• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DVD CCA appeal "settled"?

Becky, thank you.

Heres a question: what about those of us with multiple servers. What if we wanted to upgrade 1 of X servers in the future, would that new server be considered Legacy? And then what about the other server in the system, if that were upgraded at a future date?

Yeah, I guess basically I currently own 3 servers. I'd like to be sure I really own three *legacy* servers. Ie. I can sell one or two of them as legacy servers and still own a legacy server myself.

--Donnie

I don't think there is such a thing as a legacy server, only legacy systems.

If you sell it to someone else, it would take on the status of their system. If it's added to an existing legacy system, then it has DVD import functionality. If it's a new kscape owner and is registered to a new system, then it doesn't have that functionality.

Something earlier specifically said that the number of legacy systems could not increase. I would think that splitting your existing system into 2 or 3 separate systems would be considered an increase in legacy systems and not allowed.

So, if you want more than one legacy system, you would have to split them before November 30th.

They also defined a system of at least one server and one player (or a C1). So, you could split a single player and single server away from your existing setup before November 30th as a legacy system and then sell the player and server together after November 30th as a complete legacy system.

This is just my interpretation, so I could be wrong.

If you have 3 servers, then at any time one can reconfigure the servers to be three separate systems on your network (not tied together). Based on this reasoning these 3 servers should all be legacy systems.

John

I don't think there is such a thing as a legacy server, only legacy systems.

If you sell it to someone else, it would take on the status of their system. If it's added to an existing legacy system, then it has DVD import functionality. If it's a new kscape owner and is registered to a new system, then it doesn't have that functionality.

Something earlier specifically said that the number of legacy systems could not increase. I would think that splitting your existing system into 2 or 3 separate systems would be considered an increase in legacy systems and not allowed.

So, if you want more than one legacy system, you would have to split them before November 30th.

They also defined a system of at least one server and one player (or a C1). So, you could split a single player and single server away from your existing setup before November 30th as a legacy system and then sell the player and server together after November 30th as a complete legacy system.

This is just my interpretation, so I could be wrong.

None of my servers are part of the same system now. One is sitting idle. One is my main system. The other is going to a vacation house, which we just had defined as a separate system, too. So I guess technically it's the idle one in limbo. We've also been told the number of legacy servers wouldn't go *down*, so...

--Donnie

I have a specific question that perhaps Becky can hopefully answer.

In the past, when K has released larger hard drives, I have purchased new drives through my dealer with KOS preloaded. I then borrow my brother-in-law's server. I remove his drives, place my new drives in his server and replicate the content from my 'old' file system to my new drives. When replication is complete, I return the borrowed server to my brother-in-law.

Come November, after the DVD sunset provision is in effect, will I still be able to do this? My brother in-law and myself will both have grandfathered status, and have two distinct separate systems, but during a replication the two systems are in effect 'merged' for that time period.

I wouldn't want either of us to lose any future DVD importing or storage privileges as a result of any confusion/grey area arising from his server showing up online linked to my server during a replication process.

My instincts say this should not be a problem, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.

I think a lot of the confusion from customers is coming from the fact that they are not aware of the customer management side your dealer has access to. This is set up when they sell you a system, or a used system is registered to a new user.

This contains a list of equipment you have and the status of all. If you have purchased used equipment you need to make sure Kaleidescape transfers it to your account. I'm pretty sure these customer lists are the basis of a legacy system.

Donnie, if you have three servers under one account, they may currently work in three separate locations, but if you were to sell the vacation home server to a new user after the deadline it would not support DVD import. You would need them to create the separate user accounts before the deadline. IE, Donnie home, Donnie vacation, Donnie rv. Then you would be the current owner of three legacy systems. You would most likely need at least one player paired with each server to make that happen.

The flip side to this, and the only way I see to accurately make it work, is for Kaleidescape to only allow equipment under a single account to function together. So bedbug may not be able to borrow his brothers server in the future. If you were to move the Donnie rv server to your house or vacation home account without replacing it, the Donnie rv account would probably cease to exist.

Kevin D.

This doesn't "feel" right to me. If it is correct, then it raises a ot of questions:

1) If I separate all my severs prior to Nov. 30th so that they are all "legacy" systems, then what happens at a future date if I connect them back together?
2) what exactly is an "account"? Is it the account that I set up for downloads on the K store? What happens if I have a server that is separate but has never been set up for downloads?
3) If we do need to separate servers to make them "legacy", will K notify all it's customers prior to the November date so that they know to do this?

This is one issue that we need a clarification from Kaleidescape.

John

This doesn't "feel" right to me. If it is correct, then it raises a ot of questions:

1) If I separate all my severs prior to Nov. 30th so that they are all "legacy" systems, then what happens at a future date if I connect them back together?

2) what exactly is an "account"? Is it the account that I set up for downloads on the K store? What happens if I have a server that is separate but has never been set up for downloads?

I'm just going by how they are wording everything and how it appears it will work.

Every dealer has access to a "System Dashboard" where we can see the status of all the systems will have sold. If we sell a customer an upgrade, this gets sold under the existing system dashboard. If we sell a customer a system for a different location, a new system dashboard is created for that location. These are different then the store account. When you purchase a movie from the store, you can download it on 5 different systems, these would be the separate dashboards. All would be linked to one store account.

