• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Help! - Movie has stopped playing

phcjpp

Hi Guys,

I have 3u and 1u servers and various M300/M500 players and M700 vaults.

For the longest time i have had Bee-Movie on there for the kids. They must have watched it 20 times. Now suddenly it has stopped playing and just stutters and stalls. Interestingly the same effect seems to happen when trying to play the blu-ray directly.

All other films work fine on the same player.

Any ideas ?

Ta
Chris

Interesting that other films are fine. Initially, I'd try deleting the film off of the Server and reimporting (delete completely, i.e. first to the trash, then empty the trash). Of course that doesn't address the fact that direct playback is an issue as well, but I'd still do that first, then test playback. If the Player has the same issue for both direct disc playback and Server playback, I'd look at networking (switch/router/connections, etc), but here again you have oddity in that "other" discs playback without issue.

I'd still try those, and of course, completely power down the Player (unplug from recepticle for 30 sec), power back up and try playback again (you might want to do this before deleting the content).

Start with that, and contact your dealer (or K support).

Jim

OK - deleted, ejected, trashed and now re-importing. Will report back.

And agreed - this is seriously weird.

Chris

Good luck!

If that doesn't work I'd have K look at the logs for your components to determine the likely cause. It is helpful to know the date and time the errors occurred, this helps K get to the specific problem reported in the logs.

Jim

I've also had stutter/stalls on movies that I successfully watched before. Try unplugging the player from the wall (powering off isn't good enough), and plugging it back in. It worked for me, and a few others I've chatted with. K support recommended this to me after I checked the network router, cables, HDMI cables, etc. When I unplugged the offending player, and watched through my vault instead, everything was fine, so I knew it wasn't the server.

Which server is the movie on and have you tried playing other movies back from that same server?

My initial reaction is the same as Jims- likely network.

Before you go and replace any equipment, Ive had a few times when I thought something was bad only to discover it was a wire that went bad. This has happened mostly with HDMI wires but a few times with network cables. It does happen though I don't see why but Im no engineer.

.......thought something was bad only to discover it was a wire that went bad. This has happened mostly with HDMI wires but a few times with network cables. It does happen though I don't see why but Im no engineer.

Good point Jerry, this is often overlooked. HDMI cables can "fail."

Jim

A common failure point for cables is the plug/socket interface. If possible I always try to ensure all cables are supported and no stress is put on the plug/socket interface.

Good cable management.... an often under appreciated area of endeavour.

Weirder and weirder. The Crestron guys that did all the installation actually gave me 2 players on the downstairs system (Denon HDMI amp + large Panny TV).

Bee movie won't work (stutters) on the normal player but works fine on the second.

The 'normal' player is local straight into the amp whereas the second comes over crestron digital connection.

The normal players plays all other films perfectly well.

Thoughts ?

Ta
C

A normal player is a M300/M500?

At the moment some of your players are connected via a traditional wired Cat5/6 network and some players are utilising a Crestron Digital (Media?) system. Is this correct?

The Bee movie is OK using Crestron connected players but not your Cat5/6 connected players?

Network / switch problem?

Yep that's it.
The normal is M300 and the Crestron Digital Media is a M500.
The M300 is via a Cisco gigabit cat5 connected switch just for K stuff (all K and only K connected to same switch). Everything is wired point to point from the switch.

You would guess network switch but then all the other movies on the M300 play fine.

Chris

I have reported a similar issue to this to Kaleidescape Support. They have been able to replicate it in Sunnyvale, the system logs do not capture anything useful that might account for the behavior. The issue is content specific. It is now being investigated by Kaleidescape Engineering in Canada.

Yep that's it.
...You would guess network switch but then all the other movies on the M300 play fine.

You all probably know this anyway, but a player can be connected directly to a server to help isolate a switch as being the problem. You are of course then limited to using the IR remote to control the player in this configuration.

Chris -- have you unplugged the player and cycled the power? I had exactly the same issue and solved it this way.

Tony

Hi Guys,

Just had it happen again - on ponyo this time. Again its pretty clear it is content specific and also something to do perhaps with my network. I will try a reboot as tony suggest to see if it clears it. Its very repeatable (as it depends on the content only - some films are fine). Perhaps a bandwidth issue ?

Chris

?...Perhaps a bandwidth issue ?

I wouldn't have thought so. BR playback only uses about 20% of the bandwidth of the port on a gig switch. Are you using a managed switch? If so open up the web UI for the switch and check whether flood control is enabled. If not, enable it and see if that has any effect. Also try connecting the player direct to the server (as I suggested earlier) which will bypass all your network hardware.

Could the drive(s) in the server the movies reside on be just starting to fail? (shot in the dark question).

Dont think so Jerry as it plays perfectly on the other player. Unfortunately its not easy for me to rewire the suspect player to remove th switch - will be trying the old on/off tonight though!

Chris

Based on the issue, I was pretty certain that I had problems with a hard drive. A networking/router or cabling issue would not explain why this only happened on certain movies and not others, that it occurred with movies which had been watched in the past without issue, and it was 100% repeatable.

The final troubleshooting step that I took was the clincher -- I unplugged the offending M500's ethernet and HDMI cables from the back of the unit but I left the other ends hooked up to the same router port and HDMI port on my processor. I re-plugged them into the back of my M700 and the offending movies worked like a charm -- I couldn't believe it.

Once I removed/restored power from the M500 by unplugging the power cord from the back, it was all-good. The only thing that I can think of that would explain this is maybe the player maintains some kind of internal memory/meta data about movies that have been watched, and somehow it got corrupted, and removing the power reset the temp memory. Dunno.

The same thing happened to BigHat (Matt) and he solved it the same way. "Weird" is right!

Back