• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Forum Transition for 2016

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
As many of you know, I started this forum as a way to just meet some other Kaleidescape owners and share tips and thoughts on the gear. I'm not a dealer, installer, or Kaleidescape employee... just a regular guy that likes home theater and decided to see if there were other Kaleidescape owners out there who wanted to chat.

The forum is, remarkably, approaching it's 10-year anniversary. Hard to believe, but it was started in May of 2006 with just 3 or 4 of us who posted ideas, shared favorite scene files & scripts (remember those?) and chatted about Kaleidescape news and equipment.
KOF Trivia #1:
The first two users to register were Phil Trubey, on May 30, 2006, and Mr.Poindexter, on June 2, 2006, both of whom remain active with us to this day. They're among the group I first approached to see if they had interest in such a forum.

It all started with this post over on AVS Forum in April, 2006.​
At this point, it's a small but healthy community, with about 2,000 total registered members. 18,000 posts, and about 40,000 unique visitors each month, the vast majority of whom stay anonymous here as "guest" visitors.

I've been lucky to have Jim "Cinelife" Goodrich (member #16! :) ) who has been there from nearly the beginning and is by far the most prolific member here, posting thousands of message to help people out and share his deep knowledge. I was smart enough years ago to make Jim a Moderator on the forum and then an Administrator to help out with the duties here. Jim is not only a huge enthusiast, but he's a Kaleidescape dealer and has connections to many Kaleidescape executives as well as many owners and industry people. Jim puts in a ton of time to answer everyone's questions, interface with Kaleidescape, and help out here on the forum. Any visitor here would be forgiven for assuming it's Jim's forum... after all he's posted the most, logs in the most, answered the most PMs, and shares the most knowledge here. Many may not be aware of how much he does behind the scenes, helping out users by phone, email, and in person, all at his own expense.
KOF Trivia #2:
Kaleidescape Owners' Forum - Most Prolific Members, by post count, as of 1/5/16:
  1. Cinelife (naturally!): 2,526
  2. JerryL: 1,630
  3. Josh: 1,053
  4. Mr.Poindexter: 894
  5. JohnJ: 687
  6. brodricj: 621
Running the board takes a lot of time and effort, and lately I'm finding that I'd rather use my precious spare time on other hobbies, travel, and interests. Fortunately, Jim has increasing enthusiasm for this community at a time when mine is somewhat diminishing, and he's agreed to officially take over the "ownership" and running of the forum going forward. This will be great for all of us. Jim's got great ideas of how he'd like to improve the forum and has so much passion for the brand, the company, and the forum, that we'll all benefit from his leadership here.

I'm certainly not going anywhere... I plan to stay an active member, helping moderate and administer the site, and will be helping jim out on the complexities of running the vbulletin system and hosting the service. But I'm looking forward to my K.O.F. "semi-retirement" and having Jim think through ways to make the forum even more helpful and well organized.

Looking forward to a great 2016 and for seeing the continued evolution of this little enthusiast community for it's second decade!

Thanks again to Jim, and to everyone here who has helped out and supported the forum with time, posts & content, donations, and suggestions.

--josh
KOF Trivia #3:
Think the site's logo and header are ugly now? Check out how the forum looked back in 2006! :eek: :eek:
But, uh, yeah, the rest of the site looks EXACTLY the same, just with far lower post counts! :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah, i know..."TL;DR" on that post above.
OK, here's the short version:
  • The Kaleidescape Owners' Forum is almost 10 years old.
  • I'm tired.
  • Jim "Cinelife" is going to take over the running of the forum.
  • That'll be great for all of us - he knows what's he's talking about, contributes a ton here, and has good ideas how to improve things.
  • I'll still be around to help out.
--josh

Last edited:
Josh
While not a prolific poster, I have found this forum invaluable over the past few years. Many thanks for all your hard work in establishing and maintaining it. And I cannot think of a better person than Jim for taking it on going forward.
Best
J

Thanks Josh and Jim

Josh:

Thanks for all your efforts in creating and nurturing these forums; they are clearly appreciated by the many readers and posters.