You would not want to separate servers into separate systems unless they are physically located at different locations. Definitely not for the purpose of resale later on. I would imagine at some point Kaleidescape will not allow you to group devices with your system until they are moved into your dashboard from that item's previous dashboard. With the chaos possible, I'm sure this will be a manual process on their end.

If you have two locations, two servers, and two dashboards you have two legacy systems. If you brought them together to have one large system, the empty location would cease to have a dashboard and you would then only have one legacy system. If you broke it apart after that, two things could happen:

1) You sell a server to a customer who has a legacy system, that server is moved to their dashboard, that customer still has a legacy system with a higher capacity.

2) You sell a server to a new customer. This new customer registers the system which creates a new dashboard. This system does not support DVD imports.

For purchasing servers, if you have a system dashboard with legacy status, any server you buy (new from them, used from a legacy system, or in the future used from a non-legacy system) will assume the characteristics of your dashboard.

If you sell your complete system, they can change the registered customer information on the dashboard and that new customer can have a legacy system.

The key here is no NEW customer dashboards with DVD import ability after Nov 30th. It does not matter what equipment is under that dashboard, it's the status of that dashboard itself.

Kevin D.

Thanks Kevin. It's hard to follow when I havn't seen things from the dealers side (I don't know what a dashboard is or what it looks like.

For the record, I at one point had a 1st generation Cinema One and a 1U set up as two separate systems. I used the C1 for CD's and DVD's and the 1U and M700 for BR. I have moved on from that now.

John

I would guess if you look on the Kaleidescape store and you have two "systems" to download into, you have two systems. If there is just one, you currently have just one "system".

Nothing spacial about the dashboard really. Just a quick glance at a particular system to know how it's doing.

Kevin D.

Attachments

• dashboard.jpg
    dashboard.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 40
I'm more confused than ever now.

How could a 1U server ever *not* be a legacy server? None have been *produced* after Nov 30, 2014, for one thing. Given that, I can't see how they could ever NOT be legacy no matter what you do with it. Same with 5U and first gen Cinema One. I gotta think anyone creating a new system with a serial number from one of those should just automatically be legacy...

--Donnie

I'm sure there has got to be a provision for replicating content when new drives are purchased. Obviously some users own 2 servers and this is a non-issue, but what if you only own one? You have no choice but to borrow one from another user (like I usually do) or have your dealer facilitate the process by renting you a server or having them do the replication for you on their end.

I'm more confused than ever now.

How could a 1U server ever *not* be a legacy server? None have been *produced* after Nov 30, 2014, for one thing. Given that, I can't see how they could ever NOT be legacy no matter what you do with it. Same with 5U and first gen Cinema One. I gotta think anyone creating a new system with a serial number from one of those should just automatically be legacy...

--Donnie

Well, so far nothing has been produced after that date, but the 1U servers are still for sale.

The issue with creating a legacy system with a 5U server automatically is then a person can buy a 5U server, gaining legacy system status. Then add a 3U server, which is added to their "legacy" system. They then sell the 5U server to the next person who gets a new "legacy system" and repeats this process. Using that model, I could sell legacy systems forever if I sell each new client an old 5U server to start their system with for one day.

That is why you cannot automatically get legacy status on new systems buying old gear.

I'm sure there has got to be a provision for replicating content when new drives are purchased. Obviously some users own 2 servers and this is a non-issue, but what if you only own one? You have no choice but to borrow one from another user (like I usually do) or have your dealer facilitate the process by renting you a server or having them do the replication for you on their end.

If Kevin's theory about not being able to group multi-system servers holds, then any new dealers wouldn't be able to offer replication services to legacy clients without K making sure to have a stable of legacy systems to allocate, which seems far more unwieldy to solve... what problem?

What Existing Owners Need to Know
In short, Legacy customers are not impacted by the injunction.

? The injunction will have no effect on products purchased from Kaleidescape prior to November 30, 2014.
? These legacy systems will continue to be able to import and play DVDs, Blu-ray discs and CDs just as before.
? It is a Legacy system, not a Legacy server. A Legacy system will still be able to import DVDs and play them back without the physical DVD being present, even if a new server is added after November 30. Storage of imported DVDs will not be restricted to the old server.
? Kaleidescape will continue to fully support existing systems. This includes the ability to replace defective components or add new components (servers, players and vaults) to existing systems.
? It will also be possible to remove a Legacy system from a home and install it in a different home without changing the fact that it is a Legacy system.

I am getting more confused as well. Line 1 of Becky's post, states that ANY Kaleidescape product "purchased from Kaleidescape prior to November 30, 2014" is a legacy product. This is every single system in existence as of today.
This seems to imply if a 'new' user purchases a second hand system 5 years from now, the only deciding factor that should determine if it has legacy status would be... was it first sold to the original owner before Nov. 30th 2014 or after. They key here being "purchased from Kaleidescape", nothing mentioned about the secondary market. Opinions?

Line one probably should have read "will have no effect on systems purchased from K", but then people would wonder if second hand system purchases and products are covered.

The only issue I could see from used purchases is if Kaleidescape has no idea who you are. IE, you bought a used system or made a system from used parts and never went through the registration and legal agreement.

Theoretically, K could see the public IP address of every piece of equipment checking in and see what systems have devices checking in from multiple IP's.

There might be something like that going on internally all ready.

Kevin D.

If I buy a used system (KSERVER 2500 and KPLAYER 5000) off eBay, will this system then be grandfathered in as a DVD server? Will I then be able to add a 3U and M class players to the system later, with the entire system being to import DVDs?

Back