• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Excel Access to ALL movies (downloaded and not downloaded)

audioguy123

I have no clue where to post this and will move this thread if appropriate.

I am trying to get an Excel spreadsheet of ALL of the movies (I don't care about cataloged) that I own on K-Scape, both downloaded AND not downloaded. How do I go about getting that accomplished?

With Strato/Terra systems, I believe the only printable version available is the one you access at the very bottom of your Movies list using the browser, but this list shows movies stored on the system, and will not show movies that are owned but not downloaded. Although "Not downoaded" movies can be seen in the My Movies section of the Store using that filter, there is no way to download a list AFAIK.

Premiere systems also have a printable list in their Movies section in the browser, but it's at the top of the page.

Jim

And that is the issue - there is NO way for me to get a printable list of all of the K movies I have purchased. That same list shows "cataloged" movies which are clearly NOT on my Terra (and about which I care zero), so why can't it show the "not on my Terra" movies I have purchased?

It's not perfect, but what I did, is went to the Kaleidescape store online, then the My Movies section, and clicked the download all button, and then selected the movie titles in the pop-up overlay and copied them into excel. Had to do a bit of formatting, but they did paste as separate rows in the spreadsheet, so it wasn't too bad.

This is something I was looking for this weekend also. With the Store growing exponentially it is outpacing my storage so having the ability to have this list in a spreadsheet would be very useful and would allow for every type of sorting option without K having to do all the programing. Thanks for the tip!

Glad someone (@JWort93) took the time to come up with a workable solution, but it would be nice to get the same info with a couple of button presses!

Jim

Great small feature update here. In same situation as @Noah Winter while I am saving up for another server to add to my system so having this kind of information would be great with a few commands.

This may be a useful way to accomplish what you want to do:

1. Download the movies from the browser interface that currently reside on your server (directly to Excel) as you mention.
2. Go to the K-Store, tap on All My Movies; then tap on Not Downloaded. Then, you can follow the instructions above, but at least you'll have far fewer movies to have to format into Excel.

P.S. There is possibility that "Not Downloaded" movies may contain versions that you have already downloaded in a different version (e.g. HD vs HDR), but I have not test this.

This may be a useful way to accomplish what you want to do:

1. Download the movies from the browser interface that currently reside on your server (directly to Excel) as you mention.
2. Go to the K-Store, tap on All My Movies; then tap on Not Downloaded. Then, you can follow the instructions above, but at least you'll have far fewer movies to have to format into Excel.

P.S. There is possibility that "Not Downloaded" movies may contain versions that you have already downloaded in a different version (e.g. HD vs HDR), but I have not test this.
So when you start getting close to your hard drive limit can you offload movies to make space and then download those movies again from Kaleidescape anytime you want them? Is there a downside to this approach? Sounds like you could own a lot more movies than what could fit on your own server. Is that right?

You can delete and redownload movies as often as you like. The downside is any content you delete stops appearing on your system until you redownload it. And yes, you can own many, many more movies than what fit on your system.

I have 300+ movies that have been deleted to make room for new purchases. My system (a 40TB Terra and 10 TB Strato) currently has 1202 movies downloaded to it in a combination of HDR, HD, and some SD quality download.

Andy

Another downside I've run into is that if you delete a title and redownload it, if you had added custom cover art or added it to a collection, all of that is deleted. Many folks don't add their own cover art which makes that a moot point, but if you take the time to create collections and add titles to them, it is something to be aware of.

Andy

With the exception of custom cover art or disc details, I see no downside to deleting movies. In fact, I have been deleting movies that I did not enjoy even though I still have storage space. It seems completely sensible to me that deleted movies do not appear on the system (since they no longer are effectively part of the system).

Both the browser and app allow you to view non-downloaded movies, which makes it very easy to keep track and re-download if wanted.

The only potential concern that I would have is whether "excessive" deletions and re-downloads would ever possibly corrupt the "library/file system," but I have not encountered any problems over the years.

Back