We also can't wait to see what Jim will do as he steps up to an even deeper level of involvement here.

To a great 2016.

Without Josh, I doubt we would have ever had a K owner's forum, so my first thought is to obviously thank Josh, not only for the forum's foundation, and funding over the years, but for the many, many hours dedicated to the forum's operation and support of it's members.

It's funny, my only face to face meeting with my friend Josh lasted 10 minutes and took place outside an elevator in Vegas during the first CES after the forum's founding, but it was easy to see even then that he was incredible individual. When we parted ways to attend various functions at CES, my wife (with me at the time) asked me what I thought of Josh, and I replied "great guy." Little did I know at the time that those words fell short in describing Josh, but I learned over the years that he is far more, and one of the few people I've met in this world that I actually admire, and I'm thrilled to count him among my friends.

Fortunately, Josh will continue to contribute to "his" forum, and I'm very grateful for the time he has been sharing with me as we make this transition.

Thank you my friend!

Jim

Josh and Jim,
Thank you both for your vision and energy. You have added to the enjoyment of Kaleidescape and home electronics/theater in general. I'm grateful to both of you and will continue to be so. I agree we are in good hands with Jim stepping up. Happy 2016 everyone!

Josh,

Thanks for all you have done for this site over the years. It has been a source of a lot of knowledge about Kaleidescape for me and also a source of a lot of enjoyment!

Jim,

Thanks for agreeing to take over for Josh. If you need any help with anything in the future please let me know.

John

Awesome to see a torch being passed.

Basically, we will have two parallel owners moving forward for the time being, until an update in which one admin can access both his own content and the content of the semi-retired but still functioning admin. You are welcome to email either, unless you want to watch movies from Disney, in which case you must agree that you will only contact Josh via telegraph for the rest of your life and this agreement will be binding on any and all people who move into your house even after you sell it and move.

Wait, maybe I am confused and mixing up details of one transition with another.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I get a lot of knowledge and enjoyment (yeah, my wife doesn't understand that either) from running the forum and being a part of the group.

It's funny, my only face to face meeting with my friend Josh lasted 10 minutes and took place outside an elevator in Vegas during the first CES after the forum's founding, but it was easy to see even then that he was incredible individual. When we parted ways to attend various functions at CES, my wife (with me at the time) asked me what I thought of Josh, and I replied "great guy." Little did I know at the time that those words fell short in describing Josh, but I learned over the years that he is far more, and one of the few people I've met in this world that I actually admire, and I'm thrilled to count him among my friends.
Wow - humbled by those words... yes that is funny that we've only met in person once after all these years working together. You've done so much for the forum, but also for me personally. Thank YOU!
Basically, we will have two parallel owners moving forward for the time being, until an update in which one admin can access both his own content and the content of the semi-retired but still functioning admin. You are welcome to email either, unless you want to watch movies from Disney, in which case you must agree that you will only contact Josh via telegraph for the rest of your life and this agreement will be binding on any and all people who move into your house even after you sell it and move.

Wait, maybe I am confused and mixing up details of one transition with another.
Now that was funny! Have long enjoyed your contributions here and your sense of humor! Thanks Mike!

Last edited:
Amusing that one of our first and most prolific/enthusiastic members, Mr.Poindexter, was pretty lukewarm on the idea of a Kaleidescape board at first, saying there really isn't much to talk about since the system doesn't have many flaws. :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...0/667744-kaleidescape-owners.html#post7500818

Mr.Poindexter; said:
I would participate in a Kaleidescape forum, but there isn't a lot of need for one. Most times I see forums get a lot of traction is when there are bugs to report and issues to solve. Kaleidescape doesn't have many of those. Just look at all the threads on the Kenwood Entre system and see how many are related to problems - delete those and there is hardly any discussion on the system.

Well, I did say I would participate. The Kenwood Entre system is long gone though.

