• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Flash coming from new 3u server

MikeG

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I have a new 3u server. Currently it is situated in an equipment rack below my monitor. I have noticed a flash of white light coming from the unit approximately once an hour. Really strange. Haven't noticed a drop in streaming when it happens but it is a bit annoying and definitely distracting.

Is this "normal" for this product? Never happened with my previous 1u server.

Thanks in advance.

I've not ever seen that... if it were a BLUE flash, it may indicate a disc issue, but white flash doesn't make much sense to me.

Wish I could help... haven't seen that. email support?

Yes I will contact them. Just wondering if any others had had this issue

The light is definately white

Thanks for responding

I would be concerned about the source of the "white flash".

Initially I would ask the dealer to inspect the server ASAP. There is a possibility that the observed "flash" could originate from a poor electrical contact.

Might be worth checking the drives for signs of overheating or arcing. It is always worth ensuring hard drives in any server are securely seated.

I would not leave the server in use unattended until the matter has been resolved.

I know of a TV that "flashed" a couple of times.... a few weeks later it was on fire.

Wow. Will do. It has been going on since receiving it one month ago. Thanks

I agree with that concern. Maybe its being overly cautious but Id power it down and disconnect the power cable and get on the email and phone with Kaleidescape support. Maybe once its all unplugged take a picture of the area that looks like where its coming from and email them.

Hey mike -- I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I have a ~2 month old 3U and I've also seen sporadic flashing. I don't think it happens as regularly as every hour, and I've never been looking directly at it when it happens, but it definitely gets my attention. I suspect it's something to do with the blue LED lighting, since it has never occurred while I had the lights turned completely off.

Mine currently directly in front of me. Although there doesn't seem to be a specific definitive time, mine occurs at least once an hour. I like watching in a dark room ;)

Have you contacted K about it yet? We probably have a similar build date for our units. I'll check mine tonight and let you know.

I would be willing to bet it is some LED that is flashing but certainly would want to make sure just in case.

So I return from work to check out the system after speaking to K support. It turns out that the third disc has its blue led flashing. I did power the unit down, check and rechecked that it was seated properly by removing it and reseating making sure it had the same "feel" as my other discs (my system has 8 3Tb drives that are 6 weeks old). Same thing -- flashing blue led.

What does this mean? Is the drive in danger of failing?

Hey Lion, did you check your discs? are you experiencing the same blue flashing led?

I do have one -- always have. But I thought that was supposed to indicate which disk is the hot spare...?

dont know?!? need someone with more experience to chime in.

Ok. Thanks. Back to zero then. Tech is calling me back tomorrow. Hopefully they have more ideas.

Transepoch is right. The led light on the hot spare in the 3U server is supposed to flash blue ever couple of seconds. (A flashing or solid amber/orange light would indicate an issue with drive.) I would consider keeping the front case of the server open to see you can see the write flashing light.

Ok. Thanks. I fell asleep after about five minutes watching tv after work (play violin here) so I didn't notice it last night. I will try again tonight with the unit open.

I will also be speaking with service again today. Hopefully they have other ideas.

Thanks for the input

Back