• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

For large volume premiere members wanting to upgrade/update to Encore systems

enadler

I have been a long-time Kscape user, but brand new to the forum. I am excited to begin to participate.

I have always been a high volume movie collector. As of last week, my premiere system contained two fully racked 3U servers, 5 fully loaded changers, and over 2600 movies in my collection (with a lot I have other side waiting for more storage). I am not sure how many other large volume users are in the kscape environment, but I presume I am not the only one.

For 2 years, I had been waiting for 2 things to happen prior to upgrading to the Encore/4k systems. (1) I was hoping that the storage capacity of the drives would increase from 6 TB, and (2) It was necessary for some system to combine the two systems into one interface.

Potential (or recent solutions)
(1) For the past month, there have been 10 TB drives available which would make a Terra 40 TB instead of only 24 TB which is a big big help
(2) It is clear that the potential solution of seamlessly and completely combining the two systems in not in the cards at this time. HOWEVER, IT MAYBE POSSIBLE TO HAVE ONE SEEMLESS INTERFACE THAT WOULD THEN SEND CODES TO OUR DEVICES (OR CONTROL MECHANISMS LIKE CRESTRON, CONTROL4, etc) TO INITIATE THE MOVIE. As far as I am concerned, that is a very reasonable compromise. As long as all of my movies appear in my iPad app (or whatever device you are using to control) and when selected it begins to play, I am happy. Yes it may take a second or two extra for those commands, but the seamless interface is what makes Kscape so special and combining premiere/encore systems would be the final piece to start my serious conversion to the new hardware

I wanted to gauge from the forum, how many other people would be willing to purchase and move forward with an Encore system if there was so combination between the two systems even if it was not quite a perfect as our prior updates had suggested. Given the environment and move toward streaming and downloading, it is hard to image Kscape delving huge resources into looking backward to make these two systems one. However, it maybe possible for them to make the two systems interface look like one which is a reasonable enough compromise to me to make the move.

PS. I actually acquired an Encore last week (via this forum) and it is amazing. I am very glad I made the move and will get a 40 TB Terra very soon. That being said, the system will not reach 5% of its potential until the movie interface is actually one single interface even if the mechanism of play involves message coding between the two systems to play

Please respond if this is intriguing to others and if this is something they would like to see. Our enthusiasm may make it happen.

Welcome to the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum!!!

In reading through your post I couldn't tell whether you are aware that Kaleidescape had proposed a plan to be able to view premiere content on the
Strato player (or just don't believe this is going to happen). If the former then hear are the details.

This proposal was sent to owners and dealers in December 2015 and details are listed in the link below.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/documentation/Premiere-to-Encore-Upgrade-Process-and-FAQs.pdf

Since K proposed this, they closed their doors and then opened again. So the details in the above proposal may no longer be accurate. However, Kaleidescape has said that this is still on their list of things they want to do. Also, since re-opening they have said that they will no longer comment on schedules or proposed release dates.

There has been talk (which I have not been able to confirm) that this is planned for sometime this year. If this happens then this fits my needs. If it doesn't then I may need another option like the one you suggest. However, I am the patient type so I am just waiting to see what happens.

John

John- I am aware and that is actually the reason for my post. Although that email went out in 12/15 and all of the financial issues have been straightened out, the proposed merge that was included in that email is so low on the priority list (for a number of reasons including studio copy right all over again like the DVD days) that it is essentially a non-started. It will not be happening within 12 months (or potentially longer). My post was to gauge interest in the alternative solution (because the full solution is not "right around the corner") and whether that would prompt people to expand there systems into the ENCORE or whether it is something the premiere people are really looking forward too. Resources for programming backdoor things are finite (as in any business) and if we can band together to make this an important issue, we maybe able to have the proposal I made performed in the near future. The formal one mentioned in 12/15 is not going to happen soon (and even near immediate future- i.e. few years).

That being said, I hope John you and others would love some ability to merge the two systems so we can browse, select, and view between the two systems even if they are not officially merged. This solution would not have the same copy right issues.

(1) For the past month, there have been 10 TB drives available which would make a Terra 40 TB instead of only 24 TB which is a big big help.

