• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Hard Drives

L14MDP

Out of interest would anyone know if working 6TB hard drives for a K-Server would work in any of the Tera Servers? I would assume not, but thought I would ask.

They will not. Premiere drives are not compatible with Encore servers.
Can you clarify the naming of the current lineup? I remember “Encore“ was the lineup name at launch. Later “Encore“ was removed and now they are called Strato C and Terra Prime systems. I am confused :)

As you know, the original Kaleidescape product line consisted of a 5U Server, a Player (no optical drive), and a KREADER with an optical drive for importing DVD content. That was the basic system. Over the years, K added several new products to that system (Speed Readers, Servers (3U/1U/1U+), upgraded Players, Vaults).

When the decision was made to start the transition to "digital" support, new products were needed, not only because of the changing technology, but because of contractual requirements with content owners to allow persistent copies to be stored in Servers. These new products were designed to only support the newly opened K Store, and the first product released for that purpose was the Alto Player (fun side note, I own the first Alto released for sale (serial# 0001)), followed later by Players (Strato) and Servers (Terra) that supported 4K. Over time K was able to integrate their Vaults with the Alto/Strato's to add the additional capability of physical disc playback in those systems, for owners that desired that capability.

At some point in this transition process K started to identify all of the first product line as "Premiere" products, and the newer product line as "Encore" products (consisting of Alto, Strato, and Terra products). The use of "Encore" for identifying the newer line in their product marketing was eventually dropped and K started referring to these new products as "Strato" and "Terra," (they dropped Alto as a product because it didn't support 4K). To this day, many of us still use the term Encore when referring to the Strato and Terra products.

Premiere and Encore products remain completely separate lines, with exception to the Vault integration mentioned earlier, and the use of Co-Star to see a unified on-screen guide of content owned on both systems. The drives used in these two systems are not interchangeable. As to why that's the case, I believe on some level it's related to the business model changes that recognize the move away from disc based content, and eventual discontinuance of the Premiere line, along with design differences between the two lines.

Premiere Line:
5U Server
3U Server
1U Server
1U+ Server
KPLAYERS (2500, 5000, etc.)
M-Class Players (M500, M300, M700 (Vault/Player)
Vaults (DV700 and M700)
Readers (single optical drive, and multi-disc Speed Readers)
KMUSIC-4000 (Music Player)

Encore Line:
Alto Player
Strato (Player: with and without storage)
Strato-S (Player with storage)
Strato-C (Player only)
Terra Servers (Full sized and Compact)

Jim

Disclaimer: The above info is MY take on this subject based on my experience as an owner and dealer over the years, going back to when K opened for business. My statements are in no way intended to speak to K's motivation for some of the changes that occurred over the years, nor to their actual business model, or future plans.

Last edited:
@Substance, I know you know all that, I posted mainly for the newer owners.

Jim

Back