• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DVD CCA appeal "settled"?

If that's the case, and even if I lose DVD import on my existing system (assuming it still works in the vault), then I'd consider it a win overall. Even better would be the reason for the delay is because there are movie studios ready to sign-on to the download store and they want to temper the bad news with some good news, too.

Sadly I'd guess the delay is simply to have the software ready to roll-out that kills DVD import.

Is there any reason to think we'll COMPLETELY lose DVD support (other than playing on in a tray) rather than just having DVDs limited the same way Blu-Rays are now?

--Donnie

I doubt you will lose DVD import. If it is changed, it may require an Ultraviolet license fee to import. Remember almost all Ultraviolet studios provide DVD to Digital programs.

I Hope you are all wrong as I believe there is great value in the ability to archive DVD's that are not redibly available on DVD.

Being as K initiated the action to settle, why would K not be prepared for the aftermath including any software updates. Makes me want to believe that the delay is as much the CCA as it is K. I do believe that the inclusion of UV is somehow connected and still scratch my head about the inconsistency of UV at K vs other vendors including vudu, etc. I see K as a major upgrade to the UV platform.

I look forward to some sort of communication as I am already reaching the max capacity for my first 1U Ksystem, and certainly won't be buying any more equipment until after I get clarity. Amazing to think I have purchased 100's of movies via DVD and Bluray over the last couple months and now there is a chance I will stop, on account of studios and the CCA...

Who knows- maybe it will be only new systems cannot import DVD whereas existing systems can still import DVD or might have a grace period whereby you can do so? Pure speculation on my part just for the sake of discussion. Btw, I'm not saying I would be happy about such a thing.

I Hope you are all wrong as I believe there is great value in the ability to archive DVD's that are not redibly available on DVD.

Being as K initiated the action to settle, why would K not be prepared for the aftermath including any software updates. Makes me want to believe that the delay is as much the CCA as it is K. I do believe that the inclusion of UV is somehow connected and still scratch my head about the inconsistency of UV at K vs other vendors including vudu, etc. I see K as a major upgrade to the UV platform.

I look forward to some sort of communication as I am already reaching the max capacity for my first 1U Ksystem, and certainly won't be buying any more equipment until after I get clarity. Amazing to think I have purchased 100's of movies via DVD and Bluray over the last couple months and now there is a chance I will stop, on account of studios and the CCA...

There are a lot of films and tv shows that are available on DVD that may never be available on BR. This is especially true of World Cinema.

The UK download store opened with approx 430 titles available....that selection has increased to approx 480 titles. I still buy DVD's & BR, I would like to download more but the content is not available.

K is at present a worldwide product. If importation of DVD's is blocked it will lose appeal to many owners (that most definitely includes me).

At some point in the future I expect Kaleidescape will support 4K which will probably result in a new generation of hardware....bad news for DVD based collections?

At the beginning of this thread the CE Pro article mentioned legislation that is due for debate by the UK Parliament. It would appear the UK and US governments have differing positions on ripping DVD's.

The Home AV world is in a period of transition... I hope K does not get left behind.

So when can we expect the conditions of the settlement? Can they keep this information private indefinately?

We are still awaiting the official details from K, but November 30, 2014 looks like the date the DVD importing Injunction will go into affect. ( http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kaleidescape-dvd-cca-announce-settlement-220400269.html).

Obviously this means Server's sold after the 29th will only support "physical disc DVD" playback. More specific details about how, if at all, this settlement affects current owner's will hopefully be available from K soon. Stay tuned......:)

Jim

Interesting.
"Pursuant to the settlement agreement, the superior court at the request of Kaleidescape and DVD CCA modified the injunction to provide that it takes effect November 30, 2014. This permits Kaleidescape to continue selling systems that import CSS-protected DVDs through November 29. By then, Kaleidescape expects to have most DVD movies available for download from the Kaleidescape Store in the United States."

Which in combination with the end of the disk upgrade program means even upgrades will be subject, as they are basically new purchases... depending on the definition of "new system" anyway. Nifty.

At least we have time to get our ducks in a row before the shooting gallery commences.

... By then, Kaleidescape expects to have most DVD movies available for download from the Kaleidescape Store in the United States."

Lets hope that in less than 6 months the holdout studios are on board, maybe even some before then.

Lets hope that in less than 6 months the holdout studios are on board, maybe even some before then.

That's certainly what the article implies. We will see....

John

More studio's was one of the driving forces behind the settlement, so it's a given the Store will see more content over the coming months.

Jim

Which in combination with the end of the disk upgrade program means even upgrades will be subject, as they are basically new purchases... depending on the definition of "new system" anyway. Nifty.

At least we have time to get our ducks in a row before the shooting gallery commences.

This is one of the "more details" questions that remains to be answered, along with several others..........

Jim

I really hope this will allow Kaleidescape to implement a home movie upload feature on their system now. Having to burn blu-rays is so archaic now...

So much speculation and so little official announcement is just poor customer relations and not what I would have expected from a premium supplier!
I saw an article that in Europe the systems were to be sold as blu-ray only movie servers after the injunction is implemented with no DVD import capability. Not good when people like me buy 30+ DVD's for every blu-ray as the material is not generally available on blu-ray.
I saw in another article that the DVD needed to be in the tray to play but it would still be possible to jump to the film straight away - does that mean the tray only or in a vault like we have for blu-ray and that the disk is ripped or actually played from the tray.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the download store as it is currently more a corner shop operation for content that a serious store and there is a vast amount of material that comes from nowhere close to Hollywood that I would miss buying, watching and enjoying

My guess based on all this is that DVDs will basically end up with the same status as Blu-Rays now. I just can't see a good reason why they'd be completely tray-limited, but I suppose I could be wrong. The only reason for the movie industry to push THAT far would be because they want to EOL DVDs completely. But that would really suck for those folks who own stuff on DVD that probably won't ever get put on BR.

I think the reason for delay is because K is trying to at the very least get some major studio additions to the store all nailed down to be able to temper the bad news with very good news. And not just because of "news", but because they want to go ahead and have MOST people covered in terms of being able to "upgrade" to downloaded versions.

All speculation on my part based on what's been published so far.

--Donnie

I could live with all new DVD's loaded after the cutoff date having to be in a vault although it adds considerable cost for the convenience but as with all compromises it will be not perfect for anyone but it is a good compromise.

I could live with all new DVD's loaded after the cutoff date having to be in a vault although it adds considerable cost for the convenience but as with all compromises it will be not perfect for anyone but it is a good compromise.

While I agree that the total story remains untold, if this leads to the other studios playing ball with K I find it a great compromise. I certainly wouldn't mind adding a rare DVD to a changer if I have been able to remove 150 B_R or more discs from it simply by paying a few bucks to load the digital copy directly to the server. In other words, precisely what I do now with the two studios currently cooperating with K.

Back