• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Halo Touch vs Non-Touch

Hm. That is discouraging. On my 250s, since it has no custom buttons, I have set up the colored buttons to go to my four most-used sources if the room is off. That means that it's one button press without even picking up the remote to get to Kaleidescape, Apple TV, etc.

I'm thinking of getting the Halo Touch. Is the Custom Buttons Agent available for end users to use, or only on the dealer Composer Pro software?

I have decided to sell my 3 x Halo Touch. They are 3 months old with very little use and boxed. If anyone in the UK is interested let me know.

Personally, I am not a fan of either. I am a dealer of C4 and am cannot believe this is the new gen after waiting several years. The Neo was absolutely terrible and now these.

Halo
  • The network bug still exists and is very frustrating when it will not connect.
  • Why they went with a button to toggle the coloured custom buttons is a mystery, lazy design.
  • Other than the Voice Command, I honestly see nothing about this remote that is better than the good ol' SR260
Halo Touch
  • Oh my, where do I start...
  • The network bug still exists and is very frustrating when it will not connect
  • NO custom buttons
  • Cannot access the coloured buttons unless you initiate a Watch/Listen selection. Who beta tests this stuff? Custom Buttons are a must in homes where a lot of automation occurs. We need more, not less. So, in my home, where I programmed the "Red" Button to Toggle my Shade in my Office (Quickly), I now have to select a source first to have the buttons as an option. So, what used to be a 1 button press, is now a multiple button press and I have to turn my system on to close my shade.
  • If you are still using a Cable Box, STAY AWAY, it is a terrible experience.
Clearly, the designers and testers of these fine remotes either do not own systems or they live in a 500 square foot apartment where they have a TV and an Apple TV as a source.

I could go on and on...

Curious why the Nate for the NEEO. I had it pre-C4 and it was great. It was bricked by a FW update the same morning they sent the email they were selling out to C4. Wondering what specifically C4 screwed up about it.

As I see it, it really comes down to how robust your system is and how much functionality you crave.

Many (most) rural clients have Satellite TV, so any remote that does not have a numeric keypad is not going to serve this source well.

In my situation, I have a fairly large automated system which includes multiple TV & Audio Zones, lighting, shades, HVAC and so on. I require custom "quick" buttons that offer instant access to control. Having to do 7 button presses to select a light in my Office seems like we are going backwards in functionality. Neither the Neo or the Touch offer this functionality.

Is the Halo Touch pretty? For sure, but I need my remote to offer full functionality, and functionality trumps all when it comes to remotes.

I have no idea why they just didn't make 1 new Touch remote with buttons. This would have made everyone happy and there would be no debate.

Personally, I am not a fan of either. I am a dealer of C4 and am cannot believe this is the new gen after waiting several years. The Neo was absolutely terrible and now these.

Halo
  • The network bug still exists and is very frustrating when it will not connect.
  • Why they went with a button to toggle the coloured custom buttons is a mystery, lazy design.
  • Other than the Voice Command, I honestly see nothing about this remote that is better than the good ol' SR260
Halo Touch
  • Oh my, where do I start...
  • The network bug still exists and is very frustrating when it will not connect
  • NO custom buttons
  • Cannot access the coloured buttons unless you initiate a Watch/Listen selection. Who beta tests this stuff? Custom Buttons are a must in homes where a lot of automation occurs. We need more, not less. So, in my home, where I programmed the "Red" Button to Toggle my Shade in my Office (Quickly), I now have to select a source first to have the buttons as an option. So, what used to be a 1 button press, is now a multiple button press and I have to turn my system on to close my shade.
  • If you are still using a Cable Box, STAY AWAY, it is a terrible experience.
Clearly, the designers and testers of these fine remotes either do not own systems or they live in a 500 square foot apartment where they have a TV and an Apple TV as a source.

I could go on and on...

I just wanted to confirm I’m understanding you… What do you mean by “no custom buttons”? I’m still using a Pronto TSU9400, which is totally customizable, so I’m not sure what you mean by no custom buttons. Is the user interface pretty much what the developer for a device created and we can’t customize the user interface using Composer?

The Halo Tactile (the one with the non-touch interface and with a numeric keypad) has 3 assignable hard buttons that will display the label for the function at the bottom of the display just above the top row of 3 hard buttons. In addition, four "Custom Buttons" icons allowing up to 6 functions per Custom Button per room can be displayed under "Watch" choices on the Halo Tactile and Touch. On the Touch, they can be "favorited" to the Home Screen for the room. This is with the most recently pushed software update. All of this can be done with Composer Home Edition.

Wow, the Pronto TSU9400. Well my friend, you are correct, you have FULL customization.

C4 remotes are more"locked down" so to speak.

With the Pronto, you are able to create a button and program it to do whatever you want. You can even determine what page you want the button to reside.

With C4, they have physical hard buttons. On the SR260 & Halo, you have 7, on the Neo & Touch, you have NONE.

You also have the ability to create Custom Buttons in the Custom Button section, but to access them, you need to navigate to them (which sucks).

C4 is a great system, but their remotes cannot and do not compare to the customization that is capable with the likes of URC or RTI.

C4 is a great system, but their remotes cannot and do not compare to the customization that is capable with the likes of URC or RTI.
Different concept.
That´s what i like about Crestron: i can still chose between Crestron Home (locked down GUI design) and Crestron Custom (fully customizable GUI design) depending on the requirements of the project/client.
We just recently switched a cinema room from Crestron Home to Custom because Crestron Home couldn´t cope with the complexity of the system and the additional functionality the client requested to control the room/system.

On the SR260 & Halo, you have 7, on the Neo & Touch, you have NONE.

How about the HALO's hard buttons (cursor keys, volume, mute, transport keys, etc.)? I assume they come pre-assigned with the commands that the driver developer assigned to them. But the end user can decide to overwrite what these buttons do using Compiser?

The Halo Tactile (the one with the non-touch interface and with a numeric keypad) has 3 assignable hard buttons that will display the label for the function at the bottom of the display just above the top row of 3 hard buttons. In addition, four "Custom Buttons" icons allowing up to 6 functions per Custom Button per room can be displayed under "Watch" choices on the Halo Tactile and Touch. On the Touch, they can be "favorited" to the Home Screen for the room. This is with the most recently pushed software update. All of this can be done with Composer Home Edition.
How does one get the most recent software? Does this require the dealer? I do have Composer Home. Thanks!

How does one get the most recent software? Does this require the dealer? I do have Composer Home. Thanks!
THe Halo software updates are pushed automatically to the device. The version will show up in the Properties pane for the device in Composer Home Edition.

Back