Are the 10TB drives available for the Terra? :confused: From all I've read and heard, the 8 and 10TB options are only available for the Strato...

From what I'm hearing is that the 8TB will only be available for the Strato only.
They will not offer an 8TB. drive for the premier line.
They will only have the 10TB. available for the premier line.

The iPad app can control volume to third party automation controllers all ready. Add support for two systems in the app and additional flags to tell the control system to switch inputs.

Hmm, might have to reach out to Chowmain. Their driver on c4 does have full movie listings like the iPad app. Wonder what it would take to add the ability to poll from two systems in one driver and auto switch accordingly.

Kevin D.

Again, the reasons for this post was simply to assess the wishes of other premiere users to migrate to the ENCORE system and then to stress the importance of some type of connected interface between them to help echo the importance of this to K-scape itself. For me, it is crucial and I would imagine others would feel the same. Again it would not be the fix that was communicated in Dec 2015, but one that I outlined above.

Also there is definitely a 40 TB Terra, it is on there website (24 tb and 40 tb sizes). This is really not the focus of the post.

Please if some type of fix between the two systems is important to you, please vocalize it. That is the reason for the post

But only for the 1U+ server. Correct?

John

Correct, and only for a new 1U, the 10TB's are not available as individual drive purchases to be added to an existing 1U. An upgrade promo is being discussed, but not finalized.

Jim

Given the amount of emails and phone calls I received because of this thread, I'm posting to clarify that I have nothing to do with the subject of this thread, and have no specific answer to the question, "Are we now not getting the promised integration?" (and variants of that question).

I was not part of the discussion at K, and have no idea what if anything is changing, so we'll have to wait for further word from K.

Jim

To further back up Jim's claim, I posted this initial forum discussion to try and assess and substantiate how important the integration is to the user base. Please respond with a "Yell Yeah." or maybe "We will buy a full ENCORE/TERRA system the second that feature is up and running" or "The integration is the most important thing we would like to see Kscape do."

Nobody has any idea, but the post was to try and impart to Kscape the importance of this feature to the user base. No one responded that it was.

Please comment on the thread about whether this is important to you and why. That is exactly why I started it. No one has a crystal ball, but if it is super important this may rise up the ladder of what Kscape is doing.

I am not going to push the Encore/Terra system into the existing customer base ecosystem until there is a unified system or integration that does not need one to figure out which server they would need to be on and flip inputs on their display to find the correct interface that has the movie they want.

I suspect there will be a lot of Encore/Terra business unleashed as soon as those systems can play display, catalog and play content from the Premier line seamlessly through the Encore player.

I am still not down with the HoM rules, so when I ever get around to 4k, something like this would be a better solution for managing the dual systems, but won't drive the decision.

To clarify, what I was trying to say yesterday, in my usual confusing longhand, is that I'm unaware of any issues at K regarding the planned integration. I've always been told an integration was being worked on, but never given details on what that would look like.

I think the members posting above have the right idea, just post your comments about the need for integration, how important is it for you, etc.

Jim

Also waiting for full integration before committing to encore/terra. The last we officially heard it was part of the plan. I'll wait until K says otherwise

I plan on waiting for integration and then I plan on buying a Terra and a few Strato's to add to the Premier equipment I already have. I think it's good for K to know that there is a lot of interest out there. I also like the spirit of this discussion for vetting interest in other options. If the full integration is proving difficult and has a long timetable for occurring, I might be interested in a short term solution that might not be as perfect as full integration. I think the hypothetical here is the following. If I could buy a Strato with the built in drive and put some 4K movies on there, then if the gui would show ALL of my movies on say one iPad app that would be great. I wouldn't mind having to have a Strato and also an M-class player in the same room. It wouldn't even be that big of a deal to switch between the two. The key would be to see all of the movies at once. I have little kids and I would say they watch movies or scenes at least 5 days a week. Switching inputs might be a little tricky, but with all of the movies listed in one place, we could probably figure it out. I would much rather have full integration, but if the other option is simpler and could come to market quicker, I would pick that up while waiting for full integration.

Is that the feedback you were looking for enadler?

I think K will sell a lot of Encore systems to existing customers once they integrate. That brings revenue to the store. And- they need Paramount...

Back