In 10 years, you might be able to dig up a forum thread where I stated I don't see the need for 10gbps network speeds for home use. (Somebody an the Blu-ray forum quoted my post so I couldn't delete it, lol)

At any rate, if Jim gets eaten by a shark after falling off his yacht, give me a holler. I am willing to take the reigns next.

Josh and Jim,

Thanks for all the time spent on this. Look forward to many more posts from both of you!

Josh,
I would like to thank you for the time you have put in on creating and maintaining the site. I know that getting into a system was a big step for me and I spent months talking to people on the site and looking for a used system. It's amazing how helpful everyone is on this forum. I wouldn't have bought without them. And I am so happy that I did. It has been so wonderful for our family and we've had to expand it quite a bit. I would also like to say a big thank you to Jim who answered so many of my questions. I haven't had many people take as much time to help me out when it doesn't benefit them like Jim has. He is amazing. It doesn't matter when it is or what he is doing. I have really grown to value his input, but I value him as a great guy even more. I know that you both put in a lot of work on this site. These things don't run themselves and people are always quick with a complaint, but slow with a compliment. Well, I would like to thank both of you so, so much. You have certainly touched my family's life over the last few years.
Chris

Josh and Jim, Thanks for all the time spent on this. Look forward to many more posts from both of you!
my pleasure! thanks for the note!

Josh,
I would like to thank you for the time you have put in on creating and maintaining the site. I know that getting into a system was a big step for me and I spent months talking to people on the site and looking for a used system. It's amazing how helpful everyone is on this forum. I wouldn't have bought without them. And I am so happy that I did. It has been so wonderful for our family and we've had to expand it quite a bit. I would also like to say a big thank you to Jim who answered so many of my questions. I haven't had many people take as much time to help me out when it doesn't benefit them like Jim has. He is amazing. It doesn't matter when it is or what he is doing. I have really grown to value his input, but I value him as a great guy even more. I know that you both put in a lot of work on this site. These things don't run themselves and people are always quick with a complaint, but slow with a compliment. Well, I would like to thank both of you so, so much. You have certainly touched my family's life over the last few years.
Chris
Thanks Chris, very nice of you. Glad you love your system. And there are LOTS of users who will echo your words about how helpful Jim has been.

Just wanted to say that the board has been invaluable to me. My interest in K began by reading about it years ago, and finding one at a nearby dealer. I bought the floor model as he was looking to get out of distribution, and my funds at the time being a resident were not so deep. Needless to say he was not very enthusiastic about the product.

I met Jim here on the forum and he has been nothing but an invaluable member to all of us. He personally helped me on more occasions than I can remember and I am proud to say he has become my friend.

So thank you Josh for starting this little endeavor and working hard to make it what it is.

My question is can Jim be on the board anymore than he already is?!! ;)

Yes, he can, he just has to give up the family, and Notre Dame football!:D

Thanks for the kind words Mike, but it's really you members that give the forum a life.

Jim

Thank you!

First of all, a big thanks to all who contribute to making this such a valuable source of information; it has helped me jump the gun on building my system.
I've actually been scooping up items every now and then over the past couple of years, as I don't have pockets deep enough for just ordering everything at the dealer :) And during that process, this forum has helped me navigate what to buy and what not to buy.

I'm mostly a lurker, usually only post when I feel can truly contribute, but I value the time and energy put in by other posters.

So thank you all, and special thanks to Josh.

One last thing is that I'm a software engineer/DevOps by trade, so though I would never take on the role as moderator, as I'm simply not cut out for that; I'd happily help with the technical side of running things, in case that is needed :)

Once again, thank you :)

Thank YOU Sirgadget! Very nice note, and thanks for your purchase of a Patron account! We're very glad you've gotten value from the forum and that it helps you enjoy your Kaleidescape gear even more.

Jim'(Cinelife) is the one that deserves all the thanks for the content and for helping all the members so much here.

Now that Jim is running things here, he may well take you up on the technical side of running the forum. I've had to learn to become proficient in Unix and the technical side of running the forum, and it's pretty daunting. Thanks for the offer!

Thanks again for your support of the forum and for helping offset the cost running it.

Best,
-josh

Back