• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HD Titles

mawilla

Does anyone know if Kscape are going to release an HD collection Disk? You can buy collections such as "best films of all time" etc from them, but it would be nice, now that there is a lot of HD software available to add these to our servers.

Haven't heard anything officially yet, but I heard a rumor that there might be a small number of new HD titles available soon. Not movies yet, alas...
I'll try to find out details if this is true, and if so, will it be done with transfer disks like in the past.

--josh

For movies, it isn't as easy as getting a transfer disk. A lot of the HD movies now out on Blu-ray and HD-DVD are encoded in VC1, not MPEG2. All the current K-Players can only play MPEG2 (SD or HD). My guess is that we're going to have to wait until a new K-Player for watching HD movies.

Hey Paul,

You're right, but Kscape has acquired some more HD titles, similar to the Kalahari series that can be distributed by transport disks. Not movies. I'll try to get more details and see if I can post them. The issue isn't playback, it's on the permitted storage formats - codec and DRM. So movies will probably need new hardware throughout for the reason stated... but other nice HD titles might get distributed via transport disk or maybe even via downloads someday.

While that is true about the new CODECs, MPEG2 is a fully supported CODEC of at least one of the new disc formats and several films have come out on BluRay in MPEG2 so its possible that there are MPEG2 transfers done already. Btw- this also does not address the audio side- would we want the new lossless movie soundtracks too and if yes, how to get them digitally over to our processors.

I would be interested in buying HD movies via transport disc as I think the new disc formats are not going to be consumer successes.

best regards,
Jerry

I agree with JerryL, I would be prepared to pay for movies through a Transport disk. I was told recently that there isn't a plan for an HD Collection as the current players don't play BluRay or HD-DVD and is still an unapproved format and when the collections are bought from Kscape you actually buy the DVDs and put them on yourself, I was always under the impression that they provide a hard drive with the content pre loaded.

Back