdiscs are analog in video. The quality of the Laserdisc player greatly affects the final results. Nevertheless, the video covers most of the basics for those who have never heard of Laserdiscs or seen one.

We Bought a Giant Movie CD Player and it’s Amazing

First time I watched a movie on Kaleidescape, it reminded me of Laserdiscs actually. Laserdisc was the format of premium home theaters in the 90s. Once you pop the disc in the player and hit play, the film would begin immediately. No previous, no coming soon announcements, no FBI warnings, the film would begin immediately, just like how it does on Kaleidescape.

*Later re-named to be Dolby Digital. Batman Returns (1992) was the first movie in Dolby Surround AC-3 in cinemas. Clear and Present Danger (1994) was the first movie with Dolby Surround AC-3 on Laserdisc released on January 1995 (More than 2 years earlier than the first DVD).

Trivia: Jurassic Park (1993) was the first movie with DTS in cinemas and the first movie on Laserdisc with DTS released on January 1997 (a couple months earlier than the first ever DVD release), it was later released on DVD with DTS on November 1998.

More Trivia: Jurassic Park (1993) was also released on Hi-Vision Laserdiscs on February 1996 only in Japan. Hi-Vision Laserdiscs had 1080i (1035 visible scan lines) and a proprietary audio format called Dance (Digital Audio Near-instantaneous Compression and Expansion) with 3 discreet front channels and single mono rear channel (no LFE).

Back