• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Friday Night Lights TV series (in SD only?)

gadgetman

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
After holding off with hopes for a HD version, I finally purchased the 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights in SD. But, it seems curious since the Blu-ray series was released back in 2020 and, I believe, before that, a higher-def DVD version. I know there are plenty of instances where HDR or UHD (or Atmos) is not available on the K-Store even when streamers have such versions, but the absence of HD on this series strikes me as odd. Anyone have a clue why this might be the case?

There are many TV shows and movies in SD only in the store while Blu-ray disc versions are out there.

FNL Blu-ray seasons were released from Mill Creek which is known to have subpar transfers. Matter of fact these Blu-rays have lossy audio only. Furthermore, this show was shot on 16mm. Although 16mm can yield 2K-ish resolution in digital, it is granny and not as sharp as 35mm or direct digital transfers. I would expect marginal improvement on the Blu-ray disc version on picture quality and probably worse audio quality than the K’s digital version.

Thanks so much for your reply and insight. The reviews I read of the Blu-ray disc set were not bad, but it's helpful to understand the potential reason that K-Scape has not provided the HD version.

There are many TV shows and movies in SD only in the store while Blu-ray disc versions are out there.

FNL Blu-ray seasons were released from Mill Creek which is known to have subpar transfers. Matter of fact these Blu-rays have lossy audio only. Furthermore, this show was shot on 16mm. Although 16mm can yield 2K-ish resolution in digital, it is granny and not as sharp as 35mm or direct digital transfers. I would expect marginal improvement on the Blu-ray disc version on picture quality and probably worse audio quality than the K’s digital version.
Just curious, why do you think the audio quality would be worse? SD download digital audio on K is lossy as well. It’s most likely the exact same encode as the DVD/what K has on the store audio wise.

I own the FNL blu-rays, and it’s definitely grainy due to the 16mm, but still a noticeable improvement over the DVDs (and what K has) IMO.

Just curious, why do you think the audio quality would be worse? SD download digital audio on K is lossy as well. It’s most likely the exact same encode as the DVD/what K has on the store audio wise.

I own the FNL blu-rays, and it’s definitely grainy due to the 16mm, but still a noticeable improvement over the DVDs (and what K has) IMO.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear on the audio. On the technical merits, you are correct, they are equal. I said worse because of Mill Creek’s track record of messing up multichannel encodes. You can usually confirm this if the surround channels are almost always active and the front channel information is leaking into them. This isn’t always the case. If it sounds right to you, they probably got the soundtracks right.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on the audio. On the technical merits, you are correct, they are equal. I said worse because of Mill Creek’s track record of messing up multichannel encodes. You can usually confirm this if the surround channels are almost always active and the front channel information is leaking into them. This isn’t always the case. If it sounds right to you, they probably got the soundtracks right.

Ah interesting! Wasn’t aware they had an issue with multi-channel encodes, can’t say I’ve noticed that with FNL, but I’m really curious how they mess some of them up like that lol. Good to know though, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah interesting! Wasn’t aware they had an issue with multi-channel encodes, can’t say I’ve noticed that with FNL, but I’m really curious how they mess some of them up like that lol. Good to know though, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure either. I can only speculate. I know in the early days of DTS this was done on purpose. For instance the first DTS DVD of Jurassic Park had the surround channels boosted by 3-6db. Having discreet rear speakers was a new thing. Everyone wanted more sound to come from them. In other words we didn't know any better :)

Here's another curiosity: Animal Kingdom Seasons 1-2 in HD; Seasons 3-6 only in SD. Can't think of a rational explanation for this.

Back