• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Foreign Films/Animation - Anything to know?

justingn

I'm new here, and while not an owner of a K system yet (I'm eyeballing the C1, if they give me a way to back it up in the event of a disk failure), I do have a question that I couldn't find an answer to through search.

I'm a big fan of foreign films and series, from Doctor Who and Top Gear in the UK, to a wide breadth of animation from Japan, and several countries in between. The discs come from a wide variety of sources, too, in a variety of regions (though primarily Region 1/Region A). Do I have anything to be worried about metadata-wise if I import, say, the Japanese BD series of Ghost in the Shell SAC (JP 1080p60)? Or the 1080i50 version of Top Gear or Doctor Who? I'm mainly concerned with the K-system not grabbing metadata of those discs in question, but playback of non-US framerates (25/50fps and PAL/SECAM material) is equally important, not so much the Region Codes (I checked documentation, which mentions I can switch regions up to four times if needed - I can find my own way around region codes, so that isn't an issue).

Otherwise, is there anything else I need to know about how the K-system handles foreign material? Issues like: is it possible to set defaults for subtitles/language tracks across a TV series, can I add/edit metadata based on language tracks (voice actors in English vs Japanese), etc?

Shouldn't be a problem... the cover art and meta data should come through for most foreign titles, and for the few that don't you have the option of editing the data yourself or sending in the DVD to be added to the database. When it comes to region codes, however, there are issues to be aware of, most notably the "four region changes only" for the reader hardware. If you have more than one foreign region from which you constantly import, you'll hit that limit pretty quick unless you have more than one reader.

If you were just importing DVDs (not BR), a tip might be to watch for a Kaleidescape Reader (no longer produced, but still around) to come up on the marketplace. These change hands cheap as most people don't really need them, but I think they're fantastic. A spare machine that's sole job is to import disks anywhere on your network. If you have one of these in addition to your M-class player, you could leave the Reader set to the foreign region.

I'm curious why you'd buy blu-ray editions of foreign shows like Doctor Who. Do you really notice the quality of TV series to be so much higher that it's worth the extra space and the BR disc presence hassle-factor? I'd buy my foreign anime and old TV series on DVD personally.

I'm curious why you'd buy blu-ray editions of foreign shows like Doctor Who. Do you really notice the quality of TV series to be so much higher that it's worth the extra space and the BR disc presence hassle-factor? I'd buy my foreign anime and old TV series on DVD personally.

For most anime and series, I do stick with the best-mastered DVD version available. For the newer stuff though, or anime with a lot of hand-painted scenery on fine original source material, the BD version can be worth the upgrade. Case in point: FLCL, the re-release of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex TV Series (it was mastered for DVD from 1080p60 digital masters, so the BD version just uses those compressed to H.264), and the new Doctor Who/Top Gear series (I love the look of Series 6 with Matt Smith on BD, personally). Studio Ghibli films (Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle) are easily some of the best looking Blu-Rays on the market. Older series like Cowboy Bebop and Dragonball Z simply don't warrant the upgrade, though.

As for the Region Restrictions, I'm not too worried. Push comes to shove, I can likely duplicate the disk on my PC (region-free DVD/BD/HD-DVD drive) to rewrite-able media; I own the original version, but if switching regions becomes a frequent issue, it's a suitable, if time-consuming workaround. I love the idea of the K-Scape reader, but since my income/rent limits me to the newly-revamped Cinema Series, I don't think I'll be able to make much use of it I'm afraid.

You can set language (audio & subtitle) defaults, but personally I find the implementation a little oppressive.

When playing movies:
I prefer to hear movies in their original language. If that's not [English], show [English] subtitles.
I prefer to hear movies dubbed into [English] (no subtitles).

...which would probably be fine if it didn't [usually] go back to default when automatically moving between episodes. It seems to be worse on BDs, with up-to a second of skipping to black/menu in between. None does the same thing, but changes to whatever the disc defaults are set at.

You can set language (audio & subtitle) defaults, but personally I find the implementation a little oppressive.

...which would probably be fine if it didn't [usually] go back to default when automatically moving between episodes. It seems to be worse on BDs, with up-to a second of skipping to black/menu in between. None does the same thing, but changes to whatever the disc defaults are set at.

Dang, so it's system-wide and not specific to each series/movie? Ah well, a quick button press fixes that.

Not system-wide, the default is per player.

Ah, sorry, old IT habit of mine. Digging a little deeper: say I make a "Justin's Anime Series" collection, and edit the language options. If I access that Collection on another player, would my settings be preserved? Likewise, if someone navigates to a title contained in that collection (but without opening the collection specifically, like they opened the title from the master title listing or via search), do the settings go back to the player defaults instead?

Collections won't matter, just the player.

Though if you can think of a single-button solution to changing them, with all the variability of which subtitle and audio track is which, please pass it along.

Back