• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Fox Titles Available in K Store

Nabs17

I received an e-mail today saying Fox is now available in the K-Store. I haven't browsed just yet but this is good news.

Anyone else receive the notification?

i think it is good to have a thread that alerts people to Fox being added. Some people just skim the thread titles for anything new that they are interested in.

Everyone should be interested that a new studio has been added!

John

Yup, took awhile, but it's here. I'll probably merge these two threads shortly.

Jim

Quite a bit of DreamWorks in the mix is a nice added touch. Now we can move to the continued wait for extras to get marked (and the other two-thirds of my collection by Fox that isn't available for D2D.)

That leads me to a question. Is Fox already on board, on the K Store, with the UltraViolet program? I have some Fox movies on VUDU, and they show as being UV. Those same movies do not show up as ready for download from the Store. Since VUDU and K are both participants with UV, I was thinking that they'd be available for download. Is that a future thing? Or is it part of some Disney-esque agreement to get us to buy the same movie several times?

Just for kicks, I did look, and not a single 20th Century Fox/Searchlight movie shows as ready to download, at least for me. I did get excited and buy The Martian, and not to be a downer, but it's not Atmos, which was a disappointment.

Please don't mistake this for a lack of enthusiasm that Fox properties are in the store. I am really happy about it, and can't wait for Paramount. I just can't shake the feeling that there is a "but" at the end of my happy thought bubble.

See the thread in the "store" forum. No UV coming for Fox. No DVD quality coming, either, so no D2D upgrades for those. Your spidey-senses were correct on the "but"....

--Donnie

The no-DVD thing I am fine with, but no UV alliance, when Fox is clearly part of that already, is a real bummer. That's almost as bad as Disney, except Fox still "allows" us to copy DVDs onto our Premiere systems, at least for those of us who are legacy owners. I guess I still see that as a silver lining, but damn.

Please keep in mind that Fox just entered the Store. I think we should focus on the positive aspect of their addition to the Store and allow these other issues to resolve over time. Personally, I glad to see Fox in the Store, they have some of the best content available.

Jim

Well, Jim, I totally agree, and as I hope you gathered from my comments, I am very happy to see them. They are a very welcome addition.

I do feel that it's fair to be slightly disappointed about the current Fox/UV situation, if it is, in fact, as dj has referenced. If they are just not done tying it together yet, that's wonderful, and I think a press release, or at the very least an e-mail to existing owners, relating the future prospects of Fox and UV on the K Store would be welcomed with open inboxes.

Again, not looking the gift Fox in the mouth, but the trend for the latest studios that were added (Disney and Fox) is a little disconcerting, and if that's not really what's going on behind the scenes, I think communicating the upcoming good news would be an excellent idea. It would eliminate the FUD, and doesn't really force them into announcing something that would compromise their integrity, like releasing info about Paramount before it's available, for example.

Cinelife, I get what u are saying regarding focusing on the positives. But at the end of the day, K and the movie studios like Fox are running a business. And we the paying customers need to express that we are unhappy with these silly half baked solutions. No one is doing us a favor. We are paying a premium price for our K systems. Sorry, don't want to come across as being confrontational, but it upsets me that the movie studios want to penalize the one group of consumers that are paying a premium price for their products

I second what hifiguy1 is saying regarding a press release or maybe dropping a note to the owners of K systems that they are still working on securing UV rights would be a step in the right direction

Please keep in mind that Fox just entered the Store. I think we should focus on the positive aspect of their addition to the Store and allow these other issues to resolve over time. Personally, I glad to see Fox in the Store, they have some of the best content available.

Hmm. Seems like maybe there's a chance Fox will become UV enabled in the future based on this AND the fact that someone has edited their post(s) in the other thread. Or maybe I misread, but I could *swear* the comments seemed MUCH more damning over there on the potential for UV enabled Fox content.

I'd love to know if this is actually still possible. I'd also love to know if DVD quality versions of that content (where available) are coming or if this is the beginning of the end for SD-quality content in the store. I predicted this would happen and people said "no way, not any time real soon" not very long ago. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm starting to fear...

--Donnie

Jim

Sorry, but just being in the store isn't good enough. No UV? No special features? Those are deal killers for me. I'm not going to pay twice for movies I already own. It's so easy to please consumers yet these companies just don't get it.

Cinelife, I get what u are saying regarding focusing on the positives. But at the end of the day, K and the movie studios like Fox are running a business. And we the paying customers need to express that we are unhappy with these silly half baked solutions. No one is doing us a favor. We are paying a premium price for our K systems. Sorry, don't want to come across as being confrontational, but it upsets me that the movie studios want to penalize the one group of consumers that are paying a premium price for their products

First, you're not confrontational, you're expressing your feelings, and I agree that we have come to expect UV support from Studio's that support UV and are in the Store, and hopefully at some future point Fox and K will work out details for UV access.

I do not think for a second that Fox is penalizing anyone, and certainly not K (and of course what we expensed for our K systems is of no concern to a studio), they make business decisions like any company, and we do not know, and never will know, what factor's affect those decisions.

I for one remain hopeful that UV will become available at some future point, and for now, I'm just glad they're in the Store.

Jim

Sorry, but just being in the store isn't good enough. No UV? No special features? Those are deal killers for me. I'm not going to pay twice for movies I already own. It's so easy to please consumers yet these companies just don't get it.

Understood, and you're not alone on the "deal killer" feelings, I've heard that from a couple of people, but most of those I'm in contact with have been purchasing Fox in the Store.

Jim

Not wild about the 1.99 charge without gaining UV rights, but I'll say this: in two days I've dropped about 100 bucks adding my Fox titles to my system. Whereas I have not spent a single dime on Disney in the K store, nor will I until they stop trying to charge me full price for something I've already bought.

Back