• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DVD CCA appeal "settled"?

I also don't see 3D in the picture

When you consider the cost of a Kscape MSeries player I would expect that it would play ALL the formats that can be played by standard Blu-Ray or UHD whatever player as they come out. It is crazy to have a solution like Kscape that cannot handle all of the major formats (2D, 3D, UHD).

If Kscape wants to be perceived as a leader then I believe this is table stakes. I really like my Kscape system, but I think it is crazy I have to run to my equipment room to play 3D or go with one of the low cost media players that playback 3D MKVs or ISOs. The whole reason I went with Kscape was I did not want to continue to mess with the media player of the day or XBMC and having to work out ripping challenges, compatibility challenges, etc.

My $0.02.

Bryan

I agree Bryan. Kaleidescape is a luxury product and it should not have limitations that make you wonder what in the world you were thinking when you got it.

I personally don't care about 3D but thats just me. They should have it.

Anyone still working on posting the FAQs from the dealer extranet regarding the decision?

I've compiled the FAQs into the most relevant bullet points. If you feel you still have unanswered questions, feel free to email me becky.parker@kaleidecsape.com

What Will Change After November 30th
In short, DVDs cannot be imported. DVDs can still be played from the tray or vault, or converted to a digital copy using the Kaleidescape Store.

? Systems sold by Kaleidescape on or after November 30, 2014 will not be able to import CSS-protected DVDs.
? The injunction does not apply to Blu-ray discs or CDs.
? All Kaleidescape Systems will be able to play a DVD directly from the physical disc, without importing it. Even when played from the physical disc, you can start a DVD at the beginning of the feature, or jump to a favorite scene or song.
? A new kOS release will permit you to play a DVD directly from the optical disc drive in a Kaleidescape M700 or DV700 disc vault.
? Systems in the United States will be able to take advantage of Kaleidescape's Disc-to-Digital offers to download electronic versions of the same movies and achieve the same disc-free Kaleidescape experience.
? We are working with the major studios and expect to have a much broader selection of content on our Store before the end of the year.

What Existing Owners Need to Know
In short, Legacy customers are not impacted by the injunction.

? The injunction will have no effect on products purchased from Kaleidescape prior to November 30, 2014.
? These legacy systems will continue to be able to import and play DVDs, Blu-ray discs and CDs just as before.
? It is a Legacy system, not a Legacy server. A Legacy system will still be able to import DVDs and play them back without the physical DVD being present, even if a new server is added after November 30. Storage of imported DVDs will not be restricted to the old server.
? Kaleidescape will continue to fully support existing systems. This includes the ability to replace defective components or add new components (servers, players and vaults) to existing systems.
? It will also be possible to remove a Legacy system from a home and install it in a different home without changing the fact that it is a Legacy system.

Thanks Becky for this as whilst I was made aware of the impact for legacy systems earlier I know a lot of people here where not and this clarification is what we have been waiting for.

I was under the impression that DVDs would act like Blu-rays, but this says that DVDs won't be able to be imported AT ALL. Two players would not be able to play back two different DVDs that are in the same vault. A small benefit would be that DVDs won't take up server space.

As far as legacy system vs. legacy server goes...

Based on this, if you sell equipment, it could lose its legacy status.

E.g. Someone buys a 3u server to replace a 1u server. The new 3u server would have DVD import functionality since it's added to a legacy system. If they then sell the 1u server to someone who has never owned a kscape system, it would not maintain its legacy status because they would have to register it as a new system. This could significantly impact the resale value.

Last edited:
I hope BDs are also given the ability to go D2D without importing... would be nice to not have to take the step of importing a disc just to get the discounted rate (presuming a sufficient amount of content is present in the digital version.)

Shame that DVDs will flat-out not import. That is going to add some significant extra wear on the vaults' mechanics.

E.g. Someone buys a 3u server to replace a 1u server. The new 3u server would have DVD import functionality since it's added to a legacy system. If they then sell the 1u server to someone who has never owned a kscape system, it would not maintain its legacy status because they would have to register it as a new system. This could significantly impact the resale value.

Yes and no.

The way I think about this is that if you want TWO "legacy" systems, you need to buy that second server before Nov30. Upgrading your server after that with a *new* server does mean that your old server can't be sold as a legacy one, but that's because you are *keeping* a legacy server. In an ideal world, K would let YOU decide which one is legacy and which one isn't, however, so that if you WANTED to sell it as a legacy server you could (who knows, at some point there may be customers out there who have converted everything they care about to download content and don't NEED a legacy server any more and want to sell it BECAUSE the market for it is better).

It may make sense to not buy a NEW server but instead buy a USED legacy server to do your upgrade with and then you *can* sell your old server as a legacy system, I assume. You'd have to compare new versus used prices on the entire transaction both ways to see which makes more sense, including what value you place on the warranty situation you end up in either way.

And in a way, if you *did* need a second server for a vacation home or yacht or whatever, it sounds like buying a second server NEW *after* Nov30, and adding it to your existing "system" by putting it on the same account means you really *do* get "two" legacy servers. And you could do that for up to five servers, IIRC. You can't sell them as legacy servers later (none of the post-Nov30 adds, I mean), but that still seems fair to me.

--Donnie

Two comments:

1) It would be nice to know if we get the option to pick which system is the legacy.

2) I asked about getting a system for a second home and was told that I needed to get it by November as adding a system after that was a new system since it does not tie (and can not tie in) to my current system.

John

T2) I asked about getting a system for a second home and was told that I needed to get it by November as adding a system after that was a new system since it does not tie (and can not tie in) to my current system.

Interesting. So a post-Nov30 system wouldn't replicate DVD imports from another system? I guess that makes sense. And changes what I said above significantly.

In my head, I was thinking system was analogous to your K "account" and thus any server registered on the same account was part of the same "system." But apparently that's not the case if what you were told is correct.

--Donnie

There have been a few more questions posted and emailed to me, so here is more information to help clarify.

If you are a dealer and you still have questions, please call your Account Manager as it will give us a better insight into how to better communicate the upcoming changes. Also, feel free to ping my email if you need any help becky.parker@kaleidescape.com. Many of you have very specific “what if” sales questions. I can help direct those to our inside Sales Team to help.

? What defines a “legacy system?”
A Kaleidescape System is defined as a combination of a server and player (or Cinema One), within a single location such as a home, yacht or private aircraft. A system this purchased prior to November 29th is a legacy system.

? If I buy an additional system after November 30th for a second home is it a legacy system?
No, it is not, because a second residence constitutes a new system.

? If I sell my entire system to someone does it maintain its legacy status?
Yes.

? What happens when I replicate from legacy server to a non-legacy server?
The non-legacy server will only import copies of your Blu-ray and CD content, so none of the CSS-protected DVD content would be copied over. Your non-legacy system would need a disc vault or disc tray to play back your DVDs or they would need to be digitally converted using the Kaleidescape Store.

? Why can’t I play back a DVD in multiple zones on a non-legacy system?
Multi-zone playback is only available for titles stored on your systems hard drive. Since the DVD is not imported, it can only be played back in the zone where the disc resides, either in the vault or tray.

? Will disc to digital offers be made available for both DVDs and Blu-ray discs without the need to import?
Yes.

? If I buy a second Cinema One after November 30th, can I still link them and share my content between them? Will they both import CSS-protected DVDs?
Yes, two linked Cinema Ones are considered a system, so both units will be able to import CSS-protected DVDs.

? If I upgrade my Cinema One to a Premiere Line system after November 30th, with it still be a legacy system?
Yes.

Becky,
Thanks for all the clarifications! I very much appreciate it and I am sure many others do as well.

A new kOS release will permit you to play a DVD directly from the optical disc drive in a Kaleidescape M700 or DV700 disc vault.
?

? Why can?t I play back a DVD in multiple zones on a non-legacy system?
Multi-zone playback is only available for titles stored on your systems hard drive. Since the DVD is not imported, it can only be played back in the zone where the disc resides, either in the vault or tray.

How will this work for the DV700 since it isn't really a zone?

How will this work for the DV700 since it isn't really a zone?

Those two comments are not related. The reference to enabling the DV700 to Playback from the optical drive has to do with K deciding to "assist" in the DVD Playback function from the vault because a persistent copy will not be permitted to be installed on a drive.

The answer to the multi-zone question describes a physical limitation in that you can only playback to multiple zones simultaneously if the content is stored on a drive, which will not be permitted for DVD in a non-legacy system after November 29th.

Jim

That's what I originally thought, but "it can only be played back in the zone where the disc resides" was throwing me off.

Ahh.....understood.

Jim

Becky, thank you.

Heres a question: what about those of us with multiple servers. What if we wanted to upgrade 1 of X servers in the future, would that new server be considered Legacy? And then what about the other server in the system, if that were upgraded at a future date?

Back