• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Google TV

AnOutsider

Not about kscape, but indirectly related. Right now the capabilities look to annihilate Apple TV and rival (and probably eclipse) the new Tivo Premiere, but with this OS running Android and syncing with phones and such I can see this encroaching into K territory.

Out the gate you know there will be apps that will sync with pcs to play music (in fact, a similar app was announced for the new Froyo release of Android that plays music on your phone from any of your PCs), and with video so well-integrated I can see this thing being a hit.

Widespread adoption could mean peripherals like a media server that can store content (downloaded from the web or imported from DVD perhaps) and serve it up to any Android-powered device on your network. From there, how long until widespread adoption prompts installers to start using it in system setups?

I don't see Google touching K on the interface bit (Google always seems to do lackluster interfaces - see Android), but if they offer a cost-effective solution to do things like video download and storage, music servers etc and have it all integrated with their large portfolio of devices (from phones to mini tablets, to the tablets we know are coming), then I could see them not so much competing, but definitely operating in the same space.

I think K may remain for high end users, but Google will hit the mainstream and win over everyone else, possibly even further shoving K into the "for rich idiots" pigeonhole.

*edit* some links:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/sony-internet-tv-platform-is-first-with-google-tv-dish-adobe-and/
http://mashable.com/2010/05/20/google-reveals-android-2-2-and-more-live/

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diTpeYoqAhc"]YouTube- Introducing Google TV[/nomedia]

........."for rich idiots" pigeonhole.

Thanks for the info and links, but what's up with that comment? (I don't think K's target market consider themselves to be "idiots" (although my wife may differ when discussing me.:))

Jim

Well if you ever see mention of kscape on message boards and blog posts, that's generally the consensus:

"I could do that and more with a HTPC setup for a fraction of the cost. Only people with more money than brains would pay $X for Y"

While I don't agree with it all, naturally, some of it does hold truth. There's no denying that there's a huge upfront cost of ownership and a large markup on K's products you purchase during ownership -- but for the most part, it's usually worth it as you get a very high level of service and functionality here (usually anyways)

heh, misinformed, but can ya blame them? From the outside they just see people paying enormous amounts for the same functionality they have, just in a pretty package.

I stick by my assessment. They judge not understanding that they are not getting the same functionality as kaliedescape.

You could make that point stick to anyone who uses anything more than the basic version of anything:

luxury car vs economy car- both get you there
luxury hotel room vs basic- both provide the same basic function
etc

Yet the luxury market exists because people like a more comfortable ride with more doo dads or a nicer hotel room...

Most critics are just trying to make themselves better.

Back