• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Game of Thrones in 4K?

I bought The Great Escape in June for $14.99. The UHD version just came out. It's $21.54 to upgrade.

I’ve also seen “upgrade pricing” like this and it is stupid. I know it is mainly the studios that control the price, but it easily deters me from upgrading these titles

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a hard sell to buy HD content on the platform, assuming a lot of stuff will find release in 4K eventually. Buying HD and having it upgrade doesn't really work out well for pricing in a lot of cases. I pretty much only buy 4K stuff, except for rare occassions.

So $36.53 in total if you buy HD first and “upgrade” to 4K.

Or, $24.99 to buy directly which includes both HD and 4K versions anyways?

So is K basically saying to their customers never buy HD with this silly pricing model? Why would they not just charge $10 to upgrade to net out the same cost?

It's a hard sell to buy HD content on the platform, assuming a lot of stuff will find release in 4K eventually. Buying HD and having it upgrade doesn't really work out well for pricing in a lot of cases. I pretty much only buy 4K stuff, except for rare occassions.
Not only do I filter K purchases for 4K only, I am also VERY hesitant to purchase anything that does not also include an ATMOS mix. I will consider it (buying that which lacks ATMOS) if the price is right, such as the XMen bundle pricing recently.

I did not realize upgrading from HD to 4K meant pretty much paying full price twice. I now regret buying a bunch of HDs that I presume will make it to 4K soon (quite a few of them are out on 4K disc.) Bummer.

I did not realize upgrading from HD to 4K meant pretty much paying full price twice. I now regret buying a bunch of HDs that I presume will make it to 4K soon (quite a few of them are out on 4K disc.) Bummer.
As far as upgrade pricing, as others have mentioned, it often depends on the studio. I've noticed HD Digital to UHD Digital upgrade pricing seems to mirror Disk to Digital upgrade pricing.. MGM (Which who did The Great Escape) gives the least discount followed closely by Disney usually charging $21-$25. On the other end of the spectrum are Sony, Paramount, NBC Universal, Warner Brothers Discovery, who often charge less then $5 to upgrade from HD to UHD. The other studios are usually in the middle in the $10-$15 range.

YMMV on this, but if you are thinking of buying the HD version with the possibility of a UHD version in the future, I would consider the studio when deciding.

True… upgrade pricing definitely varies from studio to studio. Some make you feel like a valued customer while others like to just kick you in the balls

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other end of the spectrum are Sony, Paramount, NBC Universal, Warner Brothers Discovery, who often charge less then $5 to upgrade from HD to UHD.
I wouldn't include Paramount. They started there, but broke camp almost two years ago. Titles may eventually make it back down there but it's getting a lot spottier & longer of a trek. Sets a bad example for Universal & Discovery.

Back