• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

First Netflix streaming app

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I came across this disc while going through my storage this weekend. Some of you will remember this disc. Those who have no clue, here is a little story about it.

IMG_3569.jpeg

In late 2006, Sony rushed the Blu-ray disc format incomplete to the market to compete with Toshiba’s HD-DVD format which launched a couple of months earlier. There were major revisions to the format in the next 2 years. One of these revisions was BD-Live which brought online interactive features to the format. When a BD-Live embedded Blu-ray disc title played on a BD-Live capable Blu-ray player, it could access additional online content and extras which aren’t present on the disc.

All Blu-ray disc player sold up to this point became obsolete because they lacked the software and hardware needed for BD-Live with one exception. Within a year after its release Playstation 3 (PS3) was already the best selling Blu-ray player. It already had online interactive functions for gaming and its operating system (OS) could be updated. Sony released a major operating system update which made PS3 the first BD-Live capable Blu-ray disc player.

Netflix first started as a DVD by mail service, later offered streaming movies on a web browser on computers. They had no competitors but streaming on a computer limited their reach. There were no Apple or Android TVs yet. They saw BD-Live as an opportunity which enabled a very clever work around to have their online streaming catalog available to PS3 owners without any revisions needed to the PS3 OS. They started mailing this disc free of charge to their subscribers who owned a PS3. You would put this disc in your PS3 to launch it like an ordinary Blu-ray disc, utilizing the disc’s BD-Live functions, you would then access all of Netflix‘s streaming content. PS3 had very powerful hardware for its time. This Netflix disc on PS3 worked superbly until they released the first native app integrated into the PS3 OS shortly after.

If my memory serves me well, Samsung BD-2550 was the first Blu-ray disc player with built in native Netflix streaming app. It was released shortly after this Netflix disc along side with the BD-2500. They were identical except the BD-2550 was a Best Buy exclusive and had the Netflix app built in. I was working for Best Buy at the time as a Home Theater consultant/designer. I remember the sales weren’t great. Best Buy gave up on its interest in Netflix and launched VUDU on a dedicated hardware shortly after. The initial VUDU box was similar in how it worked to Kaleidescape Strato with built in storage. Maybe I will write about the initial VUDU box on a different thread later.

Nice write up! (My memory is likely wrong, but I thought LG's BD300 was the first Blu-ray player with built-in access to Netflix??)

Jim

Nice write up! (My memory is likely wrong, but I thought LG's BD300 was the first Blu-ray player with built-in access to Netflix??)

Jim
They were released within weeks from each other. I am not 100% on which was the very first.

Samsung BD-2550 had Silicon Optix's HQV Reon system on chip (SoC) for its video processing. I preferred its video quality over PS3 and other Blu-ray players of the time. LG used Marvel's Qdeo SoC which is on par with the HQV Reon but only in their Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo player, not in their Blu-ray only players. Maybe why I am a bit biased towards the Samsung.

There were about only 2000 Blu-ray discs released by this time. So majority of the films and TV shows were still DVD only. Again, if my memory doesn't betray me, I believe Netflix required 3mbps internet speeds for streaming. That's barely SD territory. Good video processing meant a lot.

I forgot to mention, Netflix continued its DVD by mail service to this date but it will end it on September 29th, 2023.

DVD.COM_Newsroom_936x622.gif

But will they think to cancel their mailing license, so folks don't ring-up a ton of return postage sending them back anyway?